X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JRPizza
    started a topic 39 inch Corner Build

39 inch Corner Build

I've been working on my oven for a little while and have been debating starting a build thread, as I probably won't have much to add in terms of artistry or inventiveness over the excellent work already posted on this forum. That said, I thought I would share what I have done and hopefully continue to get support from the great folks that have been helping me so far and others that might chime in. I have used CAD for my initial layouts that some may find interesting.
    I'll start with some pictures to show progress to date. First picture is the patio where the oven will be located. My Wife and I stained it ourselves and were pretty happy with the way it came out. Note we had supports sunk in the concrete for the uprights needed for the shelter we wanted to build. We weren't totally sure how big a structure we wanted or how the oven might look so I made a layout using Freecad.
    The Patio

• SableSprings
    replied
    Looking forward to hearing how this winter goes with the corner walls in place. They look great and it looks plenty bright enough with the lighting to keep you from smearing wasabi on the pizza instead of pesto . I've added my solar powered arrow/rope light and internal rope light "night shot" below for your amusement. The second photo is from this fall when I put up a set of color dragonfly lights under the front eve (solar powered string lights). Kinda fun to always have something flashing and glowing out there.

It's interesting how similar our party pits have turned out. I have considered putting something like your polycarbonate sheets over our screens during the colder months. Even mounting shower curtains over the screens would cut the wind and make folks more comfortable in the den. Just hasn't been a job that's percolated to the top of the list. I have put some firebricks (wrapped in foil) at the mouth of the oven to warm up and then wrapped them in towels for foot and lap warmers. Beats a second and third blanket while being a much better conversation starter

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied
    Great! night shot JR,

I think that you now have a usable year round oven. It is sort of funny how different folks, from different parts, have different needs, to make that all possible .

Leave a comment:

• JRPizza
    replied
    Here's a night shot showing how the lights reflect off the panels.
    Last edited by JRPizza; 10-28-2017, 09:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JRPizza
    replied
    We ended up using Twinwall polycarbonate panels for the walls. They let in plenty of light, and in our opinions have a “classier” appearance. I put in some horizontal boards along the floor and at hearth height, with the plan of attaching the panels along the top, bottom, and close to the midpoint. Here are some pictures of how it turned out. We finished the wiring before the walls went up and added 2 always on outlets for TV, cooking etc, a switched outlet for our ambience lights, and ran wire out to the middle of the shelter (switched) for a future fan, oven spot light or whatever else we decide to install. With the walls up we finished the gutters and downspout. I came up with an idea to use the carriage bolts that hold the structure together to help hold the panels up and even attach the downspout.

Leave a comment:

• JRPizza
    replied
    Well, It has been just over a year since my last build related post. My need list at that point was wiring my enclosure, getting up the gutters, installing walls on South and West ends, and doing the decorative work on the dome and stand. I didn’t want to do the gutters and wiring until I figured out my walls, and didn’t want to do the walls till I finished the decorative work on the dome.
    The summer just flew by and as all know you can cook just fine without any of the above being completed. The decorative work is not done and we have not even finalized how we want it to look, but with the Northwest winter coming the walls, power, and, stopping the water pouring off the back of the roof took priority.
    First up was deciding what kind of walls to use. We were considering using solid lower walls with transparent/translucent uppers, but our son said we should consider using a product that would let light in the full height. This could have some advantages in simplicity and keeping the wind and water out with minimum upkeep (no yearly painting/staining). We got some corregated FG panels, and placed them to see how they looked. We decided to use them to fix the greenhouse and looked for a different product.

Leave a comment:

• patjer1
    replied
    Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    I used Uni-Extreme made by McGill Airseal it is good to 2400 F and environmentally friendly. I is NOT silicon based and sets up firm. Used it to seal in my CF rope on my arch heat break. [ATTACH=CONFIG]n383234[/ATTACH]
    I've found something flexible resistant to 1000°C, a product from Förch.Think I am going to use it between the inner and outer arch.
    Greetings
    Last edited by patjer1; 08-03-2017, 04:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• RandyJ
    replied
    For my heat break I used something I beleave was called Fiberex. I think it was rated to 2700F. I think most any of these should work though.

Randy

Leave a comment:

• JRPizza
    replied
    The product I used was 3M fire=block sealant FB 136. It was supposed to be good up to 2000 degrees, but the way I designed my arch I probably could have used homebrew. My rope sits on my inner arch and the vent arch kind of wraps around it so I probably didn't need anything. I sealed it on the "outside" but if I got a piece of wire up along my heat break I could probably touch my rope from the inside of my arch. If it does crack It won't matter.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    The main purpose of the sealant for me was just to seal the ceramic rope from exposure. It is on the outside of the dome and cover with other material so is it needed in my case, probably not. So other builders have used other materials but I do not know if there is flex to these products or not. It also depends of the type of heat break you use and temperature exposure.

Leave a comment:

• patjer1
    replied
    Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    I used Uni-Extreme made by McGill Airseal it is good to 2400 F and environmentally friendly. I is NOT silicon based and sets up firm. Used it to seal in my CF rope on my arch heat break. [ATTACH=CONFIG]n383234[/ATTACH]
    No need to have any flex in it?

Leave a comment:

• JRPizza
    replied
    Roof is holding up well, at least no leaks . The wind certainly pointed out the need for getting my walls upthough, but still haven't settled on the final dome finish, which I wanted to complete before I block off access.
    I'll post on how well the gasket works, but holding in all the hot air and not bleeding BTU's off the inner arch via direct contact with the door outer face has to be an improvement.

Leave a comment:

• SableSprings
    replied
    I thought I'd better check my memory on my door's weight...it actually weighed in at 17.8 lbs not 25 as I posted earlier. I'm thinking of trying the green egg gasket as well...so very interested in if you think it makes a difference. Incidentally, how's your roof holding up with this last week of heavy wind & rain?

Leave a comment:

• JRPizza
    replied
    I now have an "official" weight on my door - 10lb 9oz. Seems pretty good for a 4" door. The face sheet gets pretty warm but I guess that is to be expected sitting up against the hot inner arch. Just got my green egg gasket so will have to install it and see how much warmer the oven stays, and how much cooler the door is.

Leave a comment:

• JRPizza
    replied
    Yes, I checked out your door before I built mine - part of the reason I went with the 4" thickness
    The roof is great and we have been doing plenty of cooking in bad weather, but the rain is supposed to be horizontal later today . I have a tarp wrapped around the back side of the oven to try to keep the slab dry since the walls are not up. We are expecting to lose power tonight so planning on firing up the oven later today for pizza tonight and chickens tomorrow.
    Hope your party doesn't get rained out!
    PS, I just figured out what your "sigil" is - how fitting.
    Last edited by JRPizza; 10-15-2016, 11:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X