Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gulf
    replied
    It needs to be a workable consistency. "Playdough" is a pour description imo. Check this guy's video out. That is about what consistecy I used. It will go faster than you think, if you use a curved trial.

Leave a comment:

• JRPizza
    replied
    Another question while I'm at it. I saw a post saying mix up enough stucco to do your entire dome in one application, but I also saw Gulf say start at the bottom and work your way around, then repeat till you are at the top. I'm not going to be that fast, is it OK to not do the entire first layer in one continuous application?

Leave a comment:

• JRPizza
    replied
    I have a question about stucco consistency. I read everything I could find on the forum - plenty about dry ratios, but very little about how wet the stucco should be. I watched the FB youtube video and they said "playdough" consistency - is it really supposed to be that thick? Am I looking for something a little thicker than the consistency used for homebrew?

Leave a comment:

• JRPizza
    replied
    Hope you get a chance to - I'm sure we'd all love to see pictures and hear what they cook - both in pizza terms and local flavor. Russell Wong, roving reporter

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Thx JR. Did spot a couple WFOS today down the road/beach. So may have to Check em out.

Leave a comment:

• JRPizza
    replied
    Thanks Russell - I've still got a ways to go, but as you know, you just gotta cook and learn. I hope you and the wife are enjoying your travels and stay safe. Let me know when you are ready for some starter and I'll see if I can get some to you still alive . I think the trick is drying it out just before it is sent - will be a fun experiment. Supposedly once the starter starts living on your local water and breathing your local air, it will slowly change and take on different characteristics - at least that is what I have heard. I tend to use the levain very young/early in it's cycle so it is not very sour, what Chad Robertson calls fruity. If you use it young it has a subtle flavor - if you let it go a while you can get some tart bread.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Nice looking bread.

Leave a comment:

• JRPizza
    replied
    Did some Mother's day baking - a couple of pizzas for the family (which being the second attempt came out better than the first) and my 3rd batch of bread. Had the oven much hotter today, and misted/steamed it more when I put the bread in. The loaves are starting to look more like what I can get out of my dutch oven in the kitchen. Oven is still over 450 degrees, going to throw some ribs in to slow cook in the morning. Really starting to enjoy the oven now that we can cook in it

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Nice lath work. Agree with gulf. I'm in Phuket Thailand right now and SWMBO and i were craving a good wfo pizza . Striking out so far.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied
    JR,

It looks great to me. Since you took your time with the insulation, and it doesn't need shaping, I think that you are ready for stucco .

Leave a comment:

• JRPizza
    replied
    Got the lath 99% done today, following the method shown on the FB video that Gulf had provided a link to. Used a thin metal cutting blade in my 4.5" HF angle grinder and cut strips ~5.5" wide. Used tie wire to join the sections together. I was pleasantly surprised with how it came out, and all that is left is to add some small pieces around the inner arch and tying down a few edges. I am not sure if I am going to use a layer of p/v-crete or just try to render over the lath. I really don't need to correct for roundness or contour, so just want to do whatever I need to get a firm surface to eventually tile (or maybe just stucco over). If anyone wants to suggest a course of action I'd love to hear some ideas.
    Planning on cooking some Mother's day pizza for the family, so hoping for sunny weather.

Leave a comment:

• JRPizza
    replied
    Hang in there - it's a marathon, not a sprint (cliche I know, but true). I told my wife how good it felt to start reading threads on firing and cooking instead of being so locked into building, even though I have plenty left to do. I'm gonna start wrapping my dome with lath later today and If I can finish that by tomorrow I'll feel like I passed another milestone.

Leave a comment:

• joeykramer
    replied
    looks good JR! with all this rain in the northeast, this seems like such a far away place for me to get to...

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    Originally posted by JRPizza View Post

Practice makes perfect David - you could probably build one of these in your sleep
    yeah, i've done plenty, but not while asleep.

Leave a comment:

• JRPizza
    replied
    Tired to add these pics to the post above, but the forum is still acting up when I try to edit a post with an upload.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X