No announcement yet.

MY NEW 42"OVEN BUILD.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings everyone, I used drylok water proofing paint on my chimney. Also found old bricks that I split and also made a few corner pieces with. I intend on using thin set mixed with a polymer additive to mortar bricks to the chimney, has anyone used this method and please chime in with some advise.
    Thanks
    Ivan.

Comment

• Comment

• Not sure why but o can't upload pics.

Comment

• Comment

• I just used mortar to put brick slices on cement board for an outside oven facade. Remember that if you use thinset it will attach the brick slices to the board, but you'll still need to either use a grout or something else to "fill in the gaps". I'd just make up some mortar and use it to set the bricks against the board and to each other. I put a series of pictures below of the process I used. I hope that helps. I did a similar thing using split bricks around the clay flue tile of my chimney.

Be aware that you will get some moisture seepage through the brick and mortar...especially if you leave the top flat. Just put a little rise on the top, so water drains off quickly. If you can, it would even be worth it to use something like Redgard (waterproofing base sealer) to coat the box and edges before you start to brick & mortar.
            Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
            Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
            Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
            Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

• What type mortar did you use and thanks for your reply. I couldn't find the Redgard at HD or Lowe's so I went with the Dryloc brand. Did you mix your own mortar like the homebrew?
              Ivan

Comment

• I just used regular mortar since it wasn't going to see any heat. Bags of mortar are pretty cheap but if you have the ingredients for homebrew on hand I can't imagine that it wouldn't work just as well...and you could use the savings to buy yourself an adult beverage.

The Dryloc should be pretty effective as a waterproofing layer in this application...Redgard is used most often for sealing surfaces like the cement base of a shower pan. I liked it because it promised some flex and changed from red to pink when dried/cured. I don't see any mention of being able to apply it as a base for a thinset or mortar application, you might want to ask at the store you bought it or read the use label carefully to see the mortar will "stick" to it. Just make sure you clean & dry the surfaces well before applying the Dryloc, a little white vinegar should help take off any efflorescence and oils on the surface.
                Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
                Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
                Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
                Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Hey Ivan....what dough recipe do you use? I like a Lil thicker crust than the popular FB one ....yours look perfect
                  https://picasaweb.google.com/1029081...00165373509921

Comment

Working...
                  X