Block Stand Question - Pompeii 42"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RandyJ View Post
    I had the exact same thing on my build. I ran my bad as far down as you too. It is pretty amazing how much you can cut with one blade, but then it is all gone and it seam like where did it go. Here is mine. I love the rigid segmented blades. They work great and last a long time. Keep up the good work. I can't wait to see it when you are done.

Randy
    Not so much where did it go, I saw mine wore down.. but suddenly it was wanting to rip the bricks apart. Was a bit scary until I sorted it out. I was happy I bought an extra blade.. I ordered another blade yesterday as well so I can keep going tomorrow so I won't run pout.

I think I managed to avoid the droop on the oven vent as well as I built and tried to custom fit the bricks as I went. It looks okay but if I had more time I would have spent it here. Tonight I poured the lip!

Btw, what happend to your thread Randy? Did it get deleted??

Comment

I don't know what happened to my thread. It was there yesterday. I don't know if I made someone mad or what. I guess I shouldn't have posted about cooking a frozen pizza in there yesterday.

You are looking great. That front lip looks very familiar. Good job I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Randy

Comment

I did see that part.. and I cooked two pizzas from Aldi today! Since the rain had gone away I had to put in 4 hours of work on the oven after work and not cook yet another meal from scratch..

Comment

Made some good progress this weekend building the archway and integrating it into the dome. I didn't get the angle right on the archway, and am improvising. I am not sure if I will finish the sixth row by custom cutting the 3-4 pieces or using a grinder down the archway (after a week of letting it cure - I think it should be solid enough especially with the form still underneath?). On a good note - everything is level and don't see any drooping!

Comment

Looking good! As soon as you clear the arch the rest of the dome will go fast until you hit the plug, where you get to do some more custom cutting
            My build thread
            https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

I'll happily make that final custom cut! I had to head out of town for a few days, so probably won't get back to it until next weekend!

Comment

Yeager, very nice job on your WFO looks great. Our builds are progressing nicely and I too did not encounter the dreaded droop, although I am out of level by a 16th". I think that beveling the arch bricks for smoother dome transition was the ticket.
                Looking forward to the rest of your build, good luck.
                Ivan

Comment

Hey Yeager it is looking great. It won't be long before you plug the dome. It feels good to get that far. Then the rest of the work begins to finish everything else. Keep up the great work. I can't wait to see it.

Randy

Comment

You will feel great when you plug your dome but you won't be done with the custom cutting unless you are casting your vent. If you build it out of brick you will have plenty of chances to use your saw and ingenuity
                    My build thread

Comment

• For my vent I plan on making another archway with a vent on top. I think I need to go with a 8" for 42" oven correct? Can I buy a arched vent plate that goes from 12"x3" (or whatever makes sense) to 8"? I am going to go with a house with flue coming out at top , do I need to use stainless steel vent or should I just go with galvanized?

Thanks!

Yeager

Comment

• Originally posted by Yeager View Post
                        For my vent I plan on making another archway with a vent on top. I think I need to go with a 8" for 42" oven correct? Can I buy a arched vent plate that goes from 12"x3" (or whatever makes sense) to 8"? I am going to go with a house with flue coming out at top , do I need to use stainless steel vent or should I just go with galvanized?

Thanks!

Yeager
                        I ordered this from Menards: http://www.menards.com/main/heating-...69724446474099 as it is the only thing they don't carry in-store. The rest I plan on picking up there: Rain Cap, Flashing, 2' and 3' piece of 8" SuperVent. About $300 total.

I don't think I've seen a plate that goes from the 12x3 to 8" dia, so this was the best option I found locally. SSFBS really went through a lot of the Smithfield FB as they were almost out when I stopped by a week ago. I just finished my 10th course tonight and started on the vent base as well.

Comment

• Yep that is the same thing that I used. It is the only option I found without going to duravent witch seamed like it cost twice as much.

As for ssfbs it is boiler shutdown season now and if you and Yeager are building ovens you can bet many more people are too and not posting about it. Good luck and I hope the rest of the build goes well.

Randy

Comment

• Another vote for supervent! I used the same adapter. My vent opening was about 6.5" deep by 9.5" wide at the top, so transitioning to about 8.25 square to drop the adapter in was pretty easy. I did have to do quite a bit of custom cutting though.
                            An 8" pipe has about 50 square inches of cross section, so a 12X3 inch opening won't take advantage of all the pipe area. I think I read someone talking about creating a venturi effect with a smaller throat feeding their pipe, but I wanted to make sure all the smoke got into the chimney to hopefully lessen how much comes out the front.
                            My build thread

Comment

• Making Progress - just finished row 7! Have 4 more to go! The seventh row was the first row where the angles didn't match on the spreadsheet. Guessing I have around 7-8 more hours of work until the dome is finished.

Comment

• Hey All,
                                I am on row 10 of 11 (then keystone) and having trouble keeping bricks from falling. I even set one overnight and as I tried setting one against it it fell off!

I've heard of many techniques (exercise balls inflated, fill dome with sand, etc).. What do you suggest? I am really wanting to get the keystone in this weekend, but feeling a little intimidated!

thanks,
                                Yeager

Comment

Working...
                                X