Elizabeth's oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Elizabeth's oven

It goes more slowly than I wish. The arch was nearly the death of me- trying to get the bricks cut the way I needed nearly made my head explode. At the top on the right and left, I have 2 bricks combined in a trapezoid sort of shape, to be wide enough to support the 1/2 bricks in the arch. I had to cut one off at an angle so it didn't encroach into the dome area, and my saw wouldn't do it. I finally got a blade for my husband's 10 inch chop saw and did it with that. Dusty as all get out, but it worked.

Then, my lack of mason's skills was manifested during the building of the arch. Not enough hands and I never seem to get the mortar the right consistency. I'm only making a little up at a time, so it doesn't go hard on me, but all told, I think I would rather mix up mortar for tile any day! More predictable, and I don't have to stick it on something and then turn it upside down....

I have a bit of the second ring done too. I'm using Ken's string system to align the brick, it's working well. I am also using an ungodly number of shims to get the correct angle.

Lots of cutting tomorrow so I can go faster on the dome- I'll try to get better pictures too.
    Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Elizabeth,

Looks great...

I think the arches caused me great angst as well. What I did was used a styrofoam form and place all my bricks in place with wedges to space the accordingly. I then just pushend in mortar from the front and packed it in. I waited awhile, took out my shims and packed in mortar from the back. I used a small trowel and my "gloved" hands.

I'm sure masons are 'rolling over' but this worked for me...

Keep up the great work.

Dick

I haven't official finished, but already I see what everyone says in that it doesn't matter what it looks like.

Comment

Looks really good Elizabeth. Enjoy your build, because its over before you know it. Now that I'm done with all the hard work, I actually miss the struggles.
        "Pizza, the world's most perfect food."

Comment

Originally posted by PizzaJNKY View Post
          Looks really good Elizabeth. Enjoy your build, because its over before you know it. Now that I'm done with all the hard work, I actually miss the struggles.
          Ha! I think I will be struggling afterward with sourdough and its mysteries, achieving the perfect crust, and figuring out how to get more in the oven than will fit!
          Elizabeth

Comment

Ha! I think I will be struggling afterward with sourdough and its mysteries, achieving the perfect crust, and figuring out how to get more in the oven than will fit!

Good Point Elizabeth! I've started reading a bread making book and it feels like I need a PHD in chemistry to bake...If you ever figure out sourdough mysteries, please let me know.
            "Pizza, the world's most perfect food."

Comment

I am so frustrated I could scream! It keeps raining and raining. My oven looks like a bird bath (or a mosquito nursery). It sits forlornly under its blue tarp, waiting for a window of opportunity to work on it. I feel like I'm going to mildew.

Hard to complain when we were way too dry last year, and technically still are, but geez. I can't ride, either- my horse objects to going out in mud up to his knees...

so what do frustrated oven builders do when they can't build????
              Elizabeth

Comment

Hey Elizabeth--

I'm gearing up to do my hearth pour, and I really like what you did with the metal decking. I've tried looking in my local Home Depot and Lowes, but they don't carry such a product. What kind of place did you get yours?

Sorry to hear about all the rain. I'll be gearing up to work on my dome just about when monsoon season hits, so I expect I'll know your pain soon.
                Nikki

Comment

I got mine at a building supply place in the big city nearby- you're looking for the steel which goes under concrete decks, essentially. You'll need to contact someone who does a lot of concrete forming to find a source, maybe. Your local concrete supply may know, and your local building supply stores (the real ones, who serve building contractors, not diy-ers) can also help.

Premium Steel

This is the place I got mine- we found it through building homes which had elevated porches, garages, etc. (not a whole lot of flat land in the mountains!)

the sun has abruptly come out- maybe I'll be able to work a bit this afternoon!
                  Elizabeth

Comment

Looks good Eliazbeth.
                    Have you thought about buying an awning to put over your oven so that you can build during the rain.
                    I picked one up recently at H/D.
                    It was 49 bucks and sets up quickly.
                    It's all one unit but hinged. You just open it up like a big accordion and Velcro the "roof" on!.

Here is a link to one that resembles it.

EZ Up Canopy, Pop Up Canopies & Custom Event Tents | BuyShade.com

Hope this helps.

Dave
                    My thread:
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
                    My costs:
                    http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
                    My pics:
                    http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Thanks so much, Elizabeth. I found a local supplier--now I just need to figure out exactly what it is I need (they really don't want to be helpful on the phone). Do you happen to remember what gauge your steel was?
                      Nikki

Comment

I don't remember the gauge- the piece was 11 feet long by 3 feet wide- they cut it in half for me for free there. We had to trim it to fit later, but it was a whole lot easier to get two pieces at 5.5 feet into the van than it was to get 11 feet! It was heavier than what we'd used before, most likely overkill. If you tell them what the span is, and the thickness of the concrete, they should be able to figure out what you need.

We overlapped the two, using self tapping metal screws to hold them, and we did put a support under the hanging lip, just in case. You can see it all in earlier pictures.

When you cut it, be sure to wear goggles and ear protection. Unbelievably loud and lots of sparks.
                        Elizabeth

Comment

Dave,

I do have a tarp with poles, but it's like a fly, not an ez up. I'll have to look for one that has better stability. I was originally just looking for shade, since I burn VERY quickly, but if it's gonna rain like this, I'm going to need it for water too!

I hadn't seen one for $49, so I'll check it out. Thanks for the lead.
                          Elizabeth

Comment

Yeah, when I asked for advice, the man said in a patronizing voice, "Ask your contractor what you need. He'll know right away when you ask him." Grr. It didn't help my cause to explain that no, when I said that I was building a pizza oven, I meant that I was doing it. If I could find another supplier I would, but I suspect that's not the last time I'll get that kind of reaction.

I bought new earplugs today, and am eagerly anticipating the sparks. It's too bad that I'm the photographer in the family. I'd love a picture of that part of the process.

Time to dust off the algebra skills and do some google searches to figure out what their charts actually mean.
                            Nikki

Comment

Originally posted by Modthyrth View Post
                              Yeah, when I asked for advice, the man said in a patronizing voice, "Ask your contractor what you need. He'll know right away when you ask him." Grr. It didn't help my cause to explain that no, when I said that I was building a pizza oven, I meant that I was doing it. If I could find another supplier I would, but I suspect that's not the last time I'll get that kind of reaction.
                              Oh. That makes me mad. The guys around here haven't been too bad about MY doing it- but then, they all think I'm crazy for making an oven outside at all. I haven't had a single supplier ask me where my contractor or my husband is. The little man next door, well, he's another story.

My husband and I own a construction company, so I do have to deal with a certain amount of MC piggery, but I have always found that if you just behave as though it shouldn't occur to anyone to question what you say, they usually don't. And you have to develop a little thicker hide than normal for some things. Language, spitting, "plumber's crack", etc.

I hope you can get what you need without your head exploding!
                              Elizabeth

Comment

[QUOTE=egalecki;36952] for some things. Language, spitting, "plumber's crack", etc.
                                QUOTE]

I used to work for a general contractor during the summer. He had a no cracks policy for his subs. We did mostly remodel work and he would stress that we were in someone's home. He expected no foul language, starting and ending on time, and keeping the jobsite clean. When he spotted a "plumber's crack" he would calmly get a caulking gun and fill it No one ever had that problem twice.
                                Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Comment

Working...
                                X