PizzaJNKY pompeii build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PizzaJNKY pompeii build

Hey its there, but I can't make the photo larger. Does anyone know how to post the photo larger?
    "Pizza, the world's most perfect food."

Comment

Hey nice, well done! You're nearly there....
      "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

JNKY - what did you take the picture with - a cell phone?
        GJBingham
        -----------------------------------
        Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Originally posted by RTflorida View Post
          I know others have done differently for thermal expansion issues, but I attached my anchor plate with tapcons. I set the plate on my arch, which I had ground flat, marked the holes and drilled the bricks with a mansory bit. I put a bit of Heatstop under the plate and screwed it down, then sealed all around the topside with the Heatstop.....so far (a year), so good. This may not be the best way (those thermal expansion issues), but I have had zero problems.

RT
          I would second this approach. The mortar is only to keep all the heat and smoke in -- to make the seam airtight. The tapcon screws hold the anchor plate in place.

James
          Pizza Ovens
          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Uh oh!
            GJBingham

-

Comment

Bingham, I actually used a real camera for the photo, so I have no idea why the photo uploaded so small. I'll keep trying, eventually it should work better.

Comment

Okay, here is the latest update. I was having a hard time deciding on how to finish the oven, so the oven decided for me.

This morning I placed chicken wire around the dome to hold in some perlite/mortar insulation, and I was having a hard time with it. I ended up taking the chicken wire off, and tried coating the perlcrete on the dome without the chicken wire. I then started stacking used red brick around the dome, to act as a form. Once the brick was stacked, I kinda liked the look.

I ended up mortaring in 3 layers of the brick form, and have decided this is the route I will take.

Its almost like I am adding a second pompeii oven to coat the first pompeii.

I am planning on only going up to the point where the dome starts to curve inward. At that point I will probably just do a stucco type roof finish, maybe mortar in some thin cut brick just to make it look uniform, then waterproof it.

Hopefully this all makes sense, because if someone thinks the idea will not work, please let me know before I go too far. Thanks for any input.

Comment

I gotcha. Sounds workable to me. Once you get to the point that the dome starts angling in, the vermicrete will stay in place much better.
                  GJBingham

-

Comment

Does anyone know if I need to add a pipe to the perlite/mortar insulation around the dome to vent it? I saw a photo of an oven recently, that had stainless steel pipes inserted into the insulation, that came out at the back of the oven. Is it necessary?

Comment

Some may install a brick vent in a roofed enclosure, or put soffit vents in the eves, but I don't know of any igloo enclosure that's been vented.
                      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Nor do I. I think I would be counterproductive and allow heat loss from within. Button that oven up tight I'f you're doing an Igloo finish. Make sure the outer layer is waterproof and you're good to go.
                        GJBingham

-

Comment

Hopefully I got this straight-Igloo (no venting), roofed enclosure can have a vent. hmmm, now I guess I need to figure out what my oven is going to be. I think its gonna be an igloo, or something fairly close to one. It won't have a roof, I will just cover the whole thing in more brick, then apply a water sealant. I think I'm gonna error on the side of caution, and skip the vent.

Hay look at that-99 posts, one more and I get to cut bricks!

Comment

Here is an update, with a question, of course...

I've completed puting perlite/mortar around the dome for insulation.

Ontop of this insulation, I want to finish the oven by placing splits of used red bricks on the top of the dome, maintaining an igloo shape.

My question is what method should I use to stick the splits to the top of the perlite/mortar insulation?

My plan was just to use regular type S mortar to hold the splits in place.

Comment

I'm not up to speed on mortar types, but it sounds like you're on the right track. Googel type S and N mortars. There's several others. dmun and others know this stuff.
                              GJBingham

-

Comment

Pizzajnky

Are you just using perlite and portland 5 to 1 for the outer coating? I thought someone said you can also use mortar instead of the portland.

Thanks
                                Dick

Comment

Working...
                                X