Poway, San Diego Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poway, San Diego Build

Alright...after A LOT of prep I finally was able to start my 44" Pompeii build (yeah yeah, I know it's not a true "Pompeii", but #GoBigOrGohome.

I've trolled this site for awhile planning my build and (NOTE TO ANYONE THAT HASN'T STARTED BUILDING YET), I wish I had paid more attention to the base, I would have built more support into the interior - oh well, life goes on.

I've learned so much from my endless hours of searching and reading on this site, that I definitely wanted to try and pay if forward and return the countless ideas lessons I've learned here. Also, I retained the most information from Pictures (I'm visual), so I'll try and post as many pictures as possible.

I'm 2 days into the actual oven build and my cuts are already getting better (this is my first time using a tile saw).

Enjoy!

5 months ago...

First, had to select my spot - I didn't want to sacrifice any of my yard space so I decided to build a retaining wall, level out with dirt, compact / tamp, and frame up for my base. I used 5500 PSI concrete and went 6" on the slab for strength.

Comment

2 months ago...

Laid my block out - i spent 2 day arranging, then re-arranging until I got what I thought was my first lay out / shape. I used 3/8th's rebar and filled every cinder block with concrete.

Comment

1 Month ago...

Framed up the top and poured 6500 psi concrete, I used 3/8th's rebar laid out in 1X1" squares for strength.

Comment

1 week ago...

Ordered my insulation from FornoBravo (I later found it cheaper at a local place thanks to a member here, but I already had purchased and didn't want to return).
          Picked up my firebrick and homebrew supplies.
          Made my template, game planned my layout, made my arch and Jig.

Comment

This past Saturday - first cuts were made. i went with 3/4 length soldiers just bc I thought they looked good and provided good support on the bottom being closer together, and boxed in my floor with them.
            Home brew ratio was 1:1:3:1, and I mixed it so it was the consistency of peanut butter which for me made leveling each brick really easy.

Comment

Monday morning I completed the 3rd Row.

The second picture shows 2 brick halves that are square vs using 4 degree cuts on either side - 4 degrees is the perfect angle (my cuts, no so perfect).

The jig worked perfectly. I found that I had to cut the 90 degree in half to make it work properly.

Really rewarding to start seeing the walls turn in as I go up - cool stuff.

Comment

Hi Justsan,
                Nice oven and good process!
                Why you mortar the floor?I know that don't need to mortar it.

Comment

Originally posted by George_M View Post
                  Hi Justsan,
                  Nice oven and good process!
                  Why you mortar the floor?....

Hey George - Thanks!
                  I did not mortar the floor, but I did mortar the solders in around the parameter.

Comment

Tip,

Run some blue or duct tape and cover the gap between the soldier and floor bricks. This will keep errant mortar from falling in the gap and negating the expansion gap. There have been some reports that the mortar in the gap has caused some dome cracking later on.
                    Russell
                    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                      Tip,

Run some blue or duct tape and cover the gap between the soldier and floor bricks. This will keep errant mortar from falling in the gap and negating the expansion gap. There have been some reports that the mortar in the gap has caused some dome cracking later on.

Thanks for the tip, but I already had mortar in there - I guess time will tell : )

Comment

Just completed my 5th Row and it's starting to come to life.

This weekend I'm going to start on my arch.

Comment

That's looking good. Just make sure the arch extends far enough back into the dome to support the upper courses. It's a classic mistake that people don't account enough for the curvature of the dome, and find their arch doesn't extend far back enough as the dome starts curving away from the entry, and you end up with a teardrop shaped oven. You can use your IT to figure how how far back you need to go.

Are those the Taupe-colored HC Muddox firebricks?

Comment

Here is a pic (from Mr. Chipster's build) showing how to use an IT to do a tapered inner arch like you are doing. Highly recommend this route.
                            Russell
                            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by Larry P View Post
                              That's looking good. Just make sure the arch extends far enough back into the dome to support the upper courses. It's a classic mistake that people don't account enough for the curvature of the dome, and find their arch doesn't extend far back enough as the dome starts curving away from the entry, and you end up with a teardrop shaped oven. You can use your IT to figure how how far back you need to go.

Are those the Taupe-colored HC Muddox firebricks?
                              Nice – Thank you for the tip…I would have definitely screwed that up.

I attached a picture of the tag on the pallet – they are Muddox, but I guess they are called Tan.

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                              Here is a pic (from Mr. Chipster's build) showing how to use an IT to do a tapered inner arch like you are doing. Highly recommend this route.
                              Really appreciate the picture!
                              Seeing that makes sense, the IT needs to be on the inside edge just like I was building the rest of the rows.

Thanks fellas.

Comment

Working...
                              X