No announcement yet.

New Build - 42" with Santa Maria Grill in So. Cal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The diameter of the pipe is more important than the height. For a 42" oven you need an 8" diam pipe, 3' high is adequate.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thank you David........8" is what I ordered.......Thanks
      https://picasaweb.google.com/1029081...00165373509921

Comment

Question for he pros: As I am rained out now for what looks like a week I am starting to plan my work for once I close the dome. I plan an enclosure and see that almost all "houses" are built with steel studs. Can wood or Pre-Treated (PT) lumber work? Would it still be too hot even though there is a blanket and loose vermiculite? Never worked with steel framing before, not that I am afraid to after building an oven, but regular studs or PT would definitely be in my comfort zone.

Thanks in advance

Damon

Comment

Steele framing is not that hard to work with. Most likely it would not be a fire risk but why chance it. They do make fire resistant wood that has been treated but I believe that it is rather expensive. Is there another reason you do not want to go steel stud?

Randy

Comment

Not really Randy.......just never have used it before and they don't sell heavy enough gauge at HD or Lowe's. I understand the "why chance it" mantra and figured that would be the reason I would ultimately go back to the steel idea. I guess that after this huge learning curve of turning rectangles into a half sphere I was looking forward to doing something that I am a tad more familiar with.

Comment

You can get the heavier gauge stuff at your local pro-builder lumber yard. It's worth it for safety, and not that hard to work with. I bought a metal cut-off blade that I installed in my existing miter saw (yeah, not great for it) which did the trick for cutting. Then you just need a decent pair of metal shears to make the tabs for corners and angles. Biggest tip is to get self-tapping metal screws for putting it together. It will all feel pretty flimsy until you get the siding on.
              My build progress
              My WFO Journal on Facebook
              My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

I'm more comfortable with working with wood myself. As long as you respect the insulation and two inch standoff requirements, you will be ok. For most enclosures that I've seen, the only place that you need to really be conserned with is the area in the very front nearest the entry. Had I of done a full enclosure, I would have used metal there. Actually, I did use that method on my outdoor fireplace which is buit into an existing wood structure. So,I think you would be very safe using a hybrid type of construction.
                Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I agree on if you go steel then go to a pro building supply or drywall supplier. I built mine with 18 gage. Very stout and I was not at all worried about walking on the roof of mine and I weigh about 250#. I agree that the front needs to be steel and if you are very uncomfortable with it you can get away with wood for the rest.

Randy

Comment

Thanks guys.....so 18ga is the standard?

Comment

I don't know if it is the standard, but 18 gage is very stout. 25 gage is like tinfoil, 20 gage is a little stiffer than a beer can. Then 18 gage is roughly the same as a 2x4. You don't need to go with more than 18 they do make 16 and I think 14 gage, but they get very expensive. So if you have worries with storms or snow load then you need 18 gage. If not you might be able to go 20 gage. Although if you are going with a heavy cladding like stone on the enclosure then you still might want to go with 18 gage.

Randy

Comment

Perfect Randy..........Thank you sir! Time to start sourcing

D

Comment

Finally stopped raining in So Cal enough to finish my 2nd to last course. I got the first brick of the 13th and final course in also and man was gravity a nightmare. The IT was not enough to hold it in. Had to wedge a ratcheting vice grip clamp to press it in and hold it in place. Hopefully the next few bricks will grab easier because they will have mortar on one side and the bottom. I guess i could also mount a small piece of plywood on the end of my IT. I remember seeing that done on a build or two. More joints have lined up than I would have liked, but it got super hard for me to pay attention to that in the upper courses. With a lil luck I might have this this thing plugged this weekend. But there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Onward and upward

D

Comment

Almost there!! I feel your pain with the rain. I have been trying to pour my hearth slab for the last three weeks and the rain just won't let up. Hopefully this weekend will be dry and I can get it poured.
                            Dan

Build Log
                            Build Photo Album

Comment

Congratulations. Looks like you are almost there. It seams like people have all kinds of different experiences when closing the dome. I was lucky and set the first and second brick very fast with help from my IT tool and they held in place. So I quickly finished the ring and started cutting the plug. Good luck I am sure it will go well.

Randy

Comment

Thank you Randy. I was able to attach a piece of 2x6 to the end of my IT and it was so easy to set the final course. Tricky angles but it is done!! Plug tomorrow! Pretty thrilled with the progress. Even with a few weather setbacks I am ahead of schedule

Comment

Working...
                                X