web analytics
A few questions from Austin TX - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A few questions from Austin TX

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dome is closed and I am moving on to the entry & chimney.

Hit a bit of a snag, could use some advice on. The oven arch sits on top of the floor bricks and I did not cut the entry floor bricks to shape when I started the oven which was a mistake. I thought I would remove the entry floor bricks so the arch could sit on the vermicrete, but some cant be removed as the weight of the dome is sitting on them. So looks like the entry arch and chimney will also be sitting on the floor bricks.

I was thinking of leaving a heat break (you can see in one picture) and also originally thought to only do a front arch and tie the smoke collection area/chimney to the oven arch. I now realize, the only thing holding the two sides together would be the front arch and where I eventually get to the opening for the 8” chimney. Is this ok?

Option B is to have a back arch and a front arch – would effectively make it an independent “box” for the entry/chimney.

The Argentine grill also arrived – I am starting to get my dimensions right for how to build the firebox to hold it. Anyone unfamiliar with the Argentina style, the crates are V shaped and on an angle to collect the fat and avoid flareups. The wheel can raise or lower. I’ll have a Brasero on one side to hold the wood fire and then you can rake the coals under the cooking area.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts

Comment

Progress has been slow, but I'll take any progress.

Started on the common brick for the outside. A lot more difficult than i expected at first, but getting a little faster as i learn.

Also started the metal framing for the enclosure. It is currently 48" in front and 42" in back. 48" in front should give enough headroom clearance. I plan to have the rook extend over the front a bit. Planned on ordering a 3' chimney. Will only be about 16" above the roofline, hopefully that is not an issue since zero flammable material in construction. Sides of enclosure will be recycled tin/metal siding. Roof maybe new metal or the same as siding.

Any tips at this point? I could still change the height of the chimney or the slope of the roof.

With any luck I can cover with the insulating blanket this weekend and get my first curing fire while i work on the outside.

Comment

Just make sure the corner of your roof is high enough not to clock you in the head!
        My build progress
        My WFO Journal on Facebook
        My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Working...
        X