• Show
Clear All

• Gulf
    replied
    Nice touch!

Leave a comment:

• Chach
    replied
    The little things in life...finally installed my grill light. what a difference...if you have a grill next to your enclosure i recommend this for sure.

Ricky

Leave a comment:

• Chach
    replied
    Today I installed the trusses and installed the joists and roof sheathing. I am very happy with the shape and the way it looks. I didnt want to go with the traditional "dog house shape" so this is what I came up with.

Leave a comment:

• Chach
    replied
    I was a busy bee yesterday I fabricated 3 barrell roof trusses. First I started off with my shape and size of what I wanted. I used a 1/4" x 3" lattice strip 8' long and 2'x8' piece of OSB so I could screw some pieces of 2x4 down and create my profile. Once my shape was set I used a router with a flush cutting bit and routered around the lattice so I had my first shape. I then made the truss pieces and glued and screwed them to the OSB. When I finished the truss i used the router to cut out the joist notches. After I made the first one I used that as a template and screwed that to another board and used the router again around it so I can have an exact replica of the shape and joist notches and did this 6 times so I could make 3 trusses. I also thought of the flue pipe so I kept the joists put of the way to allow the pipe to go straight up.
    Last edited by Chach; 09-14-2019, 07:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Chach
    replied
    I noticed when other builders are building their enclosure they are puttong cement board up to their flue made out of brick and then they stick the stone or whatever they're using to the cement board and to the actual brick itself
    Being that the stone stuck to the brick of the flu will be expanding a little wouldn't that cause cracking because that area is expanding? Would it be better to put the cement board across the whole area and not attach anything to The Brick? I am running into an issue where I have a refractory castable as my flu galley and I insulated the sides of it but I will not be able to insulate the front of it because of the clearances of my cement board to the actual flu. Does anybody think this would be an issue? I only have like a quarter inch or 1/8 of an inch in some spots that I would be able to insulate does that matter? I attached a sketch of what I've seen done studs to the flu galley and then cemenr board up to it but I was thinking of doing something similar but cement board over the whole entire front and not touch the flu galley this way if my metal expands expands as a whole or if the flu expands it doesn't move any of my brick veneer. Wish i would have pushed my oven back 4".

Leave a comment:

• Chach
    replied
    So after 2 months of non stop working at work I finally was able to set my limestone sills and start my enclosure.

Leave a comment:

• Chach
    replied
    Originally posted by RandyJ View Post
    Thanks the remodel is moving along now. I put in a new sub panel and got all the home runs pulled to the new addition this weekend now to finish the rough in and get a permit. On the not so good side when they did the roof they found one whole side was dry rottedand had to replace the sheeting, and one of the workers stepped through my kids room ceiling. They are going to fix it though so i guess it will be ok.
    always tons of unforseen when doing this stuff...take a wall out and you never know what you will find

Leave a comment:

• RandyJ
    replied
    Thanks the remodel is moving along now. I put in a new sub panel and got all the home runs pulled to the new addition this weekend now to finish the rough in and get a permit. On the not so good side when they did the roof they found one whole side was dry rottedand had to replace the sheeting, and one of the workers stepped through my kids room ceiling. They are going to fix it though so i guess it will be ok.

Leave a comment:

• Chach
    replied
    I never noticed any water issues on that oven. I raised my insulation up with paver stones so as to hopefully avoid issues with that. The roof will do the majority of the work keeping things dry.
    Thanks Randy for the info! Hope the remodel is going good.

Leave a comment:

• RandyJ
    replied
    I never noticed any water issues on that oven. I raised my insulation up with paver stones so as to hopefully avoid issues with that. The roof will do the majority of the work keeping things dry.

Leave a comment:

• Chach
    replied
    All i did was screw up the cement board. Then just mixed up thinset and stuck on the stone veneer.
    no issues with water seeping through? Thats what I was going to do...mix up some mortar and stick it nut was worried about the water getting behind but im elevated off the slab with foamglas so I should be good if it did get back there...Im also goimg to jave venting in the eaves as well.
    Last edited by Chach; 07-21-2019, 10:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• RandyJ
    replied
    All i did was screw up the cement board. Then just mixed up thinset and stuck on the stone veneer.

Leave a comment:

• Chach
    replied
    Those of you you built an enclosure around your oven, did you waterproof the walls or did you just put the cement board on the studs. I was reading that for this application you sandwich 15lb felt paper between cement board. I would like to know what everyone did with theirs and what they would change if they did it again.

Leave a comment:

• Chach
    replied
    I am surprised you didn't think of lights. I spent an inordinate amount of time trying to figure out how to get can lights and not need a permit. I ended up Frankensteining some up with landscaping lights and can lights. They worked well. I might go 120 this time though.
    Oddly enough I had it in my mind but I was focused on the outdoor kitchen power adding switches for future LED tap lighting and accent lighting for the fireplace. No worries for me now "I've got the power" LOL. Frankensteining lol we can make anything work can't we.
    Last edited by Chach; 07-03-2019, 02:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• RandyJ
    replied
    I am surprised you didn't think of lights. I spent an inordinate amount of time trying to figure out how to get can lights and not need a permit. I ended up Frankensteining some up with landscaping lights and can lights. They worked well. I might go 120 this time though.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X