Sealing the pizza dome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sealing the pizza dome

I built a 48" pizza oven, the dome has 3" of ceramic insulation held down with chicken wire then covered with a cement mixture (cement and perlite); then I added a layer of bonding cement (I added concrete bonding adhesive when mixing the cement).The liquid ratio was mostly bonding adhesive with some water. My current issue is the dome has numerous long cracks. I want to repair and seal the dome.

What are next steps? I would also like to add a bit of color to the dome sealant (slate gray color or similar). The pizza cooks great, in total there is 6" of insulation on the dome.

I would like to seal the dome and make it waterproof. I have watched a video where there are, I believe, three different applications to put on the dome to seal it properly. I live in North jersey and the oven is covered with just a plastic tarp when not in use. The photos show the left side of the oven (facing it). For fun I sent a picture of the completed oven, I just added brick veneer to the front.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5908.jpg
Views:	2029
Size:	418.5 KB
ID:	409517Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6230.jpg
Views:	1953
Size:	375.0 KB
ID:	409515
    Attached Files

No one has replied, so I'll offer up what I did. There are some photos on my build thread.

I used Thoroseal. It's a powder, comes in bags, it's cement based.

My 42" dome is covered by 4" of CF blanket, covered by metal stucco diamond lathe, covered by two 3/8" thick coats of a portland-sand stucco render.

Once that stucco was cured, I covered the dome with two coats of Thoroseal. The only powder available locally was white. My first coat went on white, the second coat I added a little carbon black to gray it out.

It's been a rainy year here in CT, and the interior of my dome has stayed nice and dry. Firing temps have been good, the dome clears evenly and quite well. The outside of the shell does not warm up at all, indicating that there is no moisture inside the shell that is being driven outward by the heat of the fire, through the insulation, and through the stucco and Thoroseal shell.

Thoroseal is vapor permeable, which is a huge positive. Being vapor permeable, it repels liquid moisture on the outside, but if moisture did get in the interior of your shell some how, Thoroseal will allow moisture vapor to exit through it during a drying fire. Just in case.

If the cracks in your dome are stable and don't move during a thermal cycle, I'd fill them with a portland mix. Let it cure. Then multiple coats of Thoroseal. Read and heed the surface prep, mixing, and application instuctions.
    Mongo

My Build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-s-42-ct-build

Comment

Has anyone tried SEAL-KRETE ORIGINAL Waterproofing Primer/Sealer over a stucco render? It is clear so it wouldn't change the color of the stucco since I am going to use an oxide-based pigment (Bon Ironoxx) to color the stucco.
      SEAL-KRETE® ORIGINAL Waterproofing Primer/Sealer is sealing that protects vertical concrete and masonry against the damaging effects of moisture penetration.
      My 32" homebrew cast oven by the sea

Comment

Working...
      X