37” Pompeii in SW ontario

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 37” Pompeii in SW ontario

Well, I’ve decided to take the plunge and build a Pizza oven. This site has been invaluable and giving me ideas and direction. I’ve settled on a 37” Pompeii design with a full arched opening and a walled enclosure. I actually started the project last year so I’m a little behind in my posts. I went with foam glass Option to help keep thing dry

Click image for larger version

Name:	AE7D54E6-98D3-469F-ADDA-8969228DC322.jpeg
Views:	780
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	410538Click image for larger version

Name:	E312EFF4-BE7A-4204-AE7C-61BAAE279F5A.jpeg
Views:	602
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	410540Click image for larger version

Name:	BD0B3F56-6019-451F-AAD8-3612B81E5837.jpeg
Views:	624
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	410539

What type and brand of insulating board did you use...looks good!
    My Build Pictures
    https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...18BD00F374765D

Comment

Very nice start. Good choice with the foam glass. I already had my floor laid with 2" of insulating board. I'm always concerned with it getting wet.

Are you currently able to work on your dome, considering the season?

Comment

I used thermo-12 gold. Came in boards 2”x12”x36”. The dome is actually already done. I just need to organize my photos and get them up.
        I’m in the middle of a deep freeze right now with more snow in forecast but I want to be ready for spring
        Last edited by jamel; 01-15-2019, 08:08 PM.

Comment

I priced the thermal 12 gold. I think that may be what I purchase. It is pretty reasonably priced at $5.49 a square foot not bad since everything else I saw was ridiculously priced. How many boards did you buy for your oven?
          My Build Pictures

Comment

I ended up using 5 thermo 12 boards for my insulation. Then laid out my cooking floor. I installed a thermal break between oven and vent chamber using a left over piece of 1/4 insulation paper. I’ve got a 1/4 SS tube that will rest on top if the insulation paper and be about 1/8” below the cooking floor.
            Last edited by jamel; 01-16-2019, 01:26 PM.

Comment

After building an IT I began the first courses. It truly is an indispensable tool. I built an compound adjustable angle device to make precise cuts but it flopped and was inconsistent. Ended picking up a 10” compound saw at a metal recycling plant for $60 which is proving to be able to give me decent results

Comment

Closed the arch which took some fiddling back and forth. I’m learning to be more patient but at the cost of a few hairs

Comment

That's some very nice work. Looks quite neat!
                  My build progress
                  My WFO Journal on Facebook
                  My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Very Nice!
                    My Build Pictures

Comment

A lot of custom cuts to compensate for the droop from the arch. Couldn’t correct all of it but for the most part I was able to get my upper chains level
                      Last edited by jamel; 01-16-2019, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Almost there!

Comment

I didn’t leave enough room for mortar on my plug and had to hit it pretty hard to get it in. The fit on the plug was so tight in fact it chipped out two small sections on the adjacent chain. I was able mortar them back on but you can still see the damage. Bummer!!
                          This was as far as I was able to get before it was too cold and damp in the fall of 2018. All wrapped up in tarps and waiting for spring
                          Last edited by jamel; 01-16-2019, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Very Nice and symmetrical! You should be proud!
                            My Build Pictures

Comment

Same thing happened to me. Plug fit fine dry but with mortar it was a little tight. Used what I thought was a light tap and was so sad to see the chips/flakes that broke loose. I just patched them with mortar and moved on. One of them has fallen out but oven still cooks great and nobody complained of having the chunk of mortar in their food, so it must have fallen during a firing.
                              My build thread
                              https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Working...
                              X