No announcement yet.

My not so well-planned pompeii build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The arrow in the pic above is pointing to the inner arch that is integral with the dome. The outer arches are part of the vent/landing and are typically larger in height/radius (1-1.5 inch) so that the exposed part of the inner arch acts as a reveal for the door to seal up against.
    I didn't see where/when you figured how big of an oven you were going to build - you are going for a 41"? Just curious how you came up with that number. I picked 39 as if I went an larger I would have needed to buy 2 more insulating boards, and I didn't want to go down to a 36".
    For a 41 inch oven, I would make the inner arch height probably larger than 12", as that works out to be around 58.5% of the dome height where I believe the ideal is around 63%. 12.75" would put you at close to 62%. Building the vent arches is one of the less well documented parts of a build on the forum but lots of the recent builds have done a better job of describing how to do it. My build has some good pics if you have not taken a look yet.
    My build thread
    https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Originally posted by JRPizza View Post
      The arrow in the pic above is pointing to the inner arch that is integral with the dome. The outer arches are part of the vent/landing and are typically larger in height/radius (1-1.5 inch) so that the exposed part of the inner arch acts as a reveal for the door to seal up against.
      I didn't see where/when you figured how big of an oven you were going to build - you are going for a 41"? Just curious how you came up with that number. I picked 39 as if I went an larger I would have needed to buy 2 more insulating boards, and I didn't want to go down to a 36".
      For a 41 inch oven, I would make the inner arch height probably larger than 12", as that works out to be around 58.5% of the dome height where I believe the ideal is around 63%. 12.75" would put you at close to 62%. Building the vent arches is one of the less well documented parts of a build on the forum but lots of the recent builds have done a better job of describing how to do it. My build has some good pics if you have not taken a look yet.
      Thanks for the reply, Can't recall if I seen your build (seen so many) but will check it out. I came up with 41" because I was trying to get as big as I can get for my oven landing size. (65"x75") and the fact that I'm now leaning towards a full enclosure. Really at this point I'm open to any size.

Comment

For a 41" oven, How many fire bricks (9"x4.5"x2.5") do I need? Do I go with 10% more for rookie mistakes?

Comment

I always plan for 5 to 10% waste on projects like this. It happens quickly that a brick is not good for what you were planning and then you start over o n that one.

Comment

Originally posted by RandyJ View Post
            I always plan for 5 to 10% waste on projects like this. It happens quickly that a brick is not good for what you were planning and then you start over o n that one.
            good to know, I'm sure I'll be closer to the 10%. lol
            Would you say 300 full bricks in total?

Comment

It all depends on a few factors as to how you build but i would think that should be close.

Comment

Whats consensus, to start soldier bricks on top of oven firebricks or on outside?

Comment

dome on top of floor: Pros: perimeter can be rough as guts= reduced labour
                  Cons: can't replace floor bricks under the dome without total demolition
                  floor inside dome: Pros: allows freer movement of floor bricks, replacement easy
                  Cons: bricks need precise cutting

Provided the floor bricks are laid loose the slight gaps between them are sufficient to allow for expansion. As spalling or cracking of flor bricks will only occur on the bricks in the centre the floor bricks under the dome should never need replacement. Therefore I lean toward the dome on top. What do others think?

While we're on soldiers, I dislike the idea of a long vertical joint on the weakest point of the hemisphere. If you were to lay two courses on the base you wouldn't align two vertical joints. As cracks usually begin at the bottom of the dome a long vertical joint seems to be asking for trouble. If the primary advantage of having a soldier course is to get a bit more height at the perimeter the same could be achieved by laying two courses vertically, but stagger the joins.
                  Last edited by david s; 06-06-2019, 05:08 PM.
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                    I see you are from NB so weather exposure will be a major factor. One of the most common problems with ovens is water ingress into the oven insulation so putting your oven in an enclosure will help substantially reduce this issue.
                    Yes, I see that now... Maybe if I could make a sealed exterior and have a cover for day not in use or bad weather? (Sort of like a bbq cover) I really would like to see the oven in its entirety.
                    Anyone have success without the enclosure.
                    I can tell you this, if my jobs turns out ugly, enclosure will be a must. lol

Comment

There are a number of exposed ovens, mine is one but I spent more on the copper than an enclosure would of cost. But that said, correctly raising the floor insulation off the hearth, weep holes in the hearth, sloping the hearth from the middle out and using polymer additives to the stucco, etc will help keep the water out. If you like the dome look then go with it but take measures to protect from water ingress.
                      Russell
                      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I really would like to see the oven in its entirety.
                        Anyone have success without the enclosure.
                        You can have the best of both worlds. Check out Northup 's build. Here is a link to his latest update with some more pics. An open span covering can be a simple drop shed or it can get kind of fancy. In any case, a projection over the "business end" of the oven can greatly extend the number of days per year that the oven can be operated .

Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Roof over the oven will work, IE, see Gulfs build, as long as you take precautions to make sure water on hearth does not igress in and get the floor insulation wet. There are several ways to do this, IE raise CaSi board, install water proof insulation under CaSi, IE foam glass, install tile under insulation with channels to weep holes, etc.
                          Yes that's an option. Been looking at Gulfs build. sweet! Love your Copper covering, well done! So many sweet builds...

Comment

There are a number of exposed ovens, mine is one but I spent more on the copper than an enclosure would of cost. But that said, correctly raising the floor insulation off the hearth, weep holes in the hearth, sloping the hearth from the middle out and using polymer additives to the stucco, etc will help keep the water out. If you like the dome look then go with it but take measures to protect from water ingress.
                            Yes, going to look at all options available before making my move. Thanks for the great info.

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                              You can have the best of both worlds. Check out Northup 's build. Here is a link to his latest update with some more pics. An open span covering can be a simple drop shed or it can get kind of fancy. In any case, a projection over the "business end" of the oven can greatly extend the number of days per year that the oven can be operated .

Thats a nice cover over the dome. More towards what i'm thinking about in my build.

Comment

Mine has been really dry so far, even with all the driving wind, rain/snow we had it was really dry, Ill try to get some photos during or after to show. But also note that I did add, some additives to my stucco mix which were suppose to help make it more "resistant" to water, but concrete is never truly waterproof. I used lumber got from a local sawmill to keep the cost way down. just looked it up and here were my cost/material list
                                -Pine-
                                6 - 6x6 8ft 144$
                                8 - 2x6 8ft 51.20$
                                2 - 4x4 8ft 20.26$
                                12 - 1x8 8ft 54.26$
                                $ 269.72 total
                                granted the red cedar shingles i did the roof in may have cost about the same as the structure but I wanted that look.

Some other numbers that may be helpful on your older questions.
                                I used bought 210 bricks and had about 8 left over (mine is 36")
                                I built on top of my floor and I did solder the first corse
                                I have a bluestone edge or counter around my oven that is pitched outward. Any rain or water that does manage to get there will roll off and not into my base
                                Figure out what you are using to cut your bricks with, and make a jig. Then practice a few cuts to learn which way the jig moves to adjust. I cut a whole row the wrong way after confusing my bevels and angles degrees from the spread sheet

Comment

Working...
                                X