Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My not so well-planned pompeii build

Here's how it started....
    Last fall I made a slab for something else in mind (60”x 60”). Now this year, after looking at this forum all winter and online pics, I would like to try my hand at a pizza oven.
    The slab was built solid. I took the top soil out to about 2.5 feet deep and added very tampered ¾” crush stone. The slab is 6” thick and I added a combination of rebar and concrete wire mesh.
    I now realized the slab wasn’t all that big for pizza oven but I figured I’d make it work. So, I added cinder blocks (16”x8”x8”) 4 rows high which gives me a 54” square “stand”.
    I mortared the joints and filled the holes with concrete, knowing I have to make my top slab larger.
    In the last few days, I created a form to accommodate and 65”x75” slab at 4” thick.
    So now hopefully my options are looking better. Lol There you have it, my not well-planned beginning.

The following pics are the blocks build...3/8" x 2" angle iron was used for the open space.
    Last edited by Saltycave; 05-30-2019, 06:55 AM.

Here's a couple more pics of block work.

Comment

Moving on to forms for top slab... I created the forms to accommodate and 65”x75” slab at 4” thick.
      I added 12 x 5/8" rebar and a bunch or 3/8" rebar I have extra.
      The rebar I had in the blocks I bent down and use it as a support for all the other rebar in the project. It kept all the rebar about 1.5" off the bottom and well secured.

Last edited by Saltycave; 05-30-2019, 06:39 AM.

Comment

More bracing added....

Comment

Yesterday I mixed 24 bags of concrete in a wheelbarrow :O and made the pour. Took 1.5 hours to do. I worked as fast as these old bones could work. lol
          At this point if I did it wrong I'm basically screwed.

Comment

Here I am today waiting for the slab to dry enough to remove the forms. Fingers crossed. Oh and BTW, I still haven't planned the oven size or material....Its all just a wack of ideas bouncing around in my head right now.
            Maybe I can go with a 40"+ oven. I'm still not sure about building an enclosure...I would like to have a finished oven that could handle our cold climate. If there's a way...
            Thank you Randy
            Last edited by Saltycave; 05-30-2019, 06:59 AM.

Comment

Umm, you really need to finalize oven size and design before you go much farther. Since you hearth is poured it will be the deciding factor on your final oven size and design.
              Russell
              Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                Umm, you really need to finalize oven size and design before you go much farther. Since you hearth is poured it will be the deciding factor on your final oven size and design.
                Agree, I think what's holding me back from the final plan is if I do an enclosure or not.

Comment

I see you are from NB so weather exposure will be a major factor. One of the most common problems with ovens is water ingress into the oven insulation so putting your oven in an enclosure will help substantially reduce this issue.
                  Russell

Comment

I see you are from NB so weather exposure will be a major factor. One of the most common problems with ovens is water ingress into the oven insulation so putting your oven in an enclosure will help substantially reduce this issue.
                    Yes, Randy gave me the lowdown on just that problem. But, Is there a way without....or maybe just a roof over... would that prevent enough of the weather from creeping in ???

Comment

Roof over the oven will work, IE, see Gulfs build, as long as you take precautions to make sure water on hearth does not igress in and get the floor insulation wet. There are several ways to do this, IE raise CaSi board, install water proof insulation under CaSi, IE foam glass, install tile under insulation with channels to weep holes, etc.
                      Russell

Comment

Here in Seattle you need more than a roof - in the winter the rain frequently comes in sideways
                        Our weather is at least predictable so the vast majority of the rain comes from the South/South West. Our cooking/eating space has two see through walls on the south and west that block the wind and rain.
                        My build thread
                        https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Roof over the oven will work, IE, see Gulfs build, as long as you take precautions to make sure water on hearth does not igress in and get the floor insulation wet. There are several ways to do this, IE raise CaSi board, install water proof insulation under CaSi, IE foam glass, install tile under insulation with channels to weep holes, etc.
                          Yes, I need to read up more on that.

Comment

Forms are off. Realized, I forgot to tap all around to get the air out. I'm left with a few open ares. Need to fill those.

Comment

In Gulf Pic of his build, How big should the entry be on my 41" oven be? I see the opening at the dome is smaller in Gulf pic....
                              So should my opening be 19"w x 12"high at the dome area or is those measurements for the entry?
                              Trying to figure this out so I can build a template (form)

Comment

Working...
                              X