No announcement yet.

My not so well-planned pompeii build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gulf and I used auto breather vents that are cheap, less that $10 at any auto parts store. they have a 1/2" male npt that you screw into a 1/2" pvc bushing that we set in the stucco.. Gulf added wire mess to his bushing to reinforce. These are placed at the apex of the dome.

Click image for larger version

Name:	breather vent.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	423345
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
      Gulf and I used auto breather vents that are cheap, less that $10 at any auto parts store. they have a 1/2" male npt that you screw into a 1/2" pvc bushing that we set in the stucco.. Gulf added wire mess to his bushing to reinforce. These are placed at the apex of the dome.

Click image for larger version  Name:	breather vent.jpg Views:	0 Size:	25.9 KB ID:	423345
      Oh nice. Just checked that out on your build, awesome. Does the pvc but against the ceramic blanket?
      Last edited by Saltycave; 06-07-2020, 12:44 PM.

Comment

No but it could, I had a couple inches of vcrete over ceramic blanket and an inch of stucco. I just let a channel from the ceramic blanket to the breather vent so any water that converts to steam can egress out.
        Russell

Comment

Also, does the opening to the oven of 20"x12 5/8" sounds right? and the exterior one at 22" x 13 5/8"
          Is that about what you have on your oven?

Comment

I can't recall what size oven you ended up with. The important part is the arch height of the inside arch, should be aroung 63-65% of the dome height. The width is more of a builder choice and how the bricks lay out. Min. 1" reveals suggested. I have about 2 1/2" +-
            Russell

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
              I can't recall what size oven you ended up with. The important part is the arch height of the inside arch, should be aroung 63-65% of the dome height. The width is more of a builder choice and how the bricks lay out. Min. 1" reveals suggested. I have about 2 1/2" +-
              Got it. Thanks

Comment

As well as a vent at the apex of the dome (1) you could try this system (2) where the vent is incorporated around the flue pipe. There is a small space between the two caps 9 and 10 where moisture can pass. This has the added advantage of not having the render right up against the flue pipe with the resulting sealing and cracking problems there. It could also be possible to drill some holes in the flue pipe at its base so the vermicrete that surrounds it will allow the moisture to pass into the pipe (3)

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_89877.jpg Views:	3 Size:	631.7 KB ID:	423452 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1076.jpg Views:	0 Size:	958.5 KB ID:	423453 .
                Last edited by david s; 06-08-2020, 01:16 PM.
                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

do you make/have made components 9 and 10 david s or buy them? what material?

Comment

great info, thanks for posting

Comment

Originally posted by Nick J C View Post
                      do you make/have made components 9 and 10 david s or buy them? what material?
                      Yes, I press mould them and fire them in my kiln

https://community.fornobravo.com/for...735#post394735

The same system could be fabricated in another material if you don't have access to clay, the skills and a kiln.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1079.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.23 MB ID:	423568 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1080.jpg Views:	0 Size:	980.3 KB ID:	423569
                      Last edited by david s; 06-09-2020, 03:41 PM.
                      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
                      X