No announcement yet.

42” Pompeii in San Felipe, MX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MarkJerling Thanks... that is exactly what I did for this party. 21 pizzas for 38 peeps.... loved how moving the coals and putting a new log on changed it all. I used sooooo much less fuel, but I will say that I lost a bunch of heat the next day... kinda had one too many and forgot to put the door on... still, had enough energy to make 2 breakfast pizzas.

In the end I think I will need to shave a little bit more off the inner arch... that door is still a bit too tight. Happy with the way it all worked out.
    My Oven Build
    https://community.fornobravo.com/for...mx?view=thread

Comment

• Mikie! LOVE the build and congrats on the success!

I'm very curious about your vent transition to chimney in post 227
      UtahBeehiver , I believe, did something similar ...

Did you grind out the 12" square plate size, put mortar down, put plate down on mortar, then more mortar and the bricks on top to close off the assembly?
      I know others put high temp sealant down for expansion and other methods.

Wondering what you actually did (and perhaps Utah?) with the plate in this sandwiched design?
      AND - has it held up (ie/ stable, no cracks from heat expansion, etc?)

Thanks for any insight you can provide!
      Barry
      You are welcome to visit my build HERE

Comment

• Baza thanks for the kinda words. Sorry I’m late getting back to you on this. I wasn’t sure if your question regarding the sandwich of the adapter plate was directed at me or not... if it was I just ground the bricks that the plate lays in just deep enough so that it didn’t protrude about the brick. Then I capped it with the next course. I left enough room between the flue pipe and the top of the sandwich that I was able put ceramic rope in there.

It was worked out perfectly. That 48” tall pipe is firm and has held up to the high winds here with no issues... and, it doesn’t leak.
        My Oven Build

Comment

• modified9v - thank you!! Yes - it was directed to you! Ha! Sorry if I wasn’t clear!! This is terrific feedback. My only remaining question is - the brick sandwich ... did you set the plate in mortar? Both sides of the plate inside the brick.

thanks if you can clarify!!
          barry

Comment

• Baza basically there really isn’t enough room for mortar. That said, I did butter the brick that topped the sandwich, not the bottom face of the plate... the mortar squished out into the gap between those top bricks and the part of the plate that the flue pipe locks onto... I carefully cleaned that excess out so the pipe would fit nicely and the rope would go in clean and tight. I really, really liked the way it turned out and I would do it the same way again.
            My Oven Build

Comment

• Perfect.
              I was just out sizing the assembly with the chimney installed and noticed everything you just said: there isn’t enough room to mortar UNDER the plate / but makes sense to do on top for that part of the sandwich! Room for rope/tape and chimney.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for getting back so quickly!!
              barry

Comment

• Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                PM me an email address. I have a pdf (which I cannot attach to this forum) to help explain the some of the aspects of a tapered arch. It is a difficult concept to visualize but not too hard to physically do. It is well worth the effort.
                Would you mind PM me the PDF too?

Comment

• Tri-trips? You a triathlete?? Tell us more!! Healthy eating and cooking go together REALLY WELL!!

Your heat retention is RIDICULOUS!!! WOW - well done and congrats!!
                  Interested in your approach - I'm in the process of designing and getting a door manufactured - (or built by me - cheap Scot!) - do you use a door? if so - what did you do in its manufacture? What does it look like? How do you use it?

I'm keen to learn more about heat retention (particularly when it involves a DOOR) and what that does to heat retention and cooking processes!

Thanks mate
                  Barry

Comment

Working...
                  X