No announcement yet.

36" Pompeii in Chicago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First pizzas!!! We have had a few things to deal with at home, so we have had to delay the first pizzas a bit but completely worth the wait. It was so gratifying for me and I am truly grateful to this forum and the people willing to share their work and experiences. The oven performed beautifully! I started the fire about 2 hours before the first pizza went in. Looking back, I will probably move that up to about 1.5 hours before first pizza. Roasting some garlic in fire picture. Pizzas were: cheese, fresh mozzarella, and pepperoni, Calabrian chilies and honey.
    As far as the build, I had to modify my plans a bit and move the roof line back. With the countertop right next to the roof, I would have been hitting my head on the overhang. Therefore, I will fully brick the chimney. I moved the roof line back, got the Hardie Backer board up for the walls, and filled with some perlite. Finally, started some brick work. It is moving slowly, but finding I really enjoy laying brick. Adding brick/wall ties and weep holes throughout. Realizing I need to start my concrete countertops sooner than later to get this thing closed up.

Comment

I notice originally you had buttressed the vent arch and by moving the roof line back the buttresses are gone and now you want to do a full brick chimney, That is quite a bit a weight on the arch without buttressing.

PS Congrats on first pizzas. Seems like when the pizzas come out the finish work slows down lol
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks Russell. Yes, will be adding the buttress back in with nicer brick going up the sides of the arch and eventually up surrounding the flue.

Comment

congratulations on your first pizzas in the oven. That is a big achievement. I can't wait to see how it turns out

Randy

Comment

Yes very nice. The first dome clearing and the first pies are so memorable. Even the charcoal lit to start the curing fires was an accomplishment. Good job Chef! Really want to see what you will be cooking in there. A Chef and a WFO I think magic is going to start happening nearby.

Ricky
            My Build Pictures
            https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...18BD00F374765D

Comment

Originally posted by Chach View Post
              Yes very nice. The first dome clearing and the first pies are so memorable. Even the charcoal lit to start the curing fires was an accomplishment. Good job Chef! Really want to see what you will be cooking in there. A Chef and a WFO I think magic is going to start happening nearby.

Ricky
              You got that right. I have a friend that is a executive chef was kind of mad at me that i sold the pizza oven and bought a new house. He loved cooking in it. It gave him the opportunity to really geek out over food and do his thing.

Comment

Originally posted by RandyJ View Post

You got that right. I have a friend that is a executive chef was kind of mad at me that i sold the pizza oven and bought a new house. He loved cooking in it. It gave him the opportunity to really geek out over food and do his thing.
                Ha hopefully when Chef starts cooking I get an invite hint hint lol
                My Build Pictures

Comment

Ha hopefully when Chef starts cooking I get an invite hint hint lol
                  You are only like a 7hr drive from my house. I could make it too

Randy

Comment

Thanks guys! Your welcome anytime! Here are some more pizzas from a small get together. Did a couple cheese, and simple pizzas, but attached are some different ones. Spicy sausage with caramelized fennel, broccolini, and fontina; Pepperoni with Calabrian chilies and honey (trust me with the honey); Carnitas pizza with salsa verde and pickled red onions. Also did some pita bread to start with white bean/rosemary hummus, and a cherry crumble for dessert. All turned out pretty well, and learning to manage the heat as I go.
                    Build-wise, I am having trouble finding time lately with work, family, party expectations , and the rest. Hopefully get the concrete countertops poured this weekend so I can get the chimney started.

Comment

Looking real good! I made (22) 9" pizzas last Thursday for my daughter's birthday. A few of my daughter's friends and their parents got to experience the goodness of the oven. You become pretty popular when your slinging pizza out of your yard. Everyone wants curbside lol. It however was my best pizza making day to date. Pizza came out great my prep was good I do find that I am in need of a sous chef to assemble the pizzas while i cook that would make me go twice as fast.

Ricky
                      Last edited by Chach; 08-19-2020, 11:41 AM.
                      My Build Pictures

Comment

Looking real good! I made (22) 9" pizzas last Thursday for my daughter's birthday. A few of my daughter's friends and their parents got to experience the goodness of the oven. You become pretty popular when your slinging pizza out of your yard. Everyone wants curbside lol. It however was my best pizza making day to date. Pizza came out great my prep was good I do find that I am in need of a sous chef to assemble the pizzas while i cook that would make me go twice as fast.

Ricky
                        You got that right. We had several people from our daycare that absolutely rave about the pizzas i made in my oven. Also a few of the wife's friends said that I made the best pizza they ever had.

Randy

Comment

Originally posted by RandyJ View Post

You got that right. We had several people from our daycare that absolutely rave about the pizzas i made in my oven. Also a few of the wife's friends said that I made the best pizza they ever had.

Randy
                          Randy!!! Did you start your new oven yet? I agree people will say you make the best pizza they ever had. The oven really helps with that for sure. You can't fake the taste of this type of pizza..

Ricky
                          My Build Pictures

Comment

No the oven has been put on hold till at least next year. I had just went back to work and the company had not verified how much work they had and wound up short calling me. So I have worked 2 weeks in the past 11 months. So all unnecessary expenses are on hold for the moment.

Comment

It's been a crazy year. Hope things get back on track soon! My neighbors have been hounding me to have a party, so this weekend I will be making around 20 pizzas. Can't wait!! I have my Italian starter going from https://sourdo.com/ and trying perfect the dough this week.
                              For the build, it's been slow but lot of brick laying and poured the concrete countertops. I added some 'charcoal' color to the concrete and I really like how it's coming together. I just need to find some extra time to finish this brick work.

Comment

Chef_Marsh -wow! Things are looking terrific and watching the masterpieces emerge from that oven are getting me excited to move to that point!
                                Thank you (all!) for sharing your pizza escapades and the promise of good things to come with fire!
                                Barry
                                You are welcome to visit my build HERE

Comment

Working...
                                X