Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    As Mike mentioned, I start my moderate size stack right under the chimney vent doing a top down burn, when the chimney warms up and is drafting good I push the stack into the dome and cranker up! PS this is after the oven us cured.

Leave a comment:

• Neil.B
    replied
    Originally posted by JRPizza View Post
    I think that is fairly normal. One of my friends that had the first oven I ever saw used to say you could burn tires in the oven and as long as your food was below the smoke line you wouldn't taste it. Not something I am going to try
    He even had two tuscan style grills, one with long enough legs so his meat could cook up in the smoke area for flavor (hopefully no tires)
    I thought smoke clears after a short while

Leave a comment:

• Neil.B
    replied
    Originally posted by SableSprings View Post
    Nice video Neil! What you are seeing is a perfectly normal startup. The flue needs to have the "contained air" heated in order for it to rise and start pulling in a good draw. Old timers with wood fired stoves would often light a pine-cone or roll of newspaper and hold it at the base of the chimney to get the flow going. If it's cold outside and you have a tall flue/chimney, the cold air contained in the stack actually resists the warmer air below...just like a plug in the system. That's why if you have a taller chimney it takes a little longer to get the draw started and why the pine-cone/newspaper is almost essential to get things moving more quickly. As the flue heats up, the draw increases and the smoke is pretty much "immediately" pulled up & out.

Hope that explains it well enough. By the way, I have always loved how you can see the layering of air moving in low (cool & clear) and exiting high (warm/hot & initially smoky).
    Thanks for the explanation. I didn't realise a cold chimney had an effect on the dome, i thought it meant smoke would have trouble going up and would exit out the arch.

I know it's only a small fire but considering I only had a makeshift chimney that faces the roof of the pergola, i was happy with the amount of smoke that went up. Only the odd wispers of smoke came out the arch, obviously the bigger the fire the more smoke, but i won't be doing any bigger until i add the flue.

I agree about the smoke layer exiting. You can see in my video the way it curves upwards without being anywhere near the inner arch.

Leave a comment:

• JRPizza
    replied
    I think that is fairly normal. One of my friends that had the first oven I ever saw used to say you could burn tires in the oven and as long as your food was below the smoke line you wouldn't taste it. Not something I am going to try
    He even had two tuscan style grills, one with long enough legs so his meat could cook up in the smoke area for flavor (hopefully no tires)

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied
    That’s pretty much what it looks like in cold oven, even with a flue.

Leave a comment:

• SableSprings
    replied
    Nice video Neil! What you are seeing is a perfectly normal startup. The flue needs to have the "contained air" heated in order for it to rise and start pulling in a good draw. Old timers with wood fired stoves would often light a pine-cone or roll of newspaper and hold it at the base of the chimney to get the flow going. If it's cold outside and you have a tall flue/chimney, the cold air contained in the stack actually resists the warmer air below...just like a plug in the system. That's why if you have a taller chimney it takes a little longer to get the draw started and why the pine-cone/newspaper is almost essential to get things moving more quickly. As the flue heats up, the draw increases and the smoke is pretty much "immediately" pulled up & out.

Hope that explains it well enough. By the way, I have always loved how you can see the layering of air moving in low (cool & clear) and exiting high (warm/hot & initially smoky).

Leave a comment:

• Neil.B
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Neil.B
    replied
    Smoke seems to hover half way up the dome, is this normal or is it because I made a makeshift chimney with no flue and there isn't enough draw?
    Last edited by Neil.B; 10-04-2020, 10:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Neil.B
    replied
    Ope-dog the slate is paving that i have under the chimnea and the path/patio (once i lay them), another item i got of Facebook market place for free

Leave a comment:

• Ope-dog
    replied
    Well if your thermo blocks look that snazzy, I can't wait to see the actual slate! :-)

Great job closing the dome!

Leave a comment:

• Neil.B
    replied
    From the inside. Still needs cleaning.
    Most builds only have about 1" around the inner arch for smoke to be directed to the vent/flue but are 9" long.
    Mine has 5"*8" in most areas. I'm hoping the 6"*3" side channels along with the large area above will allow smoke to exit without coming out the front.

I wasn't originally happy with my brickwork, but after the first fire I think it looks good.

Leave a comment:

• Neil.B
    replied
    Thank Ope-dog , I haven't done the slate yet. All the blue/grey is thermolite blocks that will be rendered.

Leave a comment:

• Ope-dog
    replied
    You're making great progress! That slate looks awesome.. can't wait to see it all buttoned up. :-)

Leave a comment:

• Neil.B
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	530.5 KB
ID:	431056 Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	563.5 KB
ID:	431057 Outer arch done.

Need to decide on the landing, I have 30mm slate paving that will look nice but not sure if it will handle the ambient heat. Maybe some thin firebricks underneath to obsorb the heat, rather than insulation.

Leave a comment:

• Neil.B
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	430988 Chimney taking shape. I wanted the smoke chamber large to help stop smoke entering the pergola. No idea if its going to work, but worth a try.
    Last edited by Neil.B; 09-28-2020, 02:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X