• Show
Clear All

• Neil.B
    replied
    A few more laid this afternoon.

Leave a comment:

• Baza
    replied
    Yeah! Totally answers my question - really interesting build.
    I was just wondering if the tight space around the dome was dictating the shape/build vs the other way around - but I should know better that you have had the whole beauty planned out!
    I really like the set up and it is inspiring to see your work come together.

Fingers crossed for a weekend of arch building, course closing and the like!
    Thanks for the ideas!
    Barry

Leave a comment:

• Neil.B
    replied
    Baza
    I originally planned on a 36" and done a 48" base but didn't consider the Thermolite walls, i ended up with a 32". I could of extended the hearth forward more to allow for a 36" but didn't want to take up more room under the pergola.
    There should be enough room for two layers of 1" blanket around the bottom course's before I hit the walls. The Thermolite walls are a good insulator so should retain the heat ok. The walls will be built up to the roof, so the oven will be fully enclosed. A few inches up the gap widens and all void spaces will be filled with vermiculite.
    The dome looks low compared to the arch as my arch is 19"*12", so the ratio is 75%. I decided on 19" wide as this is the size of my large roasting tin. I belive a 32" oven arch height should be around 10.5", but i felt this was to low so went with 12" instead. Once I start cooking I will know if this was a mistake.
    If the above didn't answer you question, what do you mean by fit the space

Neil
    Last edited by Neil.B; 09-03-2020, 12:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Baza
    replied
    Neil.B Really happy for you! You're making great progress and really like how the space is shaping up! Your build is interesting and I'm wondering if the shape of the dome is intentional to fit the space? I only ask because I am embracing my own imperfections in my own build and recognizing from many that they are not the type that will hurt your ability to cook well. Of course - none of us want to have our ovens collapse! And I don't see that for either of us - but I think we have to give ourselves - many first masons - permission to have variances! Enjoying following your build and thank you for input and support on mine!

Leave a comment:

• Neil.B
    replied
    This is the great thing about this site, everyone needs guidance and there is always someone about to help.

Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    I am merely pointing the key design factors that a builder needs to factor in when designing an IT that gives the builder the best options for building and flexibility. If yours works for you then great. The forum is here to guide builders with the best options from hundreds of designs we see annually whether they are simple or complex. Like I mentioned, some of the offsets cause alignment error that are cumulative over each course and need to be adjusted for accordingly, hence an adjustable IT helps in this case.

Leave a comment:

• Neil.B
    replied
    UtahBeehiver are you giving guidance to anyone new reading my thread or saying mine won't work?
    Mine isn't adjustable (unless you undo the duct-tape) but so far would of worked if i had taken my time with cutting the template and cooking bricks.
    Until I get to my last course of bricks I won't be 100% sure, but like many other builders I doubt if I will be using it until the end.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    I am all about the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid) but the design whether simple or complex still needs to incorporate the three key design criteria I mention early for the IT to do it's job properly.

Leave a comment:

• Neil.B
    replied
    Ope-dog from my own experience I would say keep it as basic as possible, I spent so much time trying to cut the arch to match up with the row of bricks, many on here just build an arch then cut the bricks to fit, I wish i would of done the same as some bricks took about 2 hours for one brick due to the multiple angles.

On the other hand, others spend days designing and building an IT, mine took a couple of minutes... and i can take it apart and re-use the hinge and nail (not knocking anyones IT, some are very impressive)

Looking forward to seeing your build too.

Neil

Leave a comment:

• Ope-dog
    replied
    Hi Neil B! Thank you for putting up more pics. I also appreciate that you've included a few pics that show sections which didn't live up to your expectations. I'm confident that most DIYers have many projects where all we can focus on are the short-comings, meanwhile most folks probably just look on in amazement at the project and how well it turned out. My thought is this.. if I wanted a perfect oven, I would've ordered a kit and put it together. But anyone can do that! Anyone can stroke a check and have a perfectly installed " X,Y,Z " in their yard. Along with no hard work, sweat, blood, uniqueness and a sense of accomplishment. And it will look just like their neighbors, and their neighbors, etc.

One thing I truly appreciate on this site is that even though most folks are building a brick igloo.. they're all different to some degree. "A Rock and a Hard Place" is a fantastic example of this. It's also very encouraging that most people also do like you did, and that is share their experiences, both good and bad. A 1" discrepancy in the build, especially with your design, will no doubt never be seen (unless an WFO expert comes and sticks his head inside your oven!) and will certainly not change the taste of the pizza, I'm sure. :-)

Your space and pics are great. I am excited to see your overall project upon its completion. Thanks for sharing!

Leave a comment:

• Neil.B
    replied
    Ope-dog Thanks. The IT has worked perfect apart from you can't keep going in the same direction as there is a bolt screwed in to the base. So you have to reverse around the direction or it will either tighten or unscrew if you don't reverse.
    some of the IT's on here are amazing but very complicated, mine is very basic from bits laying around.

The main issue and the reason my build isn't perfectly round is my cutting skills. I used a piece of string to create the circle for the template, then didn't cut very well with a jigsaw, then the cooking floor didn't have perfectly flat edges. This might not sound a big deal but there is about a 1" difference in one part of the circle, where the row meets the inner arch.

UtahBeehiver The IT is offset as I added a bit of timber between the length of metal and nail. I done this after completing the first row.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200901_082058_copy_1512x2016.jpg Views:	0 Size:	488.8 KB ID:	429251
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Neil.B; 09-01-2020, 12:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    There are a couple issues with this design that should be addressed. First the center pivot point is not at the center of the dome, this will affect the diameter of the oven as you move up. Second, most important of all. From the pivot point (center off the oven at floor elevation) along the IT rod "Needs" to intersect the mid point on the brick face, This ensures that the brick face in perpendicular to the center of the oven with the correct tilt, if not the error is cumulative as you move up throwing off each course face more and more. Third, IT rod length should be adjustable.

There are some simple IT out there, just make sure these three items are incorporated in the design.

Leave a comment:

• Ope-dog
    replied
    Hi Niel B... your build is looking great! I have noticed your IT seems to be a bit more simplistic than other ITs I've seen people using on this site. It looks like you have the hinge mounted to the center point of your oven. Overall, I'm thinking of copying the design you're using as well, but I was wondering if you expect to encounter an offset issue when you get to the final few rows of your dome, or do you plan on "winging" it once you get high enough and the offset issue won't come in to play?

Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• Neil.B
    replied
    Few more bricks laid today. Couldn't get much done as i can't bend over for long due to bad back and it's to tight a space to stand up
    First row above inner arch. Each arch brick was cut to match the row of bricks.
    Not perfect, but I'm happy.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20200831_191945_copy_1512x2016.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	540.5 KB
ID:	429228 Click image for larger version

Name:	20200831_193230_copy_1512x2016.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	733.3 KB
ID:	429229 Click image for larger version

Name:	20200831_192009_copy_1512x2016.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	789.3 KB
ID:	429230 Click image for larger version

Name:	20200831_193214_copy_1512x2016.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	765.0 KB
ID:	429231 Click image for larger version

Name:	20200831_191952_copy_1512x2016.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	411.4 KB
ID:	429232

Leave a comment:

• Neil.B
    replied
    Got the inner arch and a few more bricks laid today. Took the arch form work out straight away.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X