Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neil.B
    replied
    Had a result today...600ltrs of (new)vermiculite for £30. Amazon sell it for £40 for 100ltr.
    Should keep me going for a while.

Leave a comment:

• Neil.B
    replied
    Originally posted by russ randolph View Post
    Looking good. Great idea with the time capsule. Also like your design. Look forward to seeing it complete.
    Thanks Russ.
    I wish I had thought of the time capsule before, it was a last minute thing and a bit wasted. It should be interesting for someone to find in years to come.

I'm looking forward to it being finished too, as it's all in my head

Leave a comment:

• russ randolph
    replied
    Looking good. Great idea with the time capsule. Also like your design. Look forward to seeing it complete.

Leave a comment:

• Neil.B
    replied
    Also trimmed up the inner arch brick to try and be inline with the 3rd row.

Leave a comment:

• Neil.B
    replied
    Bit more done at the weekend.

Leave a comment:

• Neil.B
    replied
    Got more done today. My back is killing me as I have little room to work in.

Leave a comment:

• Neil.B
    replied
    Thanks Barry. Good luck with your build.

Leave a comment:

• Baza
    replied
    You're going for it mate!! Well done!!
    I read often that the 'variances' you notice will not be noticed by others and the thing will cook a treat!
    I"m REALLY counting on that too! HA!

Good on you!
    Keep going!!
    Barry

Leave a comment:

• Neil.B
    replied
    Bit more done. Took about 2 hours to cut the first part of the arch, i think it had 4 different angled cuts.
    Bricks not perfect but trying to use all the bricks. I can get 6 bricks out of one.

Leave a comment:

• Neil.B
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Neil.B
    replied
    Two and a half hours later I have the first row.
    I made a very simple IT with bits laying around and will add some addons when I start the second row.
    There's quite a bit of gap around the edge as the base wasn't perfectly circular.
    The 12"x6" bricks were cut in to three, so the first row is 6" high x 4" deep.

Leave a comment:

• skelly27
    replied
    Originally posted by Neil.B View Post

I think you are over thinking the arch.
    On some cardboard (or simular) decide how wide you want it and mark the middle, then use the same from the top down. Then use some string or wood the same width as from the centre to edge and draw an arc.
    This is your final template.
    Then decide how high do you want the arch from the floor. Cut some timber and fix to the template.
    place it were the final arch will be, and stand back and next to it to visualise how it will look. I made the arch lower than the bottom of the hearth to allow some rows of bricks above.
    My left arch is slightly flatter as the width is wider and the arc was to high, the bricks above would not of lined up.
    The left arch starts at five bricks high, i then decided I wanted the hearth higher, so the middle and left arch is 6 bricks high.
    Once you are happy transfer to a solid template.
    Build your sides flat up to the bottom of your template. The final row will need a brick cut at an angle(I used 45 degrees). Remember to cut you timber slightly shorter to allow wedges underneath for easy removal of template.

If you want to be really accurate then use the following site. I will be using it when building the 8' arch above the grill.
    https://www.blocklayer.com/masonry-arch.aspx
    Lovely, thanks for all that. Very helpful.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    Sorry, I was replying to your post #34 and assumed that was your progress to date.
    Last edited by david s; 08-12-2020, 01:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Neil.B
    replied
    Originally posted by david s View Post
    Neil, before pouring the concrete for your supporting slab, consider casting in some weep/drain holes near the centre where the oven floor will be. This assists in drying moisture from the underfloor insulation. Some foam or polystyrene places as you pour is pretty easy to remove.
    Thanks Dave but I have already poured or was your comment for skelly27

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    Neil, before pouring the concrete for your supporting slab, consider casting in some weep/drain holes near the centre where the oven floor will be. This assists in drying moisture from the underfloor insulation. Some foam or polystyrene places as you pour is pretty easy to remove.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X