X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baza
    replied
    mongota - thank you!!

I understand you have experience with Red Guard … I’m wondering if I can (should) use it on my concrete block and board as a membrane before applying a scratch coat for the stone and brick veneer?

oh - and do you (or anyone) think I NEED lathing to apply stone and brick veneer… or can I just put the scratch coat over the Red Guard then apply the two finishes?

interested in thoughts!

thanks
    Barry

Leave a comment:

• mongota
    replied
    Just seeing these now, sorry I missed your previous.
    Agree, that is plenty stout. Plenty of structural rigidity as is, the sheathing will add more shear strength.
    The found bricks will be a nice addition.
    Well done!

Leave a comment:

• Baza
    replied
    Thanks my friends!! Very kind words and yes- it is the basics of fire, cooking and family - isn't it?

We've been doing it for thousands of years - and trading stories around such places - the Forno brings that back. I've learned so much from Valerio, his business (and the guts to do it in the 50's when Italians were not treated very well here back then), his technique and his life in Italy during the war. Just the building of it has brought this all back - can't wait for the cooking!

Utah - thank you for the feedback (very valued!) - I hope this structure is around for a long time so others can trade stories over flame and food!

Take care - off to finish a few last bits of metal, buttress the flue sides with a cinderblock on either side, enclose the bottom with concrete board and fill the enclosure!
    Hopefully get around to a first fire tonight! Woo!

All the best
    Barry

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Nice steel work on enclosure, built like a tank.

Leave a comment:

• JRPizza
    replied
    Valerio looks pretty good for 88! It's so cool how food and cooking can bring a family together.

Leave a comment:

• Baza
    replied
    Originally posted by JRPizza View Post
    Barry, how was your father-in-law's 88th birthday? What did he think of the plaque?
    JRPizza - wow, how kind of you to remember and ask!!

He LOVED it - very moved and very excited to get the piece in place (he wants more made so he can take one to Italy!!

Have a look ... (I can't wait to make our first pizza together!)

Leave a comment:

• JRPizza
    replied
    Barry, how was your father-in-law's 88th birthday? What did he think of the plaque?

Leave a comment:

• MarkJerling
    replied
    Originally posted by Baza View Post
    ENCLOSURE COMPLETE!

Hello Forno Friends!!

Well, I managed to complete the steel framing of the enclosure without tearing my arms and legs to shreds! (a few battle scars but was worth it!).
    Sore shoulders from getting drill into position for some screw points - but all worked out! (using an Impact Drill was the way to go!).

I think it is a bit overbuilt (esp/ front and back - but wanted to support the 12" overhang in front and 6" in back ... didn't want sag ... who does a this age!?)
    Also - the front facing supports were a bugger to put in - but provide support and flat face for screwing in the concrete board.

QUESTION: do I need angle pieces on either side of the oven opening (45 or so degrees)?
    Certainly would help with nailing the concrete board - but is such a component structural?

So - next steps will be: screwing in the concrete board, filling with loose vermiculite (after squaring corners to use less bags ... they are expensive here! wow!).
    Going to start curing process tomorrow!! EEESH! SLOW and STEADY is the pace I've learned from this forum ... but wow - a first fire - can't wait!.

Well - that's all for now!
    Hope everyone is well
    Barry
    Wow, that looks really professional Barry! Well done.

Leave a comment:

• Baza
    replied
    Oh - and I found some terrific antique brick for the decorative arch today!
    50 cents each (they are mostly $5/brick in my research - so made the hour's drive to get them - they are gorgeous!!
    Wanted more to build ... something! Anything!

I think they will look nice with the stone facing - coming soon!
    Barry

Leave a comment:

• Baza
    replied
    ENCLOSURE COMPLETE!

Hello Forno Friends!!

Well, I managed to complete the steel framing of the enclosure without tearing my arms and legs to shreds! (a few battle scars but was worth it!).
    Sore shoulders from getting drill into position for some screw points - but all worked out! (using an Impact Drill was the way to go!).

I think it is a bit overbuilt (esp/ front and back - but wanted to support the 12" overhang in front and 6" in back ... didn't want sag ... who does a this age!?)
    Also - the front facing supports were a bugger to put in - but provide support and flat face for screwing in the concrete board.

QUESTION: do I need angle pieces on either side of the oven opening (45 or so degrees)?
    Certainly would help with nailing the concrete board - but is such a component structural?

So - next steps will be: screwing in the concrete board, filling with loose vermiculite (after squaring corners to use less bags ... they are expensive here! wow!).
    Going to start curing process tomorrow!! EEESH! SLOW and STEADY is the pace I've learned from this forum ... but wow - a first fire - can't wait!.

Well - that's all for now!
    Hope everyone is well
    Barry
    Last edited by Baza; 07-14-2021, 05:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Baza
    replied
    QUESTIONS:

Forno Friends!!

I'm wondering about finishes - I'm going to clad the front in stone and for cost reasons (it is an oven and a money pit now) I'm looking to stucco the sides and back (I think I said earlier I wouldn't - but a lad can change his mind!) - of the many questions I have - they are in no particular order and keen to learn from you:
    1. ROOF - what kind of plywood (thickness/rating?)
    2. ROOF FINISH: going to shingle for now - after plywood, what kind of felt? Any hacks to get just a bit instead of a whole roll?
    3. ROOF VENTILATION - are a couple of under-eve vents (4"x16") on either side of the roof plus a vent in top of back gable (how big?) enough for air flow?
    4. ENCLOSURE:
      1. It is cement board on top and cement block below - do I waterproof? Do I wrap? All 4 sides or just stucco'd sides? How do I attach wrap to these materials?
      2. metal lathing - what weight? need for all 4 sides or just stucco sides? stone veneer side too? how do I attach to cement board? cement block?
    JEEZ!
    That's a lot of questions - but I will throw it out there! Grateful for any insight from this amazing group!

Humbly (and wishing I had someone show me this stuff when I was growing up)
    Barry

Leave a comment:

• Baza
    replied
    TRUSSES!

Got these done today - feel good about how they turned out!

My chimney flashing is about 30 degrees or 7/12 slope - I used this dimension to build a simple form to build each truss (other builders here gave me the idea! True for EVERYTHING!)
    Cuts and fastening went well (those little self-tapping screws are bullets!! WOW - right through no worries!).

Front and Rear-facing trusses had cross-beams/rafters(?) recessed into them as they will be facing outward to hold studs for the cantilever and couldn't just slap on the back like the others (come to think of it - the rear one could have ... sigh ... hindsight). But the front needed to be flush as it was SO close to the chimney (in fact, in the previous post - you can see I had to cut out the front cross track to accommodate the chimney - it won't lose that much instructional integrity ... he hoped!).

Lined up the trusses today for square and just have to move one upright stud a bit to make sure it is directly under where the truss will sit (causes it to be a bit off the 16" o.c. - is that a problem? should I put another upright stud beside it? or is this assembly strong enough?)

Finally, going to build the cantilever parts on the front and back trusses BEFORE putting them up in place (just easier I figure, we'll see). Going to put them up tomorrow!

Leave a comment:

• Baza
    replied
    ENCLOSURE

Hey Forno Friends - got the base of the enclosure going!!
    Using 18 gauge steel (saw the 25 at the box store - whoa! - big difference - was like aluminum foil compared to this stuff!). Was my first time framing let alone using steel to do it.
    Couldn't use snips - had to cut with 14" chop saw and 4.5" grinder - both with abrasive wheels. Cut like butter (but did leave burring that I had to snip off).

Used basic framing principles: keep it level and square! and have 16" on centre studs.
    Felt somewhat flimsy until I capped the top in place - WOW - bomb shelter! I was very happy with the result! The bubbles in the levels tell me things went well too!

Great learning!
    Oh - note - I'm glad I used an impact drill over a simple drill - power/start-stop - all the mechanical plusses to make this piece go well.

Leave a comment:

• Baza
    replied
    INSULATING!

So - got the insulation sorted!
    Tapcon'd screws into he hearth floor after wrapping 3" of blanket around the dome (am I alone in that I was kinda sorry to see the bricks go??).
    Going to pour 4" loose vermiculite all around/on top to finish the thermal protection once the enclosure is built.
    Secured the blanket in place using rebar wire left over! Worked great - holding firm!

QUESTION: I don't have the chimney on - so not starting the curing fires yet (and it is covered by a tent given the amount of rain we seem to get 2-3x weekly that would go up like a torch!) - but wondering if I should WAIT until the enclosure is built and the vermiculite is in place for the curing fires to start? Or start now with just the blanket - and remove the tent to do it (ugh)?

Thanks for any insight!
    Barry
    Last edited by Baza; 07-02-2021, 10:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Baza
    replied
    Forno Friends!!!!

IT HAS BEEN SO LONG since updating this build and connecting with all of YOU! Work has been a bear and just haven't had the time to work on it since my last post in May.
    SableSprings MarkJerling - thanks for the encouraging words (as always!)

​​BUT - certainly had some progress recently .. will update!

Petter thank you for the confidence in the solution re: insulation - I went with 3" all around (will share shortly) and will top with loose vermiculite in the enclosure.
    GFI I'm very grateful for your sourcing of the perlite! I will be seeing Elvis and crew shortly - so going that way anyway - if I come up short on my calculations - I'll take that route!
    Ope-dog thanks for the check in - as mentioned - will be doing loose vermiculite in the enclosure - no hard coat for me as I do not trust my ability to seal it well enough to survive the freeze-thaw cycle here in the Great White North! HA! Kudos to those who can!

It is going to move quicker now ... deadline for first pizza party is my Birthday - July 31 - and it HAS to happen!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X