Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 42" In South GA

Hey FB fam!
    Getting planning done and sourcing supplies for this project. I posted some picture under a different thread, but this seems to be the correct sub for a full build and to get attention for ALL the questions I may have.
    First one being about the sideways rainstorms we get here. Just going through my checklist...1) weepholes >tile> foamglas> Cal Sil > Oven floor?? That sound right?

Nice setup. Good luck.
    How are you planning on going through the roof?
    My 32" oven, grill & smoker build https://community.fornobravo.com/for...oven-and-grill

Comment

Thanks...the roof and chimney is definitely a point that scares me a bit...I am pretty sure I will avoid my beams, and then cut through the tin roof and seal it up real good.

Comment

Not sure you really need to do tiles if you have a FoamGlas layer since this material is nonhydrophobic (won't absorb water). Typically tiles are used to raise CaSi off the hearth floor since this material is really water absorbent.
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Utah...is one better than the other?..obviously tile is cheaper, but will the FoamGlas really help with moisture and rain that gets on the base.? and if I went with the tile should I go 4" of Calsil?

Comment

FoamGlas will keep water from wicking up from the hearth since it will not absorb water. You just have to compare cost either one is a good alternative. Also a good budget alternative is 5 to 1 p or vcrete but you have to double thickness to be equivalent to CaSi or CaSi/FoamGlas. Sometimes FoamGlas is hard to find since it seems it is now produced in Europe, it use to be made in the USA.

PS the new ThermoGold 1200 (formally Thermogold 12) CaSi board is supposedly water resistant.
            Russell
            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I have a simular roof but made out of fibreglass sheets, I haven't worked it out either.
              I think the chimney will act like a dam if going through the grooves. I was thinking about changing to a flat roof section just before the chimney to allow easy water flow.
              My 32" oven, grill & smoker build https://community.fornobravo.com/for...oven-and-grill

Comment

Nice set up! Really amazing cooking space!
                I put tiles down and just one layer of Cal Si -- in hindsight I would have done two - just to increase the thermal layer for heat retention for long cooks
                (that said, I think it will be fine as people I've followed did the same level of floor insulation and are cooking up a storm)

The rest - as Utah says - is up to you!

Have fun mate! It's a great experience!
                Barry
                You are welcome to visit my build HERE

Comment

I think I am going to skip the Foamglas and just go two layers of CalSi....I know 2-3 weep holes is good at 3/4"? Should they be on the perimeter of the "oven floor diameter" or the perimeter of the CalSi? Also, any size tile or smaller work better?

Comment

edonovan I found I put my randomly around the centre figuring any egress will tend to the low points - the hearth was quite level so I poured some water to see if there were any low spots - there were two small ones - so I did the holes there as the water would tend to the low spots - just hoping they never have to serve their purpose!
                    Good luck!
                    Barry
                    You are welcome to visit my build HERE

Comment

Anyone can give me insight between these two CalSi...One better than the other? Is 1 overkill?
                      Attached Files

Comment

Don't order the "scored" boards. They are designed to be fit around large diameter pipe. Laying flat on a hearth, the scores will leave uninsulated voids.
                        Last edited by Gulf; 09-29-2020, 08:45 AM. Reason: spelling
                        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thanks Gulf , I saw those on the sheet and definitely questioned them, it looks like they have a flat block option...just questioning if either one is better? My understanding is the Thermo1200 is waterproof and the Fire Temp is not, but rated for 2000 degrees (is this overkill?) Obviously pricing will play a role, but I am leaning towards the waterproof. The rep also stated that the Fire Temp is much denser product, so I also want to make sure that I can cut to shape.

Comment

Probably overkill. But, I will let Russell look at it. The scoring just sort of jumped off the page at me lol.
                            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

more info I just got emailed...The Super Firetemp board is a 20# PCF and the calcium silicate is 15# PCF. I understand that is density, but are those "standard"?

Comment

Working...
                              X