No announcement yet.

Brisbane Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After much searching at a number of automotive stores and a number of truck part stores, i was able to locate a "nipple" which I think will do the job. The brass nipple which i was able to locate at a hydraulics shop. The vent that keeps getting referred to throughout the forum, seems to be easily located in the USA but not in Australia.

Apart from going on a family holiday (which coincided beautifully with drying the first coat of render) I have not been able to do anything on the oven, because of absolutely destroying my hands.

Rendering is sooo much easier using your hands rather than the tools, however chicken wire tends to cut up your hands pretty badly. 24hs later my hand was swollen, red and weeping. Said to the wife it should be right .. lets go to the chemist and get get some sort of antiseptic lotion. Chemist looked at my hand, laughed and said you are going straight to the doctor. Yes I know that you should not use bare hands on cement and lime, however it is so much easier.

7 days, 4 doctors visits later, 2 courses of antibiotics and treatment for chemical burns, hands have almost recovered. But have i learnt my lesson ---- probably not.

Comment

Hey Hatzi,
      so sorry to hear of your predicament, i learnt that lesson when I started mortaring the first row of bricks.
      Get well soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatzi View Post
        After much searching at a number of automotive stores and a number of truck part stores, i was able to locate a "nipple" which I think will do the job. The brass nipple which i was able to locate at a hydraulics shop. The vent that keeps getting referred to throughout the forum, seems to be easily located in the USA but not in Australia.

Apart from going on a family holiday (which coincided beautifully with drying the first coat of render) I have not been able to do anything on the oven, because of absolutely destroying my hands.

Rendering is sooo much easier using your hands rather than the tools, however chicken wire tends to cut up your hands pretty badly. 24hs later my hand was swollen, red and weeping. Said to the wife it should be right .. lets go to the chemist and get get some sort of antiseptic lotion. Chemist looked at my hand, laughed and said you are going straight to the doctor. Yes I know that you should not use bare hands on cement and lime, however it is so much easier.

7 days, 4 doctors visits later, 2 courses of antibiotics and treatment for chemical burns, hands have almost recovered. But have i learnt my lesson ---- probably not.
        Rubber gloves mate!
        My 42" build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ld-new-zealand
        My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

Working...
        X