42 Inch Pompeii Build Eagle Idaho

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well done John!
    You're blazing ahead and looks like things are going well - though you're not exactly a newbie at this.
    Hope you're making sure you accommodate for the rise on your IT pivot point - I think Utah is keen to makes sure of this in his moderation and I think it has helped many

your base looks huge for a 42". Perhaps it is a perspective thing in the photo.
    Good pace you're keeping - I imagine you are making adjustments already from the first time you built

Good luck!
    Barry
    You are welcome to visit my build HERE

Comment

Thank you Barry sorry I didn't see this until now. Yes I think that rise in the IT tool caused my angle calcs in the first course to be off by about what looks like 7 or so degrees or off by one course. Luckily I caught it part way through the first course after the half soldiers and think I have it corrected now. I'm decent at math, but jeez it shows you really have to double check the angles at each course to make sure.

The base is extra big just so I don't have to worry about the steel studs pinching the blanket around the dome. It is probably not that big of a pay off, but remember it being tight on my last build. I really appreciate your feed back.
      Thanks,
      John

Comment

Floor cut

Comment

Chamfered top edges of floor bricks to keep peel from catching an edge.
          Attached Files

Comment

Passing the pizza peel test with the inspector present.
            Attached Files

Comment

Half soldiers in.
              Attached Files

Comment

Checking cut angles for 1st and 2nd courses.
                Attached Files

Comment

First course is in.
                  Attached Files

Comment

This is actually the first course in. Checking for level on the inner arch.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Another view of first course in.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Starting second course.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Ok just getting back to the build from hibernating over winter, but I need some more mortar. In my last build and this one, I've relied on the FB mortar, but I don't see it for sale on the site anymore. Am I missing something? Just getting ready to build the inner arch.

Comment

Best to ask FB directly, but that said if you want to go with a commercial refractory mortar (most expensive option), there are several brands out there available at any refractory supply store, ie HeatStop 50 etc. Good old home brew is a great option as well 3 sand, 1 lime, 1 portland, 1 fireclay. the home brew has been used by hundreds of forum members.
                            Russell
                            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks yeah I just heard from FB they stopped selling it, but recommended I use any high heat mortar I can find locally. I'm tempted to use the home brew especially now after 1 and 1/2 builds I have enough fire clay and then some, but I also don't want to chance not getting the best mortar possible hoping it's a little more forgiving for a non pro brick layer like me. :-) I found a place here that sells HeatStop 50 for $100 per 50 lb bag. I think I'll splurge on that for the pizza oven and use homebrew on my next build which is an outdoor fireplace I know I'll need lots of mortar for.

Comment

I think home brew is more forgiving and less costly. If you look at the recommended mortar joint sizes for commercial refractory mortar ie Heatstop, you will see that they recommend 1/16" joints with a max of (I think) 3/8" or may be 1/2" which you will see on the back side of the dome. That said, I have seen some builders get away with large Heatstop backside joints.
                                Russell
                                Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Working...
                                X