X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frances
    replied
    Re: Les' Build

No one would know unless you tell them... your tools look great!

In fact I may try the pooper scooper idea. Brilliant!

Leave a comment:

• christo
    replied

Very nice storage solution, too.

I like the metal handles - I've had my tools outside for so long that the wooden handles had become stained and blackened. Not too appetizing...

Had to clean them with a scrubber pad and bleach. It's already time to do them again!!!

I presume the pooper scooper was brand new?

Christo

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

This is a poor man's approach to the tools. I got the peel as a gift - it had a 12 inch handle, not gonna work in this application. I bought the brush for cheap on the Internet, and that's right boy's and girl's - the shovel and rake is a pooper scooper from Pet Smart. The shaft's were made from EMT pipe and the handles I made from some scrap oak I had in the shop. But what the hey - it fills the time when it's too dark to do masonry. One thing I did realize - my welding skills have gone to crap - use it or lose it.

Les...

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

Got it. I now see that on the photo. At first glance, I thought the brick was sitting on top of the tile. I now see that the tile is trimmed to fit around the brick.

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Mike,

It won't be level with the cooking surface. I will bring the brick up to that height, but the tile is staying where it is (the same height as the rest of the island).

Les...

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

Les, what are your plans to get your entry way "counter" up to level with the cooking surface. Looks like your building up with bricks. If so, what is the purpose of putting the tile down there?

Leave a comment:

• sarah h
    replied

I'm just getting caught up again on your & everyone else's progress - glad to see the pistol cut solved your dilemma. It's going to look really good!

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by Les View Post
    Ken - I have the tile overhanging the the counter the thickness of a tile. I am going to rip one inch pieces and set them underneath for trim.
    That'll look good!

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Originally posted by Breven View Post
    What kind of crazy English is that? Gee whiz...I need some coffee.

Nah! Have another beer!!

Leave a comment:

• Breven
    replied

What kind of crazy English is that? Gee whiz...I need some coffee.

Leave a comment:

• Breven
    replied

Les- looks awesome. However...I don't think we should built your build in the plans. All the first timers will take one look at your brickwork and think that it's impossible!

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Ken - I have the tile overhanging the counter the thickness of a tile. I am going to rip one inch pieces and set them underneath for trim.

Frances - someone is building a dome with no mortar whatsoever - thats where the bar is being raised. Looking forward to watching that progress. I know it can be done, just a butt load of work.

RT - I wished I had a better tile saw. I bought a cheap one from Lowes a few years ago. Makes the job a lot harder then it needs to be.

Les...
    Last edited by Les; 08-05-2008, 01:58 PM. Reason: I stuttered

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Les,

The tile work looks great. I just started cutting mine last night.

Are you going to leave the outer edges of the tile overlapping the brick stand? I really like the way it looks, just wondering if you are concerned about chipping or sharp edges?

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Pretty simple when you think about it, it's called a pistol cut - gets everything back on line.

Les...
    Problem solved.

Excellent as usual Les.

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

Well it certainly looks like I missed out on a lot of fun here...

The cracks seem to be minimal, so I would say that the approach of not using mortar inside the dome is a success.
    That is cool, congratulations Les!

... So it's agreed then, we put Les' oven in the building plans and tell all the new builders that that is exactly how it has to be done....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X