• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pompeii Nate
    replied
    Re: Les' Build

Les,

Amazing job on the build. Just when I thought I had decided to go with an enclosure I looked at your build and now am reconsidering going with the igloo design. Living in a colder climate like I do I go back and forth about whether or not an igloo would hold the temps for 3 or 4 days but I figure if I just insulate properly and sufficiently it should be fine.

That ash pan is an awesome idea. I will have to remember that one.

Nate

Leave a comment:

• carloswlkr
    replied

Looks mighty tasty!

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

We did the entire dinner in the oven - a first for me. The bacon wraps were cooked at the FB open house, pretty easy to do. The flank steak is out of Mary Karlins WFO cook book. The desert came from Ramekins. It has chipotle peppers in it - a pain in the ass to make but it is different.

Leave a comment:

• 1a1n
    replied

new to this, however fantastic brickwork. dont know much and lookinf forward to giving this a go, but have to say, that pic of your oven will be my inspiration.

thanks

Leave a comment:

• Bandrasco
    replied

Hey Les, that looks awesome! We use the oven for everything now. Yesterday I cooked a fresh ham; it was unbelievable!

Happy cooking
    Last edited by Bandrasco; 04-12-2010, 06:30 AM. Reason: typo

Leave a comment:

• trockyh
    replied

Stuffed with blu cheese sounds wonderful. We have a grill like yours and use it all the time. The best tasting ribeye I've ever had. Oh, and hamburgers are wonderful too. And of coarse the pizza! I'm just learning to cook in the oven and enjoy everyone sharing on the forum.

Cheers,
    Tom

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

Whoa. Those look insanely good.

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Another chapter of our awesome ovens!

There were 3 of these bad boy's on the Tuscan grill, the pic is missing that - my bad. They are Rib eye's stuffed with blue cheese and some fine chopped green onion. The coals were started with walnut, then a piece of oak, and finished with a piece of nectarine. The taste was off the chart. I really don't know how much the wood added to the taste, but I recommend this entr?e for every carnivore.

Les...

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Originally posted by dusty View Post

We use wood to build our pizzas on, but the handles are much longer. What if you have to slide a pizza way in there?
    That's why I drink so much beer - keeps my arm in shape.

And thanks for the compliments guy's, appreciate it!

Les...
    Last edited by Les; 03-30-2010, 07:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

Les, it was so nice to see a pic of your oven again! It shows it is possible (with your exceptional skills ) to build the oven without having to have big mortar gaps inside. Even tapering every brick, you (not really YOU, but me, us) have to work hard at not using so much that it squeezes out front.

BTW: your pizza crust looks great! Ya, our ovens are awesome! Thanks again for documenting your wfo build and giving me some great advice on mine.

Cheers, Dino

Leave a comment:

• exceloven
    replied

I agree with you guys, wood peels are best for loading the pie. I use short ones like Les and let the dough set for a few seconds and then move it back with my long aluminum peel

Mark

Leave a comment:

• dusty
    replied

Originally posted by Les View Post
    I made these peels from some scrap luan I had.
    You sure are a handy son-of-a-gun!

We use wood to build our pizzas on, but the handles are much longer. What if you have to slide a pizza way in there?

dusty

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

I made these peels from some scrap luan I had. I used them for the first time last night. The pizza's slid right off with no problem, way better then the metal ones I was using. Wood it the way to go.

Les...

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

Thanks Les,

I was referring to your firebrick. I can't fathom there is a refractory performance loss from using a non-factory brick surface for the inside of the dome, and the look of your bricks when cleared makes me think I'd like to do the same.

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

John - are you referring to the fire brick or the decorative brick? Either way -they are both standard.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X