New Build Wyoming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Build Wyoming

​ ​Hello, I am going to attempt to start assembling my oven in the next 4 weeks. I plan on building a 42 " Pompeii oven. I was planning on building the dome on top of the floor bricks, which will be on top of 3" Foam glass and 2 " cas board. My build is off grid so I don't have power at the site. I have been trying to cut as many bricks as I can in my garage and dry stack them. I have come to the conclusion that this strategy sounds good, but may not works so well once I start mortaring them. I am not sure at what tier I should go to less than 1/2 bricks(9X4.5X2.5). I have been looking through a lot of builds on this site and I start second guessing my plan. Should I be planning to build the dome on top of the floor brick? I am pretty sure the first tier is not attached to the floor bricks? Any advice you may have would be helpful.
    Thank you, Tig
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Foundation.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	413.1 KB
ID:	436915 Click image for larger version

Name:	Dry stack bricks.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	354.2 KB
ID:	436916 Click image for larger version

Name:	Dry stack bricks1.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	335.7 KB
ID:	436917

WOW... great view you are going to have when cooking in that oven.

I built a 42” recently... couple thoughts. You are really gonna wish you have power at the build site... even a small generator would be nice. My dome is not on the floor. Reason was to isolate the heat transfer... my floor, dome vent arch and landing do not touch each other. I like the performance but do not have experience to the contrary.

Best of luck on your build and I hope you document your progress here.
    My Oven Build
    https://community.fornobravo.com/for...mx?view=thread

Comment

Tig, you've gotten off to a great start. I laid & leveled my cooking floor first & then built my dome on top. You are correct in not mortaring the dome perimeter bricks to the cooking floor...it does need to move (slightly ) during a firing cycle. Yes, many builders set their dome perimeter just outside a circular shaped cooking floor...but many do as you. Don't second guess yourself... your design & build will work VERY well. As Modified9v noted above, (and you are thinking) being able to cut bricks onsite is going to be a huge advantage. Even just renting a generator during the last half of your build would be good. I know this will mean hauling your other equipment up to the site but if you are going to do a final push to finish & close the dome it will be worthwhile. Have you considered a solar system with battery & inverter for lighting & power tools?

Great job so far (on a fabulous site), looking forward to your continuing build.
      Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
      Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
      Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
      Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hi there and welcome!! Great site there to build on. Don't second guess your self so much, as it looks like you are doing fine. Yes, it's quite tough to precut all your bricks ahead of time as I have recently tried to do that and it didn't last long. I ended up going the generator route. I found a good used one at a pawn shop. Best of luck to you and keep us all posted w/your progress.
        My Build:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

Tig - looking great - both the build and the view!
          I have to concur with the lads above - your first few courses cut and laid dry are a great start - but once you starting mortaring - you're going to note what looked good in the shop could become a challenge at the site. You'll notice the need for bespoke cuts closer to the arch opening to "make it fit".

You're doing nothing wrong! Just want to have that flexibility as you move up!

You will be great - and looking forward to the progress!
          There is a LOT of help from amazing people on this site - keep them tuned in ... and have FUN!
          Barry
          You are welcome to visit my build HERE

Comment

Still Waiting on the weather. It just wont warm up.
            Attached Files

Comment

Tig ,

I also built a 42" dome. I changed from 1/2 bricks to 1/3rd bricks around the 6th or 7th course. The dome will let you know when you need to change. As you go higher you'll get to the point where a half-brick seems like it is just too large to properly sit on the course below.

I built my dome on top of the insulation, the floor bricks are cut to fit inside the dome, so my floor is independent of the dome. Neither way is 100% right or wrong. Just two different ways.

A generator, an inverter so you can power a 120vAC grinder off your vehicle's 12vDC system, or even a cordless angle grinder, will make life on your remote site so much more worry-free. I have a Dewalt cordless angle grinder, the 20v batteries seemingly last forever with their brushless motors. A diamond wheel on the grinder will allow you to easily and quickly adjust any tapers on site.
              Mongo

My Build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-s-42-ct-build

Comment

Thanks Mongo, I am going to keep with my plan to build on top of the floor. If this proves to be a problem I guess I can adjust to building around the floor. I did get my insulation cut and the floor cut. I wont get a chance to get back at it for a couple weeks. I am starting to worry about a weather proof enclosure and roof to keep moisture away from my cas board. We get a lot of wind, rain and might need more than a pop up roof. I do have access to a generator and power tools, its not as off grid as it sounds
                . Click image for larger version

Name:	Foamglass.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	344.5 KB
ID:	437459 Click image for larger version

Name:	Casboard.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	343.6 KB
ID:	437460 Click image for larger version

Name:	Floorbricks.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	389.9 KB