Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tintan28 View Post
    Hi Mark,

Thanks, I’m certainly trying without becoming anal about the neatness.

When you say “It’s great for cooking roasts and bread on the night following a pizza night.” Do you mean for instance, if the Friday night was pizza night you could bake bread on the Saturday night or later on on the Friday night?

The weather has been crap at nights here this week so mainly it’s stayed under polythene. I’d did make an arch template but I think it needs tweaking as the bricks are not sitting correct.

Regards,

David
    Hi David

Yes, if we, for instance, do pizzas on a Saturday night, then Sunday night is roast and bread night! This is without making any fire after making pizzas on the Saturday night. I simply stick the door in place and leave it in place until the next evening, or late afternoon. I then remove the door, rake out the remaining coals and ash, sweep the floor and it's ready for roast and bread.

Regards,
    Mark
    My 42" build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ld-new-zealand
    My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

I got the inner arch completed today after foul weather over the last week. You’ll notice that I forgot to allow to pack the former up with shims to enable easier dismantling. However I unscrewed it & took it apart when the mortar was still green & this allowed me to point it up underneath which was an unplanned bonus. It never moved a bit so I was happy with the outcome. Not sure if I’ve quite got the rear cuts correct but hopefully it’ll work out ok.
      Looking good. How many storage heaters have you used?
      My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

Congrats on your build!

I love the fact that you were able to repurpose old materials. Quite a few of my projects are from salvaged materials.
        Mongo

My Build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-s-42-ct-build

Comment

Mark,

I have used about 60 full bricks to date which is for the floor, 6 course & the arch. I have maybe another 15 bricks quartered & a few more uncut, so hopefully I’ll have enough as the last course has noticeably increased in pitch & so it’ll be corbeling in greatly from now on in so less bricks per course. I will be able to get more if needs be but as I’ve mentioned before I’d like to get it finished for my Son’s birthday in early June so don’t want to be scratching around for more. Can you recall roughly how many you used?

David

Comment

Mongo,

Many thanks.

I do like to reuse when it works & more eco conscious than many but certainly no Greta Thunberg! It’s more that I couldn’t justify spending many hundreds on an outdoor oven. It’s just a bit of a fun project for me.

David

Comment

Mark,

I have used about 60 full bricks to date which is for the floor, 6 course & the arch. I have maybe another 15 bricks quartered & a few more uncut, so hopefully I’ll have enough as the last course has noticeably increased in pitch & so it’ll be corbeling in greatly from now on in so less bricks per course. I will be able to get more if needs be but as I’ve mentioned before I’d like to get it finished for my Son’s birthday in early June so don’t want to be scratching around for more. Can you recall roughly how many you used?

David
              If I remember correctly, it was about 11 or 12 heaters. (For the walls) Some were larger and had 16 bricks per heater while others were smaller and had only 12. My floor bricks mostly came from one large different design heater, except for a few bricks which came from another odd sized heater. I collected night store heaters for probably the last 10 years! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by MarkJerling View Post

If I remember correctly, it was about 11 or 12 heaters. (For the walls) Some were larger and had 16 bricks per heater while others were smaller and had only 12. My floor bricks mostly came from one large different design heater, except for a few bricks which came from another odd sized heater. I collected night store heaters for probably the last 10 years! LOL
                Mark,

I should have have been more specific, approximately how many actual full heater bricks did you use?

David

Comment

First course over the arch started before it pissed down.

The arch is solid no & the profiled cuts seem to be fine so happy with that.

Do people tend to build one full course a day as it gets steeper?

Thanks in advance.

David

Comment

Mark,

I should have have been more specific, approximately how many actual full heater bricks did you use?

David
                    David, I can't remember. I'll have to do a count. From memory, I think it was around 150 and mine's a 42" oven.
                    Regards,
                    Mark

Comment

David - looking good! I too am building at the moment, a little smaller than yours (34 inch dome), I will be watching with interest how you get on, good luck!
                      Jay

Comment

Hi Jay,

Thanks & likewise, yours looks good too.

Where about in Kranky’s Kingdom are you?

Are you enjoying the challenge?

​​​​​​​David

Comment

Mark,

David
                          Right, better answer from me this time!
                          Two large night store heaters were of a different design to the others and they had very large bricks - 395x266x45mm. I used those big ones for the floor.
                          For the walls I used the same bricks as yours. 160 half bricks for the dome, 40 for the door arch (total from wholes and halves), so roughly 120 of the dark red bricks, for a 42" oven.

Hope that helps!

Kind regards,
                          Mark

Comment

Hi Jay,

Where about in Kranky’s Kingdom are you?

Are you enjoying the challenge?

​​​​​​​David
                            I'm based in the Highlands - Grantown on Spey to be precise. Very much enjoying the build, although looking forward to some warmer weather! I do seem to spend as much time pondering and thinking as I do actually building the darn thing, but I guess that's an essential part of the process for a beginner (and probably one time only) builder.

Comment

Originally posted by jjnevis View Post

I'm based in the Highlands - Grantown on Spey to be precise. Very much enjoying the build, although looking forward to some warmer weather! I do seem to spend as much time pondering and thinking as I do actually building the darn thing, but I guess that's an essential part of the process for a beginner (and probably one time only) builder.
                              Nice part of the world I’d imagine. I’ve had it on my ‘to-do’ list & pondering for a while too, so just enjoying cracking on now, when the weather permits that is & trying not to make any in-rectifiable errors.

Comment

Slow going now as just building one course a day due to the steep pitch. It’s now piquing the interest of neighbours & passers by as it takes shape.

Comment

Working...
                                X