36" Oven Build - Texas. Need Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 36" Oven Build - Texas. Need Help

Hey Everyone, just recently start piecing together my oven and I already thing Ive made a mistake. I went through and mortared in place the lower level bricks around the herringbone (just mortared the sides) and then I went and add the first layer of bricks on top of these.. However I mortared the sides AND the bottom. I quickly noticed when I look at similar build that no one has mortared the bottom of the first row. I feel like an idiot.

Can anyone explain if this is a major issue? Do I need to rip everything out and start over? If it okay to stay in place? I have a picture below for reference (showing that mortared bottom of base layer and first row). Thank you
    Attached Files

The premis to not mortar the first layer of the dome to the floor is to have some expansion and contraction at this joint since there will be different rates of movement. By your description, you left an expansion gap between floor and first row. IHMO, the expansion gap will take care of the floor vs dome expansion and contraction. I would just move on, these ovens are pretty forgiving. just take care to not let mortar drop in and fill the gap (duct or blue tape it while you build. There have been some reports of gaps filled up and with not room to expand, causing dome cracking.

PS, you should start a build thread so all your posts, updates, etc are in one spot this helps other builders and well as giving feedback.
    Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 08-24-2021, 08:25 AM.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thank you for the feedback. Just to make sure here -- I left no mortar between CaSi and Brick, but between that brick in the 1st row, I did mortar. In your opinion, would I be ok leaving that? Or should I take that row off and reapply the 1st row without mortar between bricks?

Thats a good Idea, Ill start a thread. Thank you very much for your help.
      Attached Files

Comment

I am just now realizing that you said to move on. I will move on and just hope it doesn't crack later on. Appreciate your help

Comment

As Russell noted, when fired up there is expansion of the bricks as they heat and contraction back to "normal" as they cool. You are not the only one to have mortared the first chain to the cooking floor bricks. During the curing process, your oven's structure will basically expand/contract in a pretty predictable way. I expect that those mortar joints will break in some places but it will cause no problems (and I doubt if it will be even noticeable). The dome geometry is extremely stable and forgiving (once completed) as Russell also noted. Relax, your build looks like it's on track and in good shape to give you years of pizza nirvana.

Also, be aware that cracks along mortar joints (especially if they are lined up) are normal and DO NOT affect the dome's stability or efficiency. So make sure to stagger those joints on each chain so to minimize alignments (and potential cracking). That means you will be most likely be placing some "half" in each brick chain to keep from putting joints directly above or below other adjacent mortar seams. Again, it looks like you've got a great start going here...so relax!
          Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
          Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
          Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
          Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

McGooster

Agree with the others. Move on. You'll find there are myriad ways these ovens can be constructed, there seems to be the potential for divergent paths each step of the way. You're already way ahead of most simply because you started! And your works looks good. Enjoy and embrace the design process AND the build.
            Best, Mongo
            Mongo

My Build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-s-42-ct-build

Comment

Thanks everyone! Really appreciate the insight and calming my nerves to continue forward ha

Comment

Lookin' good!!
                My Build:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

Working...
                X