Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joseph's 36" corner build in Cape Town

Hey guys,

Like so many before me I've read and learnt from this forum for years before (finally) starting my own build. To all of the contributors who have shared their time and knowledge so generously, without which I would never have been able to build my oven, thank you.

I'm starting this thread now that the oven is almost complete, but I'm going to share the experience from the beginning.

Me and the family moved to a small holding (7Ha) a bit outside of Cape Town, South Africa. The pizza oven is part of a bigger project of building a house and working the property. The oven is built as part of an outdoor entertainment area which is also an ongoing project.

I hope you guys enjoy reading about my pizza oven as much as I enjoyed building it!

Joseph

Comment

I decided to build a 36 inch corner oven as part of an outdoor patio / kitchen space. I remember years back (and I mean years) seeing a beautiful outdoor kitchen posted somewhere on the forum which inspired the general feel of our patio space.

The idea was to build something that would be roofed (it gets really hot here in summer) but open air above the countertops.

As you can see from the pics below the patio area is connected with a big outdoor open air fire pit.

The pizza oven is set in the corner of the patio.

Comment

Comment

Looks like a pretty spot Joseph. Looking forward to your photos.

Best, Mongo
          Mongo

My Build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-s-42-ct-build

Comment

Thanks Mongo.

I did a pretty standard base for the pizza stand, a good layer of gravel, tons of old rebar mesh I had lying around, and then concrete.

I was happy with the end result, I'm pretty sure it'll still be standing long after I'm gone.

Comment

Comment

Nice work Joseph! Where near Cape Town?
                My 42" build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ld-new-zealand
                My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

Thanks Mark, we're up the West Coast in an area called Cape Farms.

Comment

I must confess that my build was done on a somehwat more informal basis when compared to the meticulous planning that I've seen go into some of the incredible builds on the forum.

I guess I took a more artistic approach to the process of construction, working through problems as they arose. Anyway, this is a build for those less technical folk (like me) with limited\no real experience.

First up, the stand:

I used concrete block, mortared in place, and then custom cut some angle iron to support the top course of blocks across the opening.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by JosephW View Post
                        Thanks Mark, we're up the West Coast in an area called Cape Farms.
                        Thanks for your reply Joseph. I thought those hills in your photos look familiar! We lived in Blouberg 20 years ago. Small world. LOL
                        My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

You've got a good eye, the hills in the photos are the Klein Dassenberg.

Comment

Well, I'm not dead yet. Don't know about the good eye, LOL.
                            Great to see your project taking shape.

Comment

Instead of casting a slab for the base I used precast concrete lintels and cut them to fit the profile of the stand. It was quick, easy and the result turned out great.

Comment

Working...
                              X