Amount of fireclay for a 42" oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amount of fireclay for a 42" oven

Does anyone have a rough idea of how much fireclay they used in their homebrew to build a 42" oven?

I bought one 50lb bag. Did not use the whole bag.
    The sides of my brick were tapered so my mortar joints were somewhat tight, meaning less mortar required.
    Last edited by mongota; 10-08-2021, 04:49 AM.
    Mongo

My Build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-s-42-ct-build

Comment

Thanks. The closest clay I've found is a 2 hour drive away so I want to make sure I get enough.

Comment

I used a bag and a half (50#) on a 42". It is relatively cheap so with a two hour drive I would add contingency.
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I used about 3/4th of a 50 lb. bag in my 32" cast oven. Is yours going to be cast or brick?
          My 32" homebrew cast oven by the sea

Comment

It's going to be brick. The fire clay is sold in 10, 50 or 200lbs so it sound like a 50 and a couple spare 10's should be enough.

Comment

Dry powdered fire clay or wet sculpting clay? The 10 and 200 lb. weights sound a little “off” to me.
              Last edited by Gulf; 10-09-2021, 05:27 PM.
              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

When I called the pottery place, I only asked if they sold fire clay and what the price was. I'll have to call them back when they're open to get some additional details.

Comment

Be careful because to a potter fire clay is a different product to that of a mason. For masonry fire clay is the cheapest clay available to make mortar more workable. To s potter fire clay is a clay that will withstand extremely high temperatures (1260+ C) Do not get clay in a plastic state, it must be powdered. Probably better to ask the potter for Ball Clay.
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I called back about the clay. It's "Lincoln fire clay" in powdered form. I must have misunderstood the sizing when I originally called, 10lbs is the minimum, 50lbs is cheaper per lb and anything over 200lbs is a bigger discount. I've tried a few different brick yards/masonry suppliers and can't find clay. Does this sound like the fire clay that will work in the homebrew?

Comment

IMHO is what you need, it should be Lincoln 60, it is similar to ball clay, adds plasticity with min shrinkage.

Click image for larger version

Name:	lin.JPG
Views:	387
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	442277
                      Russell
                      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Working...
                      X