No announcement yet.

42” Pompeii oven and Argentine bbq on California Central Coast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No they are about 2.25-50" thick. I attached a pic, not the best but all I have.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	57B Vent Arch Complete 8.15.12.JPG
Views:	356
Size:	545.0 KB
ID:	449960 Click image for larger version

Name:	61B Chimney View Top  8.25.12.JPG
Views:	379
Size:	556.1 KB
ID:	449959
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

UtahBeehiver and Mr. Slowhand Thanks you have given me some fresh ideas on how I will approach the gallery arch and vent.

Comment

Name:	A3CA3A54-69CE-4119-B6D9-1B0FB007C2DA.jpeg
Views:	336
Size:	452.9 KB
ID:	450199 Dome complete. Finally!
        What do you all recommend to clean up the concrete scum on the bricks? I would have normally used diluted muratic acid. But I have heard that with refractory bricks that is a mistake.

Comment

Scraper and wire brush. Much easier to clean as you go with a damp sponge before it's fully cured.

Comment

Name:	00BEB98C-581C-4D7B-AC52-27C79E7E7968.jpeg
Views:	319
Size:	361.4 KB
ID:	450333 Ready to work on the outer arch and flue.

Comment

Looking very pretty Michele!
              My 42" build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ld-new-zealand
              My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

Follow up on the outer arch connection I was asking about. I ended up up making the gallery a brick and a half deep. The inner brick is spaced from the inner arch so I added a gusset arch to stabilize. Then I overlapped the inner arch for the chimney bricks so I could center the 8” flue. Almost done. What a challenging project
                . Click image for larger version

Name:	AC655E02-9376-4A3D-A86B-A58F548860EF.jpeg
Views:	270
Size:	379.1 KB
ID:	450497 Click image for larger version

Name:	F24E0A78-AA39-4F53-BC6B-B05FE5D7CF6B.jpeg
Views:	272
Size:	456.7 KB
ID:	450495 Click image for larger version

Name:	1C8AFC8E-5A45-457D-8516-90923E761D31.jpeg
Views:	312
Size:	397.0 KB
ID:	450494 Click image for larger version

Name:	99B965C4-4952-477A-BDCB-EA6B5A94799B.jpeg
Views:	265
Size:	413.3 KB
ID:	450496

Comment

Looks great Michele!, the gusset may even help keep any smoke from going out the front arch!
                  if it's worth doing, it's worth doing to the best of your ability!
                  Sixto - Minneapolis

Comment

Name:	55FE5A14-B653-4EEF-8AD1-E67E0BB8AA4A.jpeg
Views:	240
Size:	369.8 KB
ID:	450832 Click image for larger version

Name:	2E4CEE33-2721-456A-B9A4-1BAD13D03615.jpeg
Views:	251
Size:	468.6 KB
ID:	450831 Well friends there you have it. 42” Pompeii oven and Argentine BBQ. I can’t wait to fire it up. I will eventually add some architectural finishes, But first some thanks are in order. First to the people at Forno Bravo who so graciously host this forum. Enabling our communications has been essential to the process. Second to all the senior builders whose patience to repeat the answers to the same questions over and over again to each new builder. And to do so with so much sincere support saved me from more than one mistake. And third to the Forno Bravo fraternity for sharing there struggles, successes and creativity. This continues to be a labor of love that has been a pleasure to experience with you. In my family we have a salute to friends “Cent’anni” a hundred years to you and your ovens. Michele

P.S. I am not going anywhere I just wanted to express my gratitude.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I would like to suggest that you insulate the dome "before" you start the cure. This minimized thermal differential between the inside and outside of the dome which will reduce cracking potential. The first few fire you can use charcoal briquettes which gets you about 200F with minimal flame and you can cook a dutch oven while you're at it. Great job PS I really like the Parilla, a main stay in outdoor kitchens in BA.
                      Russell
                      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Name:	A28BC39C-7C25-42F5-86B1-2952E11EBDAB.jpeg
Views:	258
Size:	407.2 KB
ID:	450909 First fire. After curing what is the optimal temp for baking pizza?

Comment

Insulate your oven before any more fires, or you risk cracks from thermal shock. Particularly once the ambient temperatures are dropping. The internal temperature for pizza should be obtained around 20 mins of firing once all the black inside the dome has burnt away.

You have more weight on the un-butressed large radius arch than is comfortable IMHO, especially as thermal expansion/contraction cycling challenge structural integrity, but we do what we can get away with.
                          Last edited by david s; 11-20-2022, 02:02 PM.
                          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Michele Enrico View Post
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	A28BC39C-7C25-42F5-86B1-2952E11EBDAB.jpeg Views:	34 Size:	407.2 KB ID:	450909 First fire. After curing what is the optimal temp for baking pizza?
                            What I've found using my IR gun is that the floor needs to be 650f or hotter in order to cook the dough well... I tried doing it when the dome was cleared, but the floor was under 600F and learned a big lesson with the center portion of the pizza not cooking thoroughly. My top of dome temps get to be over 1000f in the process. Don't rush it, though... the bricks have to soak in the heat evenly for good cooking performance. It takes me one hour to get to temp, and I have to be watching and feeding the fire pretty much constantly, can't just set it and forget it, or it cools down.

BTW, your oven looks beautiful inside and out, but I completely agree with David about insulating before building temp further inside that beautiful dome!
                            Last edited by Sixto; 11-22-2022, 01:40 PM.
                            if it's worth doing, it's worth doing to the best of your ability!
                            Sixto - Minneapolis

Comment

Thanks guys. I have ordered 3" of blanket insulation from Forno Bravo and will secure that with wire and build a hut around that to waterproof the dome.
                              Michele

Comment

Working...
                              X