First time 42" oven build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time 42" oven build

What size of vermiculite should I use for my mix under the oven floor and what kind sand ?

Also , what would be the lowest outside temperature that I could still mortar bricks in the dome ?

Comment

I moved your thread over to Pompeii Oven Construction Section - this area gets the most traffic.

I would hesitant to do any masonry work where temps drop below 40 F. Are you asking about sand for the mortar since you seem to be talking about vcrete under the floor (no sand in this vcrete).
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks , yes I was asking about the sand for the mortar for the dome and the size of vermiculite for the insulating layer under the floor

Comment

I used a mix of Perlite, medium to coarse from two different sources, and that worked well. The mortar sand I used is called “mason’s sand” at our local builders supply store and is also a mix of fine to medium 1,5mm largest particle. I sieved it using a window screen to get the largest particles out. I also collected, died, and sieved the slurry from cutting the bricks and added that to the sand, about 1/3 slurry, and 2/3 sand,
          if it's worth doing, it's worth doing to the best of your ability!
          Sixto - Minneapolis

Comment

Just getting my template ready for the oven floor. Cant seem to get my head wrapped around where to start the opening bricks. Should they start where the radius of the oven and the width of the opening intersect ? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4583.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	450409

Comment

The inside of the inner arch bricks need to intersect the ID of the dome.

Click image for larger version

Name:	32  Inner Arch 6.15.12.JPG
Views:	395
Size:	635.9 KB
ID:	450417 Click image for larger version

Name:	32B Inner Arch 6.15.12.JPG
Views:	381
Size:	582.5 KB
ID:	450418
              Russell

Comment

Thank you , thats what I was wanting to know.

Comment

What are the dimensions of your vent in the arch opening UtahBeehiver ?

Comment

You should shoot for 65% ratio (inner arch height to dome height) for a high vault. Look at the FB eplans, it depends on the type and size of oven. A lot of basic questions are answered in the plans.
                    Russell

Comment

What I meant was the size of the opening going up to the chimney pipe> 5"x12" ?

Comment

I can't recall but guessing from my build pics it is about 12x6. But you need to make the opening at "least" the same square inches and as ID of the chimney vent, a 42" needs an eight ID vent.
                        Russell

Comment

also , whats a good measurement from the inner arch of the oven to the front of the pizza oven structure to be a comfortable distance for working the oven ? like .... where I stand when I'm using the oven to the inside of the dome

Comment

I can't answer than, everyone is different and have different needs. Suggest you do a search and look what others have done.
                            Russell

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4597.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	450464 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4597.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	450465 Trying to figure out where on my slab to place my form for vermiculite insulation concrete. What would be a good place to put it in relation to the front of the slab for a good to work the oven distance.The problem is I dont know where my front arch will end. Is there a general measurement from the center of the oven to the front arch ? It is a 42" oven. I am kind of guessing with the form where the front will be. Should it be right at the front of the slab ?

Comment

Working...
                              X