Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80 cm Pompeii oven in the Netherlands

Hi all,

Found this forum some time ago and absorbed a lot of info. I’m in the progress of building a Pompeii oven and wanted to contribute with some pictures of the build. Not sure if I still have questions because already so much is written and explained very well.
    the oven will be 80 cm cooking surface. I’m waiting now for some CaSi board so I can isolate the bottom floor with 10cm (4.5”).
    I’m thinking of putting the firebrick on the side so the bottom will be also 10cm thick instead of 5cm.
    because pictures say more then words.

Placing the floor bricks on the side will give you more thermal mass, this is really only necessary for "Lots" of baking. For most users, floor bricks laying flat (IE 2.5-2.75") with the amount of CaSi board you are installing is good for pizzas, baking, and roasting. More thermal mass on floor requires more fuel to saturate brick.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

So my question would be how much more fuel and how much extra time for baking (bread) would you get.
      My guess would be around 1/6 more thermal mass so 1/6 more fuel and 1/6 more baking time? But maybe that would be to simple.

Comment

Via dome calculator sheet I found 10% more thermal mass if turned on small side. This will also mean 10% more fuel and 10% more time for baking.

Comment

CaSi board arrived. So started with the build.

Comment

No oven is completely water proof so water will find its way in. The use of aluminum foil, while the idea is to keep water away from the CaSi board will also keep water that gets in from getting out. Wet insulation in the floor is one of the most common reasons of poor oven performance It is also one of the hardest to remove. IMHO, skip the foil.
            Russell
            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
              No oven is completely water proof so water will find its way in. The use of aluminum foil, while the idea is to keep water away from the CaSi board will also keep water that gets in from getting out. Wet insulation in the floor is one of the most common reasons of poor oven performance It is also one of the hardest to remove. IMHO, skip the foil.
              I was planning to remove the sides anyhow. Do you think the layer below the bricks need to be removed as well? Below the CaSi board I have 4 weep holes to collect water and drain.
              well today flattened the floor so everything level now. Removed the aluminium foil. And made a IT (indespensible tool I think it is called). Next step is cutting the floor in a round shape and starting to cut the outer edge.
              Last edited by Bartolomus; 06-01-2023, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Comment

Today I prepared the first three layers. I’m using a tile saw which has the advantage the blade can turn in an angle. Disadvantage is the cutting height. Every row I check the angle off the brick and adjust the wood bar on the cutting table. It required some time to figure it out but when you get it…

Comment

Progress. Not perfect but good enough for me.

Comment

Arch done. Now closing the dome.

Comment

Almost closed the dome.

Comment

Dome complete. Now started with the landing then chimney and further brickwork. After drying (8 days) insulate and first fire.

Comment

Prepared the landing. To keep it in place it is attached with some steel bar. Which will be poured in concrete so it will stay at its place. On top of the landing the chimney will rest as well so I’m not scared it will move later.

Comment

Interesting construction! Looking good!
                              My 42" build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ld-new-zealand
                              My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

Working...
                              X