No announcement yet.

80 cm Pompeii oven in the Netherlands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finished the first arch from the chimney. And put on two layers of super wool insulation.
    because I will put the dome in a square box it will be filled with “normal” glass wool. So the on top of the dome a lot of insulation.
    there will be a roof over the dome itself and the oven will be under a flat roof completely so rain will not reach the oven itself.
    Attached Files

Comment

Almost done. In two days the chimney will be connected first some concrete drying time.
      I will start firing up around Thursday. First some low temperature heating and then slowly building up the fire over several days.

Comment

I let the oven dry today. So we put in the floor tile. It’s starting to come together but still a lot to do.

Comment

The door still needs some work because the fit is to tight (It does not go all the way in).
          the gas burner is only for the first two days with a maximum of 60 degree in the dome.
          in the end the dome went to 63 degree Celsius and after placing the door and 10 hours later it was still 43 degree Celsius. We will see how it will hold higher temperatures.

Comment

If the door is made from aluminum, this metal has one of the highest K value (heat transmission value 237, carbon steel 50ish, Copper 400ish, SS 14ish) meaning the door will transmit heat away from the oven easily even if insulated. Also, aluminum will expand more than the brick so if there is really close tolerance you run the risk of getting the door stuck and possibly damaging the inner arch in a hot oven.
            Russell
            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

The door is made from steel. What other material can I use? I thought wood would not be the smartest thing? But maybe I’m wrong.

Comment

Depends of how you are going to use the door. I posted K values of materials. Look/Search "door thread" on the blog for various types. Carbon steel is much better than AL but not as good as SS.
                Russell
                Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

SS would be nice. Maybe if I have the correct fit with the steel door I can order some SS laser cut.
                  I mainly use the door for bread baking or using heat retention after a day.

Comment

A highly conductive material is not suitable for an oven door in my opinion.
                    thermal conductivity of Al: 237 Stainless:14 Fire brick: 0.5 wood: 0.17 That means for instance, that aluminium is 1605 times more conductive than wood.
                    Wood doors are the traditional choice for Italian ovens, but can’t be used for pizza temperatures. An insulating panel attached to a timber facing is my choice, with a small gap between the two to reduce heat transfer and attached with smal diameter stainless bolts, but also can’t be used for temperatures over 300C ( who roasts at temperatures exceeding that anyway?)

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/t...als-d_858.html
                    Last edited by david s; 06-23-2023, 08:24 PM.
                    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Well oven temperature was yesterday 130 degree Celsius at the top and 100 at coldest spot. 12 hours later with door as is closed the top dropped to 100 and coldest spot was 85. Not too bad I think.

Comment

First fire after the two gas runs. Temperature went to 300 to 375 degree Celsius in the top.
                        next will be 400.

Comment

Well after the initial wood fires which slowly build up to maximum after 4 days. I can say it works very well.
                          last weekend party with 30 pizza’s which where no problem at all. Today baked bread for the first time with other things as well from the retained heat. I could fill the oven two times and learned I could do 4 fillings.
                          each filling would be around 8 breads of each 800 gram.

Comment

Working...
                          X