Steel Stand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steel Stand?

I’m in the early planning stages of my first build and am considering doing it on a steel stand vs a conventional masonry stand. I can’t see any reason why it can’t be done. If anything I think it would eliminate a lot of the moisture issues associated with wicking up into the floor insulation. Anything I’m missing? Anything to consider?

Water doesn’t wick through steel, but the combination of moisture and heat does accelerate corrosion. If building a steel stand it’s best to use galvanized. A steel stand is considerably more expensive than masonry.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Indeed, our hosts Forno Bravo sell a steel stand kit under the Cucina brand (https://www.fornobravo.com/product-s...a-oven-stands/). So clearly it can be done. As David says, considerably more expensive than a block stand, at over $1,000 for the smallest model; a DIY version might be somewhat cheaper if you know what you're doing, but heavy duty steel isn't going to be as cheap as concrete blocks no matter what you do.

FWIW, I seriously considered shelling out for a Cucina stand on my second oven, not because moisture issues (which are easy enough to deal with) than about trading money for time (and cutting to the more fun parts of the build faster).
      My build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/3...-dc-18213.html

Comment

Definitely more yes. Or it could be just a steel base. No concrete. Just a square or ring with a flat top. Reinforced underneath with I beams or box beams. Powder coated or stainless to avoid rust.

Comment

At the cost of steel and engineering, it's not a cost effective option. I've just had a splash-back made, 316 stainless, L-shaped, 4 foot long in one direction, 2 in the other, 8" high with a nicely folded top and boxed in sides and it was $461. I'd hate to think what an oven stand would cost.
          My 42" build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ld-new-zealand
          My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

The fabricator is a good friend of mine. I’m not overly concerned about the cost. But from an engineering perspective I think it can be done. I actually got the idea from a member on this forum. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3613.jpeg
Views:	110
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	456634

Comment

David, Agreed rust is always the enemy. I would be using either 304 stainless or have the stand powder coated.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeD55 View Post
                I’m in the early planning stages of my first build and am considering doing it on a steel stand vs a conventional masonry stand. I can’t see any reason why it can’t be done. If anything I think it would eliminate a lot of the moisture issues associated with wicking up into the floor insulation. Anything I’m missing? Anything to consider?
                Mike, I am not sure that having an alternative to concrete under your oven will help with wicking issues, as I believe most of the mitigation measures (weep holes, tiles to raise insulation) are to deal with water ingression along the periphery of the oven. If you don't have an adequate roof over the oven or a waterproof enclosure (that you can keep waterproof over the years), water can find it's way under the insulation and soak it. My insulation sits on the hearth and did get soaked during my build before the roof and side walls went up. Once dried out I have never had a moisture problem.
                My build thread
                https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

JR. Thats exactly why I want to go with steel. My thought was to make the stand (or base if you will) rise up above whatever the oven is placed on so as not allow water a chance to enter from the sides. So of how Forno bravo does their ovens. Like wise the cladding on the side would have a drip edge.

Comment

Working...
                  X