Aussie Mobile base oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aussie Mobile base oven

Hi all have gathered up enough steel and made my mobile base for my oven.
    ive decided on 800mm diameter igloo,going the cheapskate way using aussie pressed reds(bricks)following Russell Jeavons Book.
    Will be using 100mm vermecrete slab topped with 50mm thick fire bricks.
    i will post some picks when i take some.

Cheers Peter

Re: Aussie Mobile base oven

Hi i have put a photo of the stand in the photo section.

Peter

Comment

Hi Peter! Looks great. My only concern is the stress on those wheels. Are they rated to take a thousand kilos? Also, the small diameter of the wheels might make it tricky to maneuver over bumps or cracks in the driveway or garage.

Remember, this oven is going to weigh over a half ton.

Good luck with your build... Can't wait to see more progress!

(In case others missed it, I copied your photo below)
      Ken H. - Kentucky
      42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
      Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

I would suggest heavy cast iron casters like these:

MSC Item Detail

Light stamped wheels, particularly swivel mount ones, could collapse, with the potential for disaster. If surface protection is a consideration, you can get plastic covered wheels, but they still should be heavy cast wheels.

You might also consider some diagonal bracing for your stand.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Since you are going the "cheapskate way" I assume you are not above scrounging and recycling. Here in the US one can find very very strong swiveling casters with zerk fitting and needle bearing rollers rated for lots of weight if one knows where to look. If you have a postal distribution center (main post ofice where mail is collected and trans-shipped.... most big cities have them). There they use "trains" of large bins on casters to move the mail. The cars are quite big and can hold many thousands of pounds of mail. The casters they use are as I describe, that's where I found "used" ones for $10.00 US each. One would assume in AU they use a similar system. I have had a 2000 lb plus Intertype machine on a set for moving and they work wonderfully.

Here's a photo of one such caster on a paper storage unit. The tyres are urathane and sunk into the standing cushion in this photo. Casters are 5" in diameter. So they are out there, if you have the time to scrounge.

Wiley

Comment

For those in the US and Canada I thought it might be worthwhile to post a link to a useful site for those of us who are not above scrounging and recycling.

I understand such sites exist in other countries as well so a search on Google might prove useful.

Here's the link:
            IMEX: Materials Exchanges

Wiley

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys,the wheels are rated at 180kg approx each they just look small in the photos (wheels 5"dia) we have them at work bolted to large sand conveyors without any problems.I am cosidering fitting some more if i can get them for better load distribution.And yes i have enough tube left to add a extra brace may look into it tommorow after work as was raining in Melbourne tonight.Cheers Peter

Comment

G"day lads i have checked the wheels they are 6" not 5 as i thought,i have braced 3 sides leaving the front open for wood storage,added 4 more wheels,
                also added a brace under the centre.it has more steel in it than my 500kg metal lathe stand.If i find the rubber no good you can get the above mentioned wheels at a good price,even the solid plastic 6" hold 300kg each!
                damn good plastic i think.will upload a pick when i can.cheers have have a good weekend building or having pizza and beer.

Comment

Sounds like your stand is good to go! Keep the pictures coming!
                  Ken H. - Kentucky
                  42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                  Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

G'day all myself the wife and a mate burnt the midnight oil yesterday and got the vermicrete slab layed up 4",i took a while mixing it in a large plastic crate.
                    i mixed it dry then added water worked a treat.how long should i let it cure before starting to lay up my bricks?its winter here and only 13c would a couple weeks be fine? here are the picks enjoy Peter
                    PhotoPlog - Hearth and Stand

Last edited by toyota08; 08-17-2008, 12:50 AM.

Comment

Hi all laid the first course today looks ok will lay up arch next week.
                      here are the picks.

Comment

G"day all have layed up the fifth course all going well
                        cheers Peter.

Comment

Looking good! I like how you did the archway - where did you find the piece of metal, or did you make it?
                          "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

G"day frances i rolled the archway with a set of metal rolls i made when i used to make steel gates.if you like i can post a photo of it.
                            Cheers peter

Comment

Originally posted by toyota08 View Post
                              if you like i can post a photo of it.
                              This is rhetorical, right?

Comment

Working...
                              X