X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bbell
    replied
    Re: Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts

Hi Dino, sorry for the delayed response. I just caught your question (pre-pond!)

As is usually the case, I got the design idea from others in the form. You might take a look at this thread:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/oven-door-6581.html

and look at the posting from jcg31 (4-18-09). I actually bought the insulated tape from him as he had and probably still has quite a bit of excess. I sandwiched some of the leftover pieces of ceramic board between two sheets of stainless steel and wrapped the edges with the tape. I used hi-heat sealant often used with furnace gaskets, etc.There's a bit of a taper so it really does snug into the opening. I also made sure the wood never rests on any of the brick or it would torch. It certainly hold heat. Usually at around 550 the morning after baking pizza. 375 - 400 the following.

Let me know if you have questions and great work on your oven.

I'll attach a picture

Leave a comment:

• gdest
    replied

Ok I need more advise here. Going to work on my second course this weekend. I will be cutting the brick(s) at least in half at an angle as measued with the indespensable tool. Now here is the question.
    My shoulder course has the angle cut on the top so that the next course brick should be able to sit flat on the face. If I do that then I would have to cut the top of my brick to the correct angle for the 2nd chain. If I don't cut it I will have to shim up the brick to get the correct angle.
    If I cut then I will be getting tighter joints and use less mortar. Is it worth the effort?

Leave a comment:

• DrakeRemoray
    replied

Dino, for 800 gallons, you can get away without a bottom drain. I think you could stick and extra pump down in there a few times a year, but once the lilys are in full pad and bloom it is a little challenging. We just finished our yearly cleanout, and it was not that bad. We sure love the pond and we also have about 25 feet of stream.
    Drake

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

Thanks John, I appreciate the compliment. I think the last 2 final details will make really nice.

I've bought my grout bag and I'm going to fill the joints flush but if I under or over do a tiny bit, I'll leave it. it should soften the whole look. I'm still toying with the eave color, though, bought some "umber" to mix in and see what'll happen.

I'm so ready to drip red wine and melted pizza cheese on that concrete counter! I can barely stand it . Thanks again John, Cheers, Dino

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

Wow, Dino! Your attention to detail really came through in the finish of your oven! Excellent job!

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

Thanks ckdickerson, you've actually brought my thread BACK ON SUBJECT .

Please go ahead and copy any part of the design. My vent works particularly well so I can recommend it to anyone.

Happy oven building, Dino

Leave a comment:

• ckdickerson
    replied

Dino, I know this is off subject but I just had to comment on your vent. Amazing work!! I've been looking at different designs and I think I might use yours if you don't mind.

Leave a comment:

• DaveW
    replied

Originally posted by Dino_Pizza View Post
    I would think a solids handling pump would work Dave. If not, youu can borrow my shop-vac. Use your own toes though .
    Thanks Dino,
    I wouldn't want to set a bad example by wadding through the pond in front of Espresso the killer water dog. I did however set up a few places to sit and put toes in the water while enjoying a glass of wine. Although our pond is not complete we have been enjoying the sound of the falls...that is until the bull frogs discovered it. Holy cow! Don't those Frogs ever sleep???!!!

Dave

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

Thanks Tom and Tscarborough. I am proud of the wfo and couldn't/wouldn't have done it with this forum.

My pond is 100 gallons now and I'd like to go about 800. I've got a flat yard too so I don't want a large falls that seems to rise out of nowhere. I think landscaping it with local natives and making it look natural will be half the fun.

I like your river too Tscarborough. Maybe I should concentrate on that over a large falls. Drake: your pond is beautiful. But really, what do you think about leaving out a bottom drain? . I spend 1 day a year barefoot in underwear, feeling for muck with my toes, pointing the wet vaccum down there while Mike turns the big shop-vac on and off to clean the bottom of it. I think a bottom drain is an excellent idea!

I would think a solids handling pump would work Dave. If not, youu can borrow my shop-vac. Use your own toes though .

Leave a comment:

• DaveW
    replied

Looks like we have hijacked Dino's pizza thread.
    I am putting in our first pond (around 1000 gal) and do not have a bottom drain. Couldn't I just toss in a solids handling pump to drain from the bottom now and then? We are planning goldfish rather than Koi so our biggest hurdle will be keeping the Labrador Retriever out of the pond.

Dave

Leave a comment:

• trockyh
    replied

Love it Dino! I'd put yours in the top 3 of all the ovens I've seen on the forum! You should be very proud.

Cheers,
    Tom

Leave a comment:

• lwood
    replied

Ours was an Aquascape also, definitely a bottom drain.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Very nice build Dino, and very nice Water Gardens. I am a pond builder, and seriously miss having one in my flat yard. I was on tours at my last house, a 2 pond system with a tiny river between them. I have a water feature in mind, just need to finish what is started. Old pics:

Leave a comment:

• Mitchamus
    replied

Drake - do you put the Koi waste on your veggie garden?

if not - you should!
    my father uses his bottom drain () to flood irrigate his veggie garden when cleaning...

Leave a comment:

• DrakeRemoray
    replied

We have a 1500 gallon water garden with koi and have been on (and in) the "Parade of Ponds" in Denver several times. It is a great way to get ideas, but here it is usually in the late summer. Ours is the Aquascape method with rocks in the pond, a bio-falls and a skimmer. One of the big arguments against this method (almost a brand of ponds really) is the lack of a "bottom drain". A bottom drain allows you to change some of the pond water (and clean out the koi waste) occasionally. This weekend is "pond clean out weekend"...<sarcasm>very exciting</sarcasm>. A day of heavy labor and nasty muck, and a beautiful pond, plants and koi the rest of the year. But if we had a bottom drain, we would not need to deal with that at all...

Did I mention you should add a bottom drain?

Drake

Leave a comment:

Working...
X