• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCChris
    replied
    Re: Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts

Dino,
    Where did you have your copper flue jacket / flashing fabricated? It might be a bit of a drive, but I'd like to have the option.

Thanks

Chris

Leave a comment:

• Fish Wheels
    replied

Two thumbs up from me... do fish have thumbs?
    Seriously looks great!

Rod

Leave a comment:

• SCChris
    replied

Beautifully done!!!

Chris

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

Mike, I'm going to be sad too when the oven's done. But, actually, I'm really quite happy to have finished the roof . I can't wait to see your rustic red slate roof Mike, it should look great with that awesome counter you made.

Everybody, thanks so much for you generous compliments and support. I put my copper flashing on top of my final slate row (insurance to make up for my sloppy workmanship) then just glued and siliconed the ridge pieces on top. No fancy ridge-lap, overlap. It'll keep the rain out and it looks OK. It was 99 deg yesterday and the slate and copper was HOT. Here are the finished roof pics. I'm really happy with how it looks. I just find myself staring at it all the time. I never thought I'd have something this cool in my back yard. I guess it's time to start thinking counter top and facade.
    Again, thanks for the nice comments! -Dino

Leave a comment:

• jmhepworth
    replied

Dino, you have made me re-think what to put on my roof.

Joe

Leave a comment:

• timo
    replied

Dino, you took the slate roof "over the top". Outstanding job!

Leave a comment:

• rbirchell
    replied

Nicely done. Love the slate.

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

Dino, your slate roofing looks tremendous. I really like how it's laying out. I like the black color.

I found some refurbished red slate that I plan to use. They look a little worn (rustic?). Your roof makes me reconsider. Great job.

I'm going to be sad when your oven build is over. I've enjoyed every step of it.

Leave a comment:

• Fish Wheels
    replied

Torturing the forum with oven pictures, is how I got hooked on coming back to this place!

Leave a comment:

• cynon767
    replied

This looks amazing. I am more than a bit jealous and/or in awe of your roofing skills and/or patience.

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

Thanks Ian, as you can see by all the pics I take, I must torture my family and friends with them constantly! This forum is obviously no exception.

Earlier this week, I had to finish some stuff before the rains. I took off my chimney cap and stuffed FB insulation between the copper flashing and the 8" duratec vent. I sized it so the copper was 1/4" or so bigger and I don't want the copper to touch the steel. I then put high-heat mortar in the gap to seal it and put my chimney cap back on...for good this time.

Last 2 pics show how hard the last 2 rows of slate are. Since each slate is 16" long and you only see 6" exposed, it means there is LOTS of slate stacked up beneath each that you don't see. You have cut the last 2 rows of slate to just exposed the 6" face, then line them up and drill new holes in them, thru them. I blue-taped them down while I lined up the holes. See the copper nails. Then I lift out the nails, carefully caulk these pieces and put them back down, finding the nail holes again and hammering in. I've got no picture yet but I silicone stuck a 6" copper flashing over this ridge to ensure no water gets in that way. This weekend I hope put the final ridge facade pieces on the very top and be done with the roof. You can see in the middle pic the final ridge pieces on either side against the copper chimney.

Leave a comment:

• TheOldFox
    replied

Dino i have to add i've been looking at your picasa web albums of your build you really did a grand job of taking shed loads of pictures, well impressed...

regards.
    Ian..

see i dropped the Mr part at your request ... lol

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

I've just returned from a week in Albuquerque NM for the hot air balloon festival so I've missed your posts.

Thanks Bill, I had few on hours Sunday to finish the roof sides (not the ridge and row beneath it) so it's looking nice. The top 2 rows (they are partial slates, not the 16" long slates that make up the rest) have to be nailed in together, thru each other and still be straight so it's slow going. Almost there.

Ian, I think Bills pics are causing LOTS of DROOLING over our keyboards. He really shows us whats possible in these WFOs. BTW: you may call me just plain Dino without the Mr.

Tony: Thanks for the compliments and great job on your oven so far. Round hearth slabs are so cool. I'm with you, we've got so many great Nat'l Parks and you seem to have hit all the good ones last year. You've been to more than I have and I'm jealous . Next year...

Thanks all, Dino

Leave a comment:

• Roadkyng
    replied

Originally posted by mluttropp View Post
    Thanks for the mix design and the reasurance that it will work just fine. The cost of the Refmix was killing me.
    I've used the homebrew from the beginning. I do have a bag of Heatstop I intend to use for the last 3 chains and keystone, only because it seems to be 'stickier' and it sets quicker. Otherwise I love the texture of the homebrew.

Leave a comment:

• MetalHead
    replied

Dino,

Tech question on how your smoke is doing. I like your flared entry and vent size. Is this still working for you as far as the smoke goes? Are you getting any out of the front or is it all going up the stack well?

PhotoPlog - Dome and Floor

Leave a comment:

Working...
X