Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ellie's WFO as it it built

Hi Ellie,

The Siamese is very nice. Just making sure you doing everything correctly. We have a white calico. Lots of drizzle on the central coast.
    James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

The cats seem to love this new "perch"!

Dale came over today to start the next phase. He is a mason with 33 years experience but has never done one of these ovens before. He is very good at what he does, so it should be a terrific oven.

Comment

Hi Ellie,
        get Dale involved in the web site so if he does a great job (as I have no doubt he will) there are members who would grab his services especially as he is progressing at a fast rate.
        Who knows what the future holds.
        Is that shed full of wood yours or the neighbors? Quite a nice supply should one run low with their frequent oven firings eh?
        You might also need to discourage pus from being too curious as he/she might end up in their one hot time unexpectedly.

Cheers,

Neill
        Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
        Neill’s kitchen underway
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Yep, Neill, you always nail it: that is why I put his picture on here. He is a good man and a good mason. I sent him the link to the Pompeii oven stuff just tonight.

Hey, have you ever tried to "discourage" a cat from doing anything? Ha ha, doesn't work, lol.

Wood is mine, we have oak mostly here.

Ellie
          Last edited by Ellie; 01-25-2009, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Ellie,

Looks like Dale is doing a great job... The fun part is installing the fire brick... and then all of the finish work on the outside of the structure...

Keep the pictures coming, it is fun to watch your oven come together.

JED

Comment

Well, here is day 6. Dale is doing well.

Ellie

Comment

Day 8

Looks like a great dry fit.

Ellie

Comment

Ellie,
                  Yea, I agree, looks flat. No light under the level. Your making great progress.

Mark

Comment

Ellie,

Your build is looking just grand!

JED

Comment

Thanks, I just wish I could have been as talented as you guys. I just could not do it and I NEVER could have done what this man has. But I am having so much fun watching this oven come together and love looking at yours too!

Ellie

Comment

Quite honestly, if I'd had a professional builder living next door, I probably wouldn't have dared build it myself either....

Lovely bricks by the way. Do they really have a redish tinge, or is that the picture?
                        "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

The bricks are a yellowish color and I think it is just that I took the picture late in the day when I got home. They are really pretty though.

I was wrong, in looking this morning, they are not a dry fit... they are actually pasted in there. I didn't see that last evening.

Ellie

Comment

Dale had two days that he had prior commitments but look, he is back!

Ellie

Comment

Hi Ellie, me again and on the ball,
                              the only thing that I can pick (and I'm not looking for faults, only observations) is that he has put full length soldier bricks on top of your hearth bricks. That is OK but (and I am not sure of the FB plans) I would have put either the full soldier bricks on the base insulation layer and then put my hearth up to these (as I did in mine) OR use half sized soldier bricks and place them as he has on top of your hearth.
                              The only thing this does is to reduce your dome height when trying to keep it hemispherical. Your dome will now be 4 1/2" higher unless you are deliberately going to change the semicircular shape to suit.
                              You must be getting excited to see it progress at such a rate. He only goes to prove my belief that the dome, hearth and entry can be done in a couple of good days work.
                              Can you almost smell those pizzas and roasts with a touch of bread already???

Cheers.

Neill
                              Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
                              Neill’s kitchen underway
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

I wouldn't sweat it. The oven will perform fine. I might be wrong (OK, I've been wrong at least once or twice), if he follows the forms which look to be based on the circumfrence of the oven, then the dome will likely be correct. He's been doing this stuff for a long, long time - you don't stay in a biz for decades if you suck at it. No one would hire you.

It doesn't worry me too much from what I see on your pics. A couple of inches either way will not greatly affect the performance.
                                GJBingham
                                -----------------------------------
                                Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Working...
                                X