Ellie's WFO as it it built

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ellie's WFO as it it built

If you look real closely, you can see my hen, Victoria Elizabeth making sure Dale does it right !

Just had to share...
    Ellie

Comment

Cyclone Ellie has delivered us about a metre of rain. Highway cut off both north and south of us. We haven't seen the sun for about two and a half weeks. I'm firing my oven now with the last of my dry wood to try and dry it out. Pool is overflowing for about the tenth time. I think my next project is going to be a very large wooden boat, but I'll have to hurry.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I'm so sorry.... hope you dry out soon. Dang, I had hoped my namesake would have been mild.

E

Comment

Actually the cyclone part of it was really mild, but we've been left with a massive rain depression. Seems the planet is full of weather extremes. At least a WFO uses renewable fuel which recycles carbon already in the system.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Ellie, I don't think Dale has anything to worry about. I think it is best of Victoria Elizabeth heads for the hills when you bring out the BBQ sause and beer cans!
            I'm enjoying watching your WFO progress.
            Cheers,

Comment

Whew! Finally got the insulation on. This was tough. It looks good though.

Ellie

Comment

Looks great Ellie!
                How thick is the blanket layer??

Is Victoria a Maran?
                -------------------------------------------
                My 2nd Build:
                Is here

Comment

Thanks, the layer is 3" thick, I think. We just stripped the back off of regular insulation. The hard part was attaching the wire to the dome. He had to put screws in to hold it together. They did not go in very far, though.

Victoria Elizabeth is my only cross. She is an Ameracauna crossed with a barred rock. She is the only chicken who jumps the fence and comes in the back yard. And.. she puts herself back in the chicken yard when she has checked everything out!!

Ellie

Comment

Hi Ellie did you place regular house insulation on the dome? will that work?

Comment

From what I've read, yes it works as long as you take the backing off. It is over a coating of fireclay and cement.

Ellie

Comment

Ellie, it looks great!
                        Bill

Oven Build: https://goo.gl/photos/rN6FhFSS2jzwfQuB7

Oven cooking: https://photos.app.goo.gl/1vmPg7XXSbMwhdnD6

Comment

We eagerly await results of the house insulation experiment: you might want to hold off on fabulous surface treatments before you find out if the house insulation will hold heat and keep the exterior cool enough not to be a hazard.
                          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Good point dmun. Has anybody measured the temps on the outside surface of the dome bricks while the interior is 900 or so degrees? I wonder weather regular home insulation, sans paper, can withstand the exterior dome heat without eventually looking like the singed hairs on the back of my hands after a night of making pizza.
                            GJBingham
                            -----------------------------------
                            Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

More fool you for getting your hands in what is known as a very hot oven eh!

Rastys
                              If you don't succeed the first time, try again and again until you get it right!

Comment

Ellie, what did you read that said it was ok? I'm not so sure. Rockwool (which I think some people have used) isn't as good an insulator as insulating blanket, but it's ok. Rockwool isn't the same as the pink stuff, though. It would be a pity to get it all done and discover that it isn't what you need.

Can you leave it where it is for a while, let it dry out a bit, cure it and test it? That way if it isn't enough, or if it melts or something, you can fix it without tearing your hair out.
                                Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Working...
                                X