Ellie's WFO as it it built

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ellie's WFO as it it built

Ok, thought I would start a "formal" thread. I will post pictures each day or two to show everyone.

This is Day 1

Notice anything wrong?

This is day 2

Neill got it right away... the mason had the lumber in the way of the rebar. He realized his mistake and cut the boards and now it looks the way it should. There will be a wood/coal barbecue on the left and counter on the right.

The foundation will be poured tomorrow.

Ellie
    Last edited by Ellie; 01-19-2009, 04:46 PM.

Re: Ellie's WFO as it it built

Hi Ellie,
    I would still dig 6" deeper and 10 - 12" wide all around the centre "oven area" perimeter and put in a couple of extra reinforcing bars. It should not be necessary under you planned counter and charcoal grille areas.
    Cut through the grass and down to virgin (undisturbed) soil which is at it's maximum compaction.

Cheers.

Neill
    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
    Neill’s kitchen underway
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Thanks, Neill. He did dig a little more. I think it should be ok now. Looks ok now. Can't wait to see it poured tonight after work.

Ellie
      Last edited by Ellie; 01-24-2009, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Make sure he lifts the reinforcing steel up off the ground. A couple of pavers or bricks will do the job, with the aim to have it roughly centre of the slab thickness.

It won't do anything but rust if it's left on the very bottom of the slab.

Comment

Actually, you want the rebar in the bottom third (that's dividing the thickness into thirds) that's where the tension is. Alot of people incorrectly place rebar in the center of a slab but all it does there is hold the pieces together after the slab has broken. The center of a slab is "neutral" as to bending moment when load/stress is applied. If the slab is uniformly supported and a load applied on the top then the top third of the slab is in compression and the bottom third is under tension.

Obviously vice versa in a cantilevered beam or slab where the tension is in the top third. This is a rough rule of thumb for small low tech slabs like we are using for our bases.

Concrete is very strong in compression and very weak in tension thus the need for reinforcing steel.

Wiley

Comment

Well, he poured while I was at work, so I don't know where the rebar ended up! The slab looks good and I took a picture this morning. I will put it on here after work today. It is supposed to rain for the next few days but that shouldn't matter at this point.

Ellie

Comment

Day 3

Day 4

Ellie

Comment

Wow, full steam ahead! You'll have pizza in no time!
                Nikki

Comment

There was a light rain last night and sprinkles throughout the day. I think that is ok while doing cement stuff.

I am pretty excited that it is going along so well. He is going to make the wood enclosure closed in the back at about three feet. He said the plans leave it open. I am afraid that snakes may get back in there, and I really don't like them!! So, sealing it is ok, and I can only reach in so far for the wood anyhow!

Ellie

Comment

Your off and sprinting. Looks like you'll have by the end of the weekend. I'll be in N. CA on Sunday evening! I look forward to seen the pictures as your WFO progresses.
                    Cheers,

Comment

Ellie,
                      I see the 'supervisor' in shining black overlooking the project with interest.
                      He/she might be the one to control your potential snake problem!

Lookin' good.

Cheers.

Neill

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                      Neill’s kitchen underway

Comment

Gosh, i don't know if he can do it that quickly! JR, I bet you will be glad to get out of the horrific weather you have been seeing up there in Washington. We had nearly 80 degrees this last weekend but rainy now. I hope it is nice for your visit.

Ellie

Comment

Neill, you are correct, he is pretty good with snakes and I have a Siamese that just pulls them out of the hole and kills them!! Maybe I will tell him to just leave it long as in the plans if we don't have enough blocks.

I am pleased with the progress so far and cannot wait to share with you guys.

Ellie

Comment

Ellie,
                            I can't wait for you to enjoy the oven. They are a real buzz. I need to use mine more and will be putting the finishing touches to my outdoor kitchen today (painting). I still haven't used my new mixer, Sad isn't it?
                            We have an Australian Day public holiday on Monday and can't get to use the oven as we have other commitments.

Cheers.

Neill

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                            Neill’s kitchen underway

Comment

Day 5

The floor is poured... wood on top to protect from the rain. Next step to pour the insulation mix.

Thanks for looking,
                              Ellie

Comment

Working...
                              X