X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven Floor Temperatures

Question for thos who have thermocouples in their floors:
    What are the highest temps you see?

I have been researching Cal-Sil Board sources and found a site that sells 2" thick board for $3.56 sqft. Looking at the specs (ASTM C 533, Type I) it shows a heat rating of 1200 degrees F (649 degrees C).

The Cal-Sil Board sold in the FB store states a heat rating of 1200 degrees C (over 2400 F). (possible typo?)

Now I suppose there are different grades or specifications of Cal-Sil Board. My question is, what floor temps are likely to be seen? ie if 1200 degrees F is completely adequate I can't see paying 3 times the price for board that will never come close to the temp rating possible.

Re: Oven Floor Temperatures

The highest I've sen with my laser was right around 920.

Mark

Comment

The highest I've seen from the thermocouple in the hearth bricks was 1030.

Jim
      "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Roadkyng, I can't comment on your question, but I love the Avatar!
        Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
        My oven build thread

Comment

I have standard floor (flat bricks) and TC's with center of brick measurement. There is no way you are going to overheat the floor insulation on a normal pizza firing. The highest temps I have recorded for the floor mass was approx 450 degF. The floor is the slowest to rise in temp as the only way for it to receive heat is conduction of the coals and has the highest cooling load as the incoming cold air is constantly running over it. I don't see a problem with 1200 deg limit unless you are going to fire daily.

See added post under original topic.
          Last edited by wlively; 02-22-2009, 07:24 AM.
          Wade Lively

Comment

Thanks!. My favorite strip

Originally posted by mfiore View Post
            Roadkyng, I can't comment on your question, but I love the Avatar!

Comment

Since this will be a personal overn I won't be firing every day or continuously. So I should be fine.
              Nice RV by the way

Originally posted by wlively View Post
              I have standard floor (flat bricks) and TC's with center of brick measurement. There is no way you are going to overheat the floor insulation on a normal pizza firing. The highest temps I have recorded for the floor mass was approx 450 degF. The floor is the slowest to rise in temp as the only way for it to receive heat is conduction of the coals and has the highest cooling load as the incoming cold air is constantly running over it. I don't see a problem with 1200 deg limit unless you are going to fire daily.

See added post under original topic.

Comment

Working...
              X