No announcement yet.

Crack Control and fiber addmixtures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry, it seems posting a URL isn't permitted, it kind of spoils the power of sharing info, I reckon.
    +1 on Russell's post.

Direct links outside of the forum can lead to some nasty phishing, spamming, and viruses. There are work arounds that can be used and are done all the time. The name of the product and who sells it can be written out in the post. Just no direct commercial links. Direct links are what gets the spammers there quota for their big$. Anyone can do a search for the "product name" and "who sells" it based on the key words provided. Also, a print screen can be done of product data sheets if someone is asking for advice.

It's a shame that we have to do this but that's the way the world is now a days!
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Gold Coast, Australia - chopped basalt fibre is available by the kg ($22) from carbonparts(dot)com(dot)au

Finally found some locally...

Comment

A year on from my build I have decided that worrying about cracks is over-rated.

Mine has a fairly long crack along about 50% of the length from front to back. When I finished the build I was really concerned about the crack and kept patching it. Each time I used the oven, the next day I would fill the crack with mortar and then next time it would open up again.

Nowadays I am not worried about it at all.

It opens up when the oven is hot and closes when it cools down. For sure some rain gets in, then when the oven is fired, some steam comes out for a while No doubt the insulation is compromised, but big deal...we make 15 or so pizzas and are not counting on retaining the heat.

It makes outstanding pizzas.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220127_122817 (Large).jpg
Views:	178
Size:	623.8 KB
ID:	451747

Comment

I use both AR glass fibres and basalt fibres. For the price of each and the recommended dosage:strength attained, there is little difference. A slight improvement of strength <400C for basalt, but over 400C the AR glass fibres are stronger. For this reason I use 50/50 of each. Both are ok for the service temp range we use. For mixing I prefer the AR glass fibres because they disperse in the mix better. The basalt fibres tend to clump which requires extended mixing time. Both are soft to handle. My AR glass fibres are all of a uniform length and thickness, while the basalt fibres I sourced have varying length and thickness. This could vary from different suppliers.
          As well as stainless needles (melt extract fibres) which are used with dense castable hot face, I use the very fine as well as the thicker and longer pp fibres and nano fibre reinforcing (one graphene based and the other carbon nanotube based), which provide reinforcing on a molecular level. I only use these out of interest and have yet to conduct flexural strength tests on sample cast bars next month when I hope to have more time.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
          X