• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John K
    replied
    Re: John's 42inch Aussie WFO

Hi michael,

Appreciate the contact as Alex delivered on the 24th. 1 cubic meter + 2 bags of kindling. I was used to using my Oregon 4x2's as fire wood which burned hot and fast with little smoke however the new batch generates alot of smoke and smoked out the neighbours.

Do u generate much smoke and do u split your wood further?

Hope you and your family enjoyed Christmas and hope you have a prosperous 2011

Cheers
    Last edited by John K; 12-31-2010, 09:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MikeyMann
    replied

Hi John, did Alex turn up with your firewood? It's really good stuff if you ask me. All dry, good hardwood.

cheers, Merry Christmas and a Good 2011 to you and your family.

Michael.

Leave a comment:

• John K
    replied

Originally posted by mn8tr View Post
    That is one sharp project, I really like the layout and your choice of brick do you have any recent photos?
    Hi mn8tr.

Thanks for the compliment. I had some bricks left over from my home renovation so just used those. Will try to post some pics over the next week.

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• John K
    replied

Originally posted by MikeyMann View Post
    Hi mate, give this guy a call. Good rates, he delivers, and many pizzerias around Sydney and Leichhardt use his wood. It's dry, always covered and split into a good size. I tend to split them in half again, but it's great wood. Mix of Yellow Box and Iron bark. Burns long and hot.

Emmbers Firewood Supplies - Home

Call 0418 470 959

cheers

M
    Thanks Michael. Gave them a call today so hopefully they might deliver 1cubic meter at some point this week

Leave a comment:

• mn8tr
    replied

That is one sharp project, I really like the layout and your choice of brick do you have any recent photos?

Leave a comment:

• MikeyMann
    replied

Hi mate, give this guy a call. Good rates, he delivers, and many pizzerias around Sydney and Leichhardt use his wood. It's dry, always covered and split into a good size. I tend to split them in half again, but it's great wood. Mix of Yellow Box and Iron bark. Burns long and hot.

Emmbers Firewood Supplies - Home

Call 0418 470 959

cheers

M

Leave a comment:

• John K
    replied

Hello all,

Its been a very long time since iv'e had a chance to log in so hope all is well with all. I have not worked on the oven in months other than place a temporary roof to keep out the weather.

I have just about finnished using all the hard wood from my old roof frame during my renovation so its time to get some firewood in.

Just wondering if any Sydney siders have found a good supplier of Split hardwood? I have found this mob Betta Burn Firewood but would like to hear from yourselves re experience and cost

cheers

John

Leave a comment:

• MikeyMann
    replied

Congratulations mate. Take a well deserved break. Your family look happy, and for me that matters more than the oven! Enjoy cooking... it's great fun.

Seriously, your mates will constantly hassle you for pizza nights and they will leave very happy... they won't eat pizza anywhere else ever again.

cheers, M.

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

John,
    I was a bit confused (like a lot of us in the North America) why you were going to "wait for summer" until I saw your kids in their warm winter coats . duh, Great looking family too.
    So the last food pic: is that lamb in potatoes with olive oil, Greek style?

You've done a great job building the oven so there's nothing wrong in taking a break until you get a formal roof. Enjoy the oven until then.

Cheers, Dino

Leave a comment:

• John K
    replied

Originally posted by countryboy View Post
    John,

Nice build and nice looking family!

I have enjoyed your thread and admired your brickwork. Very nice.

Keep up the good work!

CB
    Thanks CB. Its been a year since I started but definetly worth the wait,

Originally posted by Alter ego View Post
    Congratulations John.

It?s a good clean looking build. If your anything like me the next bit to finish it off completely will take a loooong time because you are so busy using the oven.

Have you made your first pizza yet? Have fun cooking.

Paul
    Hey Paul sure have!! Multiple pizza's I might add.
    Lost 1 of the first few though, tried to take it out of a steel tray and place it on the WFO floor but lets just say that that is not a good idea.

Not in a rush to do any more work though so might wait for summer before tackling the roof.

cheers

Leave a comment:

• Alter ego
    replied

Congratulations John.

It’s a good clean looking build. If your anything like me the next bit to finish it off completely will take a loooong time because you are so busy using the oven.

Have you made your first pizza yet? Have fun cooking.

Paul

Leave a comment:

• countryboy
    replied

John,

Nice build and nice looking family!

I have enjoyed your thread and admired your brickwork. Very nice.

Keep up the good work!

CB

Leave a comment:

• John K
    replied

Thank you Dino!

Yes finally cured but still some way from completion

I have fired the oven a few times since the 1st time and am happy to say no internal cracks to date. I do however have some some cracks in the outside brickwork and put it down to insufficient drying time. I only left it 2 weeks after the final brick laying and a week after the acid clean so I guess I brought it upon myself!!

I have grinded out the cracks and will re-point these in a few weeks

Here are some pics of the first firing and also the fires from hell!!

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

Wahooo!! oven fully cured in record time. I agree with you John, you had the majority of the oven done a while ago so your accelerated curing was fine. Your flu looks so I good I bet it's draw was excellent.
    Roasting and baking already. It's great to be using the oven finally isn't it?
    Congratulations, Dino

Leave a comment:

• John K
    replied

Cured the oven over the weekend and started on Friday night.

All went well with no cracks in the oven Dome so I passed the test for the time being!!

Began with 8kg of hot coals in the oven at 7pm and added another 8kg at 11pm. At this point I was going to go to sleep but against my good judgment decided to throw in timbers @ 2 am by 10 am I had the fires from hell going.

I know that the curing process should have been much longer but as I finished the dome a good 3-4 months ago I wasn't to worried about any major failings with the dome due to water retention.

We ended up cooking our first roast with potatoes on Saturday followed by some late afternoon baking of some bread. Both turned out great!!

All in all happy with the performance of the oven but know it will only get better with time.

Will post some pics when I get a chance

Leave a comment:

Working...
X