X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John K
    replied
    Re: John's 42inch Aussie WFO

Thank you for the complement George. It's been 9 months in the making and still going!!

I just read through your thread and love you build!!

Great use of the space you had and the shaping of the oven/Flue looks great!!

What colour are you planning for the stucco finish?

cheers

Leave a comment:

• fxpose
    replied

That's an absolutely beautiful brickwork!

George

Leave a comment:

• John K
    replied

Cleaned the outside of the oven with acid and a gurney over the weekend and am fairly happy with the results

Looking forward to next weekend as I will begin curing!!

Feel free to recommend any curing Technics if you like
    Last edited by John K; 07-11-2010, 06:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• John K
    replied

So many choices Dino but not sure?

Personally would like a pitched roof over the WFO but would also like a Pitched roof/Pergola over the whole area.

The issue is that I have not spoken to my local council authority in relation to this whole area so if I was to build any type of structure over the top I would need to seek approval at which point the WFO and open spit would fail local compliance due to the proximity to the neighbors and size of the structures.

I think I am going to just place a flat roof over the top with the flu sticking up out of it. This will do for a few months and hopefully have the neighbors overs for a few pizza sessions and see how he reacts to a possible roof structure over the whole thing (no council involvement) fingers crossed.

cheers

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

That's a great cooking area with the open spit on the right of the wfo.

I like the thought of a pergola or roof over all of it. But what does that mean for the oven? A simple, filled in flat, but slightly curved cement roof with the flu sticking up out of it wouldn't conflict with a pergola but a roof tiled structure always looks good.

I've always thought it a great idea to do like Mick says, fill the void with vermiculite.

You're going to do some amazing cooking in that think. Cheers, Dino

Leave a comment:

• John K
    replied

Completed the outer walls of the oven over the weekend

Not sure about the roof at this stage

Do I build a pitched roof? I have the roof tiles which I had left over from the house renovation or do I do a Flat roof and build a large pergola over the whole WFO/Open spit???

Decisions decisions!!

Leave a comment:

• John K
    replied

Originally posted by MikeyMann View Post
    Heya John,

i would put some vermiculite in... just helps keep the heat in. here's a photo of the inside of my enclosure... you can see the top of the fibre blanket poking through, but the entire void is full of 2 bags of vermiculite
    Thanks Michael

So 2 bags @ 100Litres each?. I assume you picked those up from Field furnace or did you find a supplier closer to home?

Mike (BackyardPermaculture) picked his up from ebay so might try there. No time to go out to Weatherille park during the week!

cheers

Leave a comment:

• John K
    replied

Originally posted by BackyardPermaculture View Post
    John,

Don't be too worried about having covered it with blanket - steam will drive out through the blanket. But it will get correspondingly hot while that happens - but make sure there's no roof over the top until it's all dry.

I poured loose vermiculite into mine, to fill the gap between the blanket and the enclosure at the sides. The vermiculite is cheap (I think $35 for 100L bag) so probably worth doing. I ordered it from a hydroponics supplier in NSW via eBay. They "guarantee your privacy" by shipping it in black plastic wrapping and without any identifying labels - and I thought all the hydroponics customers were growing tomatoes

Cheers,
    Mick
    What!! You mean their not growing tomatoes!!

Thanks Mick I might jump online and check out ebay as I would need to take a day off to pick some vermiculite from my refactory supplier.

cheers

Leave a comment:

• MikeyMann
    replied

Heya John,

not to worry... just make sure you completely dry it out... i think you've got the oven at 200 degrees until the steam stops. and gradually increase until more steam, and hold it there, etc etc. i'm sure you know how.

i would put some vermiculite in... just helps keep the heat in. here's a photo of the inside of my enclosure... you can see the top of the fibre blanket poking through, but the entire void is full of 2 bags of vermiculite.

cheers

M

Leave a comment:

• BackyardPermaculture
    replied

John,

Don't be too worried about having covered it with blanket - steam will drive out through the blanket. But it will get correspondingly hot while that happens - but make sure there's no roof over the top until it's all dry.

I poured loose vermiculite into mine, to fill the gap between the blanket and the enclosure at the sides. The vermiculite is cheap (I think $35 for 100L bag) so probably worth doing. I ordered it from a hydroponics supplier in NSW via eBay. They "guarantee your privacy" by shipping it in black plastic wrapping and without any identifying labels - and I thought all the hydroponics customers were growing tomatoes

Cheers,
    Mick

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Very nice!

Leave a comment:

• John K
    replied

1 side of the dome enclosure is complete, 1 to go

Leave a comment:

• John K
    replied

Originally posted by Dino_Pizza View Post
    Did you put ceramic fiber insulation on it or are you going to use another material? (like vermicrete or something else?)

Cheers, Dino

Thanks Dino. I purchased 2 rolls of Ceramic Blanket which I have fixed in place. just tossing up whether I should by some Vermiculite and throw it in loose over the blanket? Would that be overkill?

Originally posted by MikeyMann View Post
    I recommend curing the oven dome before you start building the enclosure. Before you put any ceramic blanket or vermiculite on. Much steam comes from the mortar. I spent about 3 days curing mine slowly with hot coals in the oven. If you enclose it first, then all that steam will get trapped in the ceramic blanket and possibly reduce it's ability to keep the heat in.M
    Damn!! Michael I already covered the dome with Blanket and have already bricked 1 side of the enclosure!!. I am fairly sure that the guys at field furnace suggested I install the blanket then cure the over to ensure even heat distribution?. The good thing is that the dome was finished over 2 months ago so hopefully the moisture content won't be too high.

Will probably start the curing process next week.

cheers

Leave a comment:

• MikeyMann
    replied

Hey mate I decided to enclose mine too. Not sure why. I got to the finished dome and decided to go further. Glad I did... looks fantastic now. Made mostly out of bricks, with pitched roof; treated pine structure covered in slate.

Just an idea.. I decided to install some wiring inside cavity, away from the heat for some low voltage lights. Really happy with them... doesn't cost much and looks fantastic at night.

Another thing... I recommend curing the oven dome before you start building the enclosure. Before you put any ceramic blanket or vermiculite on. Much steam comes from the mortar. I spent about 3 days curing mine slowly with hot coals in the oven. If you enclose it first, then all that steam will get trapped in the ceramic blanket and possibly reduce it's ability to keep the heat in.

cheers

M

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

That vent transition looks great John. Now that you decided on enclosing it, it's going to get done fast. Did you put ceramic fiber insulation on it or are you going to use another material? (like vermicrete or something else?)

Cheers, Dino

Leave a comment:

Working...
X