Clear All

• Re: John's 42inch Aussie WFO

hey john

very nice the way you cut the bricks for the recess

good work
    mark

Comment

Started work on the arch today and it was as hard as every one said it was going to be. At the end I gave up so the joints will not be 100% perfect but most of it will be covered up when the chimney landing is built
      John

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...-wfo-7911.html

The difference between a successful person and others is not the lack of strength, nor the lack of knowledge… but rather, the lack of will power.

Comment

Looks great John, well done.

Comment

Some further Pics of the Arch set up
          John

The difference between a successful person and others is not the lack of strength, nor the lack of knowledge… but rather, the lack of will power.

Comment

QUOTE=3G_;73089]Looks great John, well done.[/QUOTE]

Thanks 3G

How's the curing going? I see you are going to use a Light globe to begin with? Out of curiosity why are you curing the WFO now before you build the Chimney arch? Is there an advantage?

cheers
            John

Comment

Im waiting for the stone to come from the quarry for the front arch. The dome is pretty wet, from recent rain and soaking each brick before placing in the dome. I figure there wont be lot of water in the front arch area but i will still ramp up the fires slowly once all in place.
              Cheers

Comment

hey john..

Looking real good... Was the arch that hard or more of a pain in the a$$ ....?

Cheers
                Mark

Comment

Wow John, looks great! Hope I can do as well with mine.

Great job,
                  Tom
                  Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

Comment

Great looking arch. Very nice job.
                    Scott -

My projects: http://www.facebook.com/#!/scott.kerr.794

Comment

nice work!
                      I think it looks perfect!

cheers,
                      mitch.
                      -------------------------------------------
                      My 2nd Build:
                      Is here

Comment

Hi All thanks for the vote of confidence. Thought I would never get it ready for mortar!!

"Was the arch that hard or more of a pain in the a$$ ....?"

Mark it was a pain in the A$$!!!! and time consuming rather than hard.

All the intricate cuts allowance for mortar and so on gave me a headache. Lucky I had a hand from my brother inlaw otherwise I wouldn't be ready to set the arch in place this weekend coming.

The Sun did not help either.

A bit of a laugh!!
                        In some of the previous pics you would have seen a large marque/Cover that I used for cover from rain and the sun, well last weekend there was a large gust of wind and it picked up the marque and flipped it over the fence and landed in the neighbours pool whilst he was having a swim!! Needless to say he was not happy and it just missed him as well. I thought it was funny but I guess it is always funnier from the other side of the fence!! LOL excuse the pun!!

PS I had to throw out the marque as all the steel pipes had bent so no more covers for me!!
                        Last edited by John K; 12-02-2009, 08:01 PM.
                        John

Comment

Hey John,
                          I thought it was funny
                          Your not alone,,, I find that funny too,, guess your gonna have to make him a few pizzas so he can find it funny,,,,

Cheers
                          Mark

Comment

John,

Your arch looks good. I did my build slightly different in that I built my inner arch first and then joined each dome course up to it. Cutting those transition pricks was still a bitch but least I only did them a course at a time.

The first couple of courses I took a lot of time but then I lost patients as I got higher. It sure was a relief once I got above the arch and just bricked in complete circles.

Paul
                            Paul

Deficio est nusquam tamen vicis ut satus iterum
                            (Failure is nothing but the opportunity to start again)

Comment

awesome job john. love your nice clean cuts with the wet saw. your wedge for the edge of the arch is great.

what i'm particularly impressed with is the rebate on the arch bricks and how neat they are using just your 4inch angle grinder!

do your best to keep the bricks clean... when I tried to scrub mine down sometimes I could take the corner off a brick. makes it less pleasing to the eye.

cheers

M
                              Whatever you do, do it with a glass of red.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
                                Hey John,
                                Your not alone,,, I find that funny too,, guess your gonna have to make him a few pizzas so he can find it funny,,,,

Cheers
                                Mark
                                Funny you say that Mark spoke to him the other day and that is exactly what he said!! Do you know my neighbor by any chance???

Originally posted by Alter ego View Post
                                John,

Your arch looks good. I did my build slightly different in that I built my inner arch first and then joined each dome course up to it.
                                Paul
                                Paul I absolutely agree would have to be easier as you go up and less intricate cuts.

Originally posted by MikeyMann View Post
                                what i'm particularly impressed with is the rebate on the arch bricks and how neat they are using just your 4inch angle grinder!

do your best to keep the bricks clean... when I tried to scrub mine down sometimes I could take the corner off a brick. makes it less pleasing to the eye.

cheers

M
                                Michael unfortunately the wet saw will not lift that high to do the rebate so I had now choice but to use what I had. You would be surprised as to how easy (but time consuming) it was to notch them.

Will definitely take your advice and keep the bricks clean I am a clean freak so shouldn't be a problem!!
                                John

Comment

Working...
                                X