John's 42inch Aussie WFO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: John's 42inch Aussie WFO

I have a question around the chimney landing. I will be building the front bricks out of a purple coloured brick (as per the oven base) but there will be no way to tie in the landing Chimney bricks with the arch bricks. Will this be an issue??? I will source some brick ties to mortar in for stability but am hoping for some direction.
    I'm afraid I don't understand the question - perhaps you could give us a sketch to clarify what you're asking?
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Hi Dmun,

I was not very clear with my question. As per the below diagram as I will not be using fire brick for the landing bricks so will need to butt my landing bricks to my oven brick arch (hope this makes sense).

I was concerned that this might be an issue down the track
      John

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...-wfo-7911.html

The difference between a successful person and others is not the lack of strength, nor the lack of knowledge… but rather, the lack of will power.

Comment

Ok, Now I understand. There is no problem having dissimilar bricks in that place, in fact it's a notorious cracking area because of the temperature differential between the hot dome and the cooler entry. If you are concerned, you could engineer a slip plane between the two dissimilar materials, they make a special refractory paper for just that purpose, or you could just ignore any cracks that develop, like the rest of us.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

You could also leave a 10mm gap and fill it with perl or vermicrete
          -------------------------------------------
          My 2nd Build:
          Is here

Comment

I think with mortar and ties you'll be fine

Comment

Much appreciated guys.

Now I don't feel as bad. In that case I will just use some brick ties and unfortunately expect some cracking in the mortar

Cheers
              John

The difference between a successful person and others is not the lack of strength, nor the lack of knowledge… but rather, the lack of will power.

Comment

it MIGHT crack,,,, doesnt mean it will.... and if it does it will be hard to see from my house.. relax, and think of the cracks as charachter......

Comment

If it does crack,
                  it'll get covered with soot anyway

out of sight... out of mind!
                  My 2nd Build:
                  Is here

Comment

Originally posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
                    it MIGHT crack,,,, and if it does it will be hard to see from my house..
                    lol you sure Mark, Google Earth is a pretty powerfully tool you know

Mitchamus I agree the soot will probable cover most of the imperfections any way

cheers
                    John

Comment

Began work on the chimney landing bricks today. Things went well and layed 3 courses. I utilsed brick ties to to reduce any cracking as those bricks do not overlap.

I also cut out 1 of 2 templates for my brick arch supports so I will have a busy couple of days in front of me

Cheers
                      John

Comment

It's looking really good. I see one potential concern that I'm a little hesitant to point out because you probably already know this. It looks like the wood in the 4th picture is a pattern for your arch. When you make your arch form, make sure it is short enough to shim underneath the form. After building the arch you might not get the form out without damaging the arch if you don't have shims you can take out first.
                        Joe

Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

My thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...oven-8181.html

Comment

Originally posted by jmhepworth View Post
                          make sure it is short enough to shim underneath the form. After building the arch you might not get the form out without damaging the arch if you don't have shims you can take out first.
                          +1

Nice block work!
                          My 2nd Build:
                          Is here

Comment

I see one potential concern that I'm a little hesitant to point out because you probably already know this. It looks like the wood in the 4th picture is a pattern for your arch. When you make your arch form, make sure it is short enough to shim underneath the form
                            Great call JM....... I wouldnt have noticed until you pointed it out...

Comment

Originally posted by jmhepworth View Post
                              It's looking really good. I see one potential concern that I'm a little hesitant to point out because you probably already know this. It looks like the wood in the 4th picture is a pattern for your arch. When you make your arch form, make sure it is short enough to shim underneath the form. After building the arch you might not get the form out without damaging the arch if you don't have shims you can take out first.
                              Hi Jim

You have a great eye their. The template was used to give me the overall height of the 3 arch bricks. I hadn't thought that far ahead but will definitely take your advice and shim it up once cut to size.
                              John

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchamus View Post
                                +1

Nice block work!
                                Thanks Mitchamus

That was the easy bit!!

I guarantee the arch work won't be as clean!!

cheers
                                Last edited by John K; 10-29-2009, 05:02 AM.
                                John

Comment

Working...
                                X