John's 42inch Aussie WFO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: John's 42inch Aussie WFO

will be perfestly fine John, you may find you need to raise the pizza with the peel for a few secs.

Comment

Thanks guys I guess I'll know when I'm done

Originally posted by MikeyMann View Post
      What are the dimensions of your cooking floor? M
      I think it is about a 535mm radius but will double check over the weekend
      Last edited by John K; 02-04-2010, 06:22 AM.
      John

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...-wfo-7911.html

The difference between a successful person and others is not the lack of strength, nor the lack of knowledge… but rather, the lack of will power.

Comment

For those in Sydney that are yet to complete their chimney flue I found a mob in Kingsgrove who make their own on-sight

Try looking up Fred A. Mashman ~ Terracotta products since 1908

they have a great selection of glazed or natural terracotta pots. Their range includes over 50 chimney pots, which are either hand thrown or molded

11 Mashman Avenue,
        Kingsgrove, NSW, 2208, Australia.
        Phone: 02 9502 2344
        Last edited by John K; 02-04-2010, 06:26 AM.
        John

The difference between a successful person and others is not the lack of strength, nor the lack of knowledge… but rather, the lack of will power.

Comment

Hi John,

Your dome height will be fine. Looks like it's the same as the radius which makes it a perfect sphere. This is very common in pizza ovens and works a treat.

What I have discovered by cooking in my oven, and experiencing a mate's oven, is that each oven has it's own characteristics, regardless of the dimensions.

I agree with 3G... if you find your pizzas are not 100% done on the top, you only have to raise the pizza into the dome for a few seconds to finish it off.

But saying all this, you will never know until you finish building and start cooking. Trust me, when you get to that stage, you will fall in love with your oven and love how it cooks.

enjoy.. it's looking great.

M
          Whatever you do, do it with a glass of red.

Comment

It has been a month since I last had a chance to work on the oven.

Here are some photos of another completed ring

Not long to go now
            John

Comment

Another ring down!!

Now comes the tricky part
              John

Comment

Very neat!! Good luck with the rest. Are you going to use a form, or continue with the balljointed rod? I know you were worried about the height of your dome, but to me it looks fine... the proof will be in the tasting anyway!
                Whatever you do, do it with a glass of red.

Comment

Thanks Michael. It looks like it will finish spot on 21 inches but as you say "the proof will be in the tasting"

I'll continue with the rod as I find that the Mortar sets within a minute or 2 so no need for a form.

cheers
                  John

Comment

John,
                    Great brick work on the upper rings. From what I have seen it seems to get more difficult to get good tight joints as the circle gets smaller. You seem to have it dialed in. You are close.
                    Eric

Comment

Johh, I can barely stand the anticipation. So close to closing the dome on that last pic! Can't wait to see it.

I've just gone thru your amazing thread with all the great pics and your good craftsmanship. I was so focused on my own oven enclosure roof late last year, I missed much of your oven build and I must say, it's very well done.

I especially appreciate the 1" reveal you cut in to the inner arch bricks instead of off-setting another arch in front for the reveal and I know how much work that is.

Have you decided yet on the vent material? You probably noticed how uncommitted I was in your post to me about it . I just don't know since I've never done this stuff before but have seen others do so well with clay pipe that I hate to bash it but i have such a nice experience with the SS duratech and I'm glad I bought it. Can't go wrong either way.
                      Cheers, Dino
                      "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
                      http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
                      http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Hey John,
                        Yor brickwork is so tight and neat it's almost a shame to cover it with insulation. You should be very proud, Great job
                        Cheers
                        Mark

Comment

Originally posted by eprante View Post
                          John,
                          Great brick work on the upper rings. From what I have seen it seems to get more difficult to get good tight joints as the circle gets smaller. You seem to have it dialed in. You are close.
                          Eric
                          Thank you for your kind words Eric

The issue I have is I can become a bit pedantic hence the time taken to get this far. I am a banker these days but the old cabinetmaker in me is coming out in this build ie less than 1 millimeter tolerances!!!

I guess the biggest hurdle is trying to find time!

cheers
                          John

Comment

Originally posted by Dino_Pizza View Post
                            I especially appreciate the 1" reveal you cut in to the inner arch bricks instead of off-setting another arch in front for the reveal and I know how much work that is.

Have you decided yet on the vent material? You probably noticed how uncommitted I was in your post to me about it . I just don't know since I've never done this stuff before but have seen others do so well with clay pipe that I hate to bash it but i have such a nice experience with the SS duratech and I'm glad I bought it. Can't go wrong either way.
                            Cheers, Dino

Thanks Dino

As you pointed out, a fair bit of work does go into that 1 inch reveal and to be honest I probably would not have done it until I saw you had run with the reveal, I thought it looked great so I thought I would base my opening on yours. Sorry!!

Still not sure about the vent yet. Im kinda thinking of building the flue out of the purple face brick you see in the photos (solid pressed brick) but not sure how well it will draw. I have been concentrating on my open grill to the right of the oven. I want to have this ready for Easter as I am going to be cooking a lamb on the spit!!. i can taste it already!!

Cheers
                            Last edited by John K; 03-14-2010, 05:05 AM.
                            John

Comment

Originally posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
                              Hey John,
                              Yor brickwork is so tight and neat it's almost a shame to cover it with insulation. You should be very proud, Great job
                              Cheers
                              Mark
                              Thanks Mark

Being the first time I have worked with masonry I am fairly happy with the progress but not time spent.

To be honest looking at yours and others builds on the forum has helped along the way so without everyones help I would not be where I am today so thank you!!

cheers
                              John

Comment

I was thinking about the insulation blanket and final rendering of the dome and would like your thoughts on an idea.

What if I decided to wrap the insulation blanket which is installed around the dome with aluminium foil (Kitchen grade). Once fully wrapped with foil I only then apply the chicken wire and finishing concrete render/stucco.

My thought is to essentially provide a slip joint between the insulation blanket and external finished material to allow any movement of the fire bricks and blanket.

This should hypothetically reduce cracks that might otherwise appear.

Any thoughts on the above?
                                John

Comment

Working...
                                X