FINALLY!!! - Start Of Building My Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FINALLY!!! - Start Of Building My Oven

I wrap a piece of the stainless around the flue pipe and secure it with wire so that it is a nice sliding fit. Then you can remove it and ffix your collar into the flue gallery.thrive
    Last edited by david s; 06-07-2011, 02:08 AM. Reason: iPad can't spell
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks, will keep that in mind when having the Flue Manufactured.

I just had another thought but don't know if it will quite work.
      I'm thinking of making my Collar such that it Protrudes upwards by about 15CM.
      At about 7CM I will fit in 2 Hand Winding Screws directly opposite each other. When I slot the Flue into the Collar, I will tighten the screws so it holds the Flue in place. My concern however is will smoke escape from the collar if there is a small gap. The smallest gap i can think of is +-3mm.

Thanks
      Regards

Comment

Mine is a tighter fit than that. You might just be able to fit a playing card in the gap. It doesn't leak smoke.

Comment

Hi David

I've just called through an exhaustive list of Suppliers for the Flue Pipe and I'm shocked that no one has the size of 127mm. Its either they have sizes smaller than that, only going upto 100mm or they have sizes starting from 200mm, so its just my bad luck.

I did find a supplier who has 125mm Diameter (2mm Thick) Mild Steel Flue which is 1.2M high but I'm not happy with the price.

Is there any other Material I can use for the Flue? If there is, I can start looking for suppliers of that material because Steel Pipes in this size is like Gold on a mountain.

Thanks
          Regards

Comment

Go to a local sheet metal worker. Any of them should be well experienced in making downpipes. Stainless steel is the best material to use.

Comment

Hi David

I've just gone through a dozen or more companies looking for pipes but my luck has just ran out. I went to see the company that i mentioned in previous message and the pipe they have is Mild Steel. You suggest i go that route?

The other option on the top of my head is i can get my hands on some Stainless Steel Sheeting and have someone who has good welding skills shape the sheet into 127mm tube and weld the seams which will result in a 127mm pipe.

I was thinking of also maybe using the idea above, but instead of shaping it in a Round tube, i could shape it in a Square Tube which to me seems easier to weld.

What's you thoughts?

Thanks
              Regards
              Last edited by Oven_Man; 06-10-2011, 06:43 AM.

Comment

They are usually not welded but rolled and joined by folds. Go to yor local sheet metal worker.

Comment

Hi David

Just wanted your advice.
                  I've managed to locate a supplier who stocks Galvanised Flue Pipes. Its 125mm Diameter, 1.2M in length and 0.6mm thickness at a fairly reasonable price.

What's your thoughts?

Thanks
                  Regards
                  OM

Comment

if you use galvanized steel you will have to replace it in a couple of years. Stainless is more expensive but way better.If you make the flue removable then replacing it would be very easy, so maybe the galv. Is worth giving a go, if cost is a factor.
                    Last edited by david s; 06-15-2011, 05:18 AM.

Comment

• Re: FINALLY!!! - Start Of Building My Oven

Hi again

You right, it would give me time to find the right flue for my oven so Galv. it would be.

I've just had another thought.
                      When I'm casting my Vent, I will make the Section For my Flue Pipe in the following way.

The very bottom section of the vent will have a hole 6". It will then gradually close of into a 5" Hole. The 5" hole will then protrude out at the top of the vent by about 2" upwards (The reason for this is so the flue will sit deep enough in the hole to hold in place without tilting). I will then line the 5" hole with Ceramic Blanket and then add on some vermiculite to seal the blanket in place. This way, the flue wont conduct as much heat as it would if it were in direct contact with the refractory material i will be using to cast and hopefully the flue will last a little longer.

In theory it sound right but what do you think?

Regards
                      OM

Comment

I still think a stainless steel sleeve, outside the galvanized flue pipe is better. It can remain in place permanently and the galvanized pipe will be a nice sliding fit. Any direct flame impingement on the galvanized flue will tend to hasten it's corrosion. When making you flue gallery you can keep the entry shallow by funneling. Think of a plastic funnel that you can squeeze its mouth into an oval shape. This way your gallery will still provide adequate volume down low without increasing your entry depth.

Comment

I understand what you mean with the Stainless Steel Sleeve, only problem is I won't be able to find one. How else can i make this collar?

Sorry, I'm being blonde once again but I'm failing to understand the part about funneling.
                          Here's another picture of the way I understand your comments. If possible, maybe you can interject on that picture and correct anything that seems a miss?

Thanks so much for all your patience and assistance.
                          Greatly appreciated
                          Regards

Comment

If you can't get any stainless, then you could wrap some thin cardboard (about 1mm thick) around your flue pipe, cover that in thin plastic to ensure it releases ok and cast up to this. When you remove the pipe, discard the cardboard and you'll have a nice sliding fit, but it may wear the castable a bit sliding the pipe in and out.
                            Her are some pics of my flue gallery which explains how I've done mine and been able to achieve a shallow entry.

Comment

Here's how the flue fits the sleeve.

Comment

Hi Guys

There has been a little progress with my Oven. My Oven Trolley has been completed but I've sent it back for a few more mods though it won't look much different than what's attached.

I'm jumping the gun a bit and couldn't help but think the next phase of this project i.e. Joining all the pieces together.
                                My plan is as follows but feel free to correct me if you find any flaw or forsee any problems.

1) I will be laying 2" of ceramic board ontop of the trolley. My concern is what will the ceramic board stick to, to hold it in place? Should i maybe place a layer of thin steel sheeting or can i lay the board directly on the trolley as you see the trolley in the pic.

2) Directly ontop of the ceramic board will be the Firebrick. I will smear some Mortar on the ceramic board and place the bricks. Will mortar hold onto the ceramic board or steel for that matter? Any other recommendations?

3) I've read that one should use Medium Duty Firebrick with atleast 38% alumina and +-2 to 2.5 inches thick. I did find a supplier but the thickness is 3" and feel it may be too thick and take too long to heat up. Am i correct in my thinking.

4) My dome will sit around the firebrick,covered with about 1/2" mortar and then wrapped with 2" ceramic blanket ontop of which 1" of perlite or whatever other insulating cement i can find ontop of which some stucco or paint, which ever is easier to find. I should also mention i will be strapping the dome down with steel belts to hold it in place. Any flaws in this thought?

Thanks guys
                                Again, please comment on my thought above and correct me if anything seems a miss.

By the way guys, i found this link http://fornobravo.com/commercial_piz...istorante.html in James thread about Oven Opening Size but it doesn't seem to work. I'd really like to see what james is talking about since I'm anticipating similar issues and this will be a perfect work around. Please let me know if you have an alternate link or maybe someone can post a picture here.

Regards
                                OM

Comment

Working...
                                X